Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Crappie_J

Phalen

Crappie_J

I fished phalen tonight for about an hour and a half. I managed to catch 2 walleyes 15" and 15.5". The ice was about 4" in the area where I was fishing.

Mr. Pike1

Good to see you had some early walleye success. I drove by there this morning and there was a lot of open water in the middle.

Mr. Twister

Hey there guy's. I have never fished Phalen before and thought it might have to be on my list of lakes to try this winter. I have never been there before. Is there a good place(s) to park? Also does the lake usually freeze over real well or are there areas that year in and year out are bad? Thanks. If I try it I'll send my report. Too bad it is gonna have to wait till after Christmas.

Crappie_J

There are parking lots on the north, south, and west sides of the lake and on the east side you can park on the side streets. Usually the ice is pretty safe everywhere except sometimes on the north end the ducks will keep an area open. Also I have heared there are some springs in the lake, but I dont know how much of an effect on the ice they have.

Mr. Twister

Thanks for the info. If I get out there after x-mas I will let you know How things went. That calms my nerves a bit. I always hate going to a new lake. The ice makes me a bit nervous unless I've been there before.

Good catchin!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• JerkinLips
      9-11am was best time both days.
    • littlebear
      If you are willing to go a little further into Canada, I would recommend Hollinshead Resort, a few hours north of Thunder Bay.  The resort is the only one on the lake, and in June offers excellent Walleye Fishing, as well as some dandy Northern Pike.  It's somewhere you can drive to as well. 
    • monstermoose78
      Caught 20-23 gills and 6 crappies. Fun day on the 10 inches of ice. The whole lake was close to the same where I cut all the holes out and around
    • Wanderer
      I’m still seeing very random thicknesses all over.  In the past few days I’ve been from St. Cloud to Winnie and have seen vehicles on the ice and open water on the same lake. I’m in Little Falls.  Tonight I checked 2 lakes NW of town.  Both had people fishing.  One looked to be safe for wheeler travel and the other, very near it, still had an open lead and you could see the difference between the first sheet of ice and the second. I hope it doesn’t get covered with snow anytime soon so we can still tell where the changes are. Be safe. Bring floatation and picks.  And don’t drive yet! Ruh ro....
    • Bigfatbert
        Nice fish , great pics ,, what times of the day were best for you ?        
    • KidMoe
      I was on a small north metro lake today and found between 2.5 and 4 inches. One of the spud bar holes I punched started spewing water up so definitely needs a little more time. 
    • trebormorgan
      I was out on Round Lake last night (12/9/17) for the first time of the year. I was very surprised to see 12 inches of ice. I checked a few other holes and found anywhere from 11-12 inches. Keep in mind, I was about 300 yds out from the southeast shoreline. I’m not sure if it’s consistent across the middle of the lake. I only saw one group with a snowmobile. All other groups walked out, at least where was.  Anyone have any reports for ice thickness on other lakes in the area?
    • Billy G
      Alot of open water pockets on bigger lakes still, some people out on cannon on 3 inches about 60 yards or less from shore. 
    • sartellangler05
      Called baitshop, he said people are going out from beach and a couple houses out. Wouldn't say how much ice. Who's got an ice depth?
    • Mike89
      awesome fish!!!!  see ya in March!!