• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bald Eagle Lake

The ice out in the middle of the lake was plain scary on Saturday. The wind was moving it up and down quite a bit. It should be lots better now with all the cold we've had since then.

How hard was the North end being fished and the Ice thickness. Just trying to gage how long it will be safe to walk out to the island

North end was actually getting hit pretty hard already, there were 15 or so out there. Good ice on the north and, and I'm sure you can now safely make it to the island. I'd wait a few more days for ATV's though.

I was out to the island this morning and taped the ice @ 6.5". I don't have a wheeler so I think those of you who do should wait a couple weeks for safe ice smile.gif

Isn't 6 inches good enough for an atv? If it's 6.5 at the island, do you think the rest of the lake is that thick?

With the temps this week, atv's should be good to go by Thursday.

Which side and how far out from it, N of it off the drop 33 ft or was it southEast 40 ft area, thanks

My brother an I hit BE tonight. I was happy to see 4 to 8 inches of ice on the few spots we checked. unfortunately the crowds are already out there, we ended up with about 15 houses in the general area we were fishing. A few real loud groups at that. We were skunked at the first spot So we tried a different one. Same result. Talked to few other that had similar luck. NONE. I guess that why they call it fishin and not catchin.

Hopefully do to the late freeze we did not miss the early ice bite. We did see a few 4 wheelerS doing about 40mph across the lake in the dark on a few different occasions. Not too much longer and that lake will be over run with crowds. May have to try some new lakes.

Good fishes

A couple friends of mine were off the reeds this afternoon and evening. They had consistent action of Walleys. Kept three and lost several at the top of the hole. It's to bad if the circus returns to Bald Eagle so early...Good luck all

I've fished bald eagle a few times, but usually south of the island. If you don't mind telling, what depth where they catching walleyes at? Usually there are tons of houses by the reeds, so I never fished that area.

Hey Twister,

Were you out by the weed bed out from the boat lauch? I was out there also. I also got skunked, and I think it can be attributed to the loud people out there. The loud, rude people are already out. I had some kids drag their house over my tip up which was less than 8 ft from my house. I also don't understand why people use gas augers with 4" of ice? Hopefully someone can explain.

I could understand a gas auger for 8 inches, but not 4.

Were you out yesterday? Do you think it would be safe to drive an atv today or tommorow?

Take it easy on the gas auger users out there. While it seems silly, not everyone has multiple augers. Myself, I only have a gas auger so when I go out I use the auger I have. This weekend I was out with a friend who has a hand auger and we did use his auger because it does seem silly to use a power auger for ice that thin. Just a thought to ponder I guess.

wink.gif

ill second that me and my old man were and these guys were punchin holes all over with the gas augers my old man was punching threw faster with our old hand auger than the guys with the gas auger.

Is anybody else having a hard time finding the panfish out here now? All I am getting is small perch right now. The last few years we've gotten into them pretty good. Walleyes are biting decent....caught 4 last night and lost 2.

Hey Crap-eye, I saw you out there last night. I here you on the power augers being loud and all, however if that is all you can afford then I have no problem with that. Someone else can lug it around I'll stick with the small diameter hand auger till we get at least a foot of ice. If I am off fishing all by my self please don't belly up 20 feet from my house and start drilling your checker board grid with my house being the center of your circle. The lakes are everybodies and none of us own them oursleves so lets all just show a bit of common courtesy.

Good fishin.

I would say gas augers are just fine no matter the thickess. The problem exists when the a holes come within 20 feet of your house during prime time and punch a bunch of holes. I try to get there early to establish my spot away from others so my gas auger should never be an issue. I am a one auger owner as well. Have pondered looking for a hand auger, though, I hate toting that dang 50lb auger around the lake. Anyways back to my point find yourself a secluded spot and you really won't care about the augers. Secondary structure that is quiet is better than the prime spots with 40 noisy fisherman on them. Last year a bunch of houses were on the south end of the island i went to the north end, found a nice hump on the bar and did quite well. Had almost 3 weeks of fishing before anyone else bothered me. That is the key I think being by yourself!

"I also don't understand why people use gas augers with 4" of ice? Hopefully someone can explain." Crapp-eye I can explain it to you. After 25 yeats of factory work Ive had over 50% of the cartalidge in my right elbow removed, when you get to that point your options a limited. I hope you learned something today, not everyone is healthy but they still can enjoy the outdoors with the right equiptment,when you get older maybe you'll understand then.

Ole,

The best bite has been from 3:30-5:00PM. It started out good last week, but has been slowing down quite a bit the last few nights. We had muskies in the area tonight - caught one about 36 inches, so they may be running off the walleyes.

Anyone been having success fishing in the morning when the sun comes up for eyes or crappies? Thanks

Thanks for the info. Anyone been having any luck recently?

I'll be going out tonight, I'll probably try south of the island and or the grass area.

I'll report how I do tonight.

Ole

I was wondering the same thing. How is the ice at the access? Can you get on the lake with a mini-van or car, or would you need a atv or 4x4 truck?

I wouldn't say its safe, but last night there were trucks and cars driving from the grassy island back to the launch.