Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iffwalleyes

Dec 18 Report

6 posts in this topic

Well it wasn't a warm day on the ice yesterday but we stuck it out. We put our limit together of 14" or better fish by 2:00 pm and then it was time to head for the Wigwam to warm up with some drinks. We were going to head out this morning but with the temp the 4 wheeler had other plans. It was too cold for it to start so we decide that if it was too cold for the 4 wheeler it was too cold for us. So we packed it in and head home. We fished in 26' of water and had about 13" of ice where we were over by pine. Hot lures for us again this weekend were plain old gold kahle hook on the dead stick lines. On the jigging lines I stuck with a glow red JR rattle jigging spoon, Gold/Orange Chubby darter, and JR's pink and white crusher. My buddy got some on a perch and glow red jigging shad rap as well as some other colored JR crushers.

Sounds like you had a good trip, until this AM. We've all been waiting for the cold, but it got just a touch extreme. Are the resorts, Adrians, Riverbend pulling the permanents out over Pine. Headed up a week from tomorrow. Will have to call ahead and see what the transportation mode will be, resort or wheelers. Thanks for your update. Bill

iffwalleyes, I am heading up tomorrow out of Wigwam. Were shiners the bait of choice?

Matt

Bill yes Rivebend was taking people out in their little SUV and trailers. They had there house out and Adrian's did too. It looked like most of the resorts in that area are running. Shiners were what we used. We talked to some guys that hadn't done to well yesterday they were fishing shallower. I was up last week and fished a little shallower and got fish but this weekend I was deeper and the fish that we got were nicer fish. I would think that by next week pick ups will be out there. There were 2 pick ups that had driven out to Pine and parked on the Bay side of the island. Not the smartest idea after what I saw last week but where we were fishing the old chipper dipper showed 13".

Just talked to a friend that is up there. Fished in 19 feet of water Sunday morning. Dropped down his depth weight and caught a walleye on it as he was reeling it up. He was fired up. He only caught two more walleyes in the next couple hours. They moved out to 22 feet then. Caught around 35 fish. A good mix of walleye and sauger. Did really well with a hammered gold Angel Eye Jr. If the fish came up slow they were not biting, if they came up fast they hammered it. Not many small fish, most in the 14-16 length.

Iffwalleyes: Thanks for the update. Sounds like a week from now will also make a huge difference. Not sure if I want to drive a full size Yukon out there, we'll have to see. At least the resorts are able to transport. Thanks again for the help. Bill