Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Foss

Shagawa 'eye for supper

10 posts in this topic

Spent a couple hours off Sandy Point on Shag for the evening bite. Set up in 27 FOW. Some shelters were shallower, some deeper.

Had two eyes on, almost at the same time about 4:05, one on a small glow angel eye tipped with minnow head, the other on bare hook/minnow/bobber. Caught the one off the AE, a 15-incher. Had the other on for a bit. Seemed bigger, but not by a lot, and got off before the hole. I got ready for some nice action, figuring at least 15 minutes of hot and heavy.

But that was it for the 'eyes. The dinner bell obviously was calling them from one place to another place, and I was just on the route to the mess hall, not fishing in the mess hall itself.

Fished until after 5 p.m with no other action but a 10-inch perch. Caught two other 10-inch perch earlier, so it was fresh walleye for Mrs. Catfish and fresh perch for Mr. Catfish. A household full of happy catfish, is what I'm saying.

Sometimes, a guy can ask for too much.

Stinky ditch has been yielding up fish too, they said at the bait store.

Steve ~ Sounds like we did about the same. I fished Swan Lake this evening (10" shore ice)and caught two walleye around 4:00 p.m., a 14" and a 15" (and missed one other)but that was it. I stayed until a little after 5:00 p.m. My only other fish was a 10" perch, which I threw back. We did, however, have the small walleyes for supper tonight.

That's about as fresh as fish can get! Happy Holidays...Greg C.

Greg, you have a fine Christmas yourself.

I see you finally had to scratch that walleye itch! Its about time you came over to where the grass is greener!

Happy Holidays! By the way do you always cross your legs while sitting on a rock? blush.gif

Thanks for the info I'm heading up for Chistmas and would enjoy any further updates.

Steve - Thanks for the update. Can't wait to get up there.

Well, I'm off from now through next Monday. With the weather turning to crap, hard to say how much I'll get out and when.

If I do Shag again (Mrs. Catfish and her walleye fillet Jones could send me there), I'll let you know how it goes.

"eye for supper" Stf in your case "the other white meat" grin.gif

Or "Walleye — it's what's for dinner." Sounds like a great TV ad campaign. But, geez, something tells me it's been done before. cool.gif

err...How about "Walleye! It's not just for breakfast anymore!" (but it IS darn (can I say "darn"?) good for breakfast. Skin-on filets with a little corn meal? Put on your head and your tongue'll beat your brains out tryin' to get to it! Best of Luck to all ya'll and yer's, Merry Christmas and a Fishy New year!