• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brittany Training

loosegoose

I'll be getting my first Brittany in the spring and am looking for some input on a good book and/or video to train my dog for hunting.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you can find it, the book "do it right, do it yourself" By Len Jenkins is a wonderful guide to training a pointing dog. I have trained my dogs with his methods and am very happy with the results. I would also suggest enrolling your pup in some kind of puppy program with a professional trainer. These programs are usually about a month long, where they are introduced to live birds, gunfire, hunting with other dogs and range. These pros have the resources and knowledge to introduce things at the right time and dosage. Once you have a good foundation you can start to emplore your own techniques and preferences, and make your dog into the hunting partner that I'm sure you are envisioning right now. Most programs are quite reasonable, 4-500 bucks. It sounds like a lot of money, but when you consider the lifetime of quality hunting that you will enjoy with a well trained animal, it comes out to pennies per flush. Good luck with the new pup.

I have an 11 month old Brittany and 3 or 4 tapes and a couple of books that you could borrow. Videos are kind of expensive $25 or so. Watch, read and return. Got a house is Blaine and work in Bloomington. Let me know

My 6 month old Brittany is in training at Elk River Kennels with Al Freiberg right now. Picking him up on January 17th. I can't wait. I miss him big time and my 18 month old daughter is really sad now that he is not at home.

Thank God for pictures.

I have a German Shorthair and although I picked up a number of books and videos I would agree that some professional time is well worth the expense.

If you can find someone in your area that belongs to NAVHDA both you and the dog would benefit greatly. I was a complete novice to pointers when I got my dog, but the kennel I bought her from got me interested in joining. I was able to do training with other experienced trainers and amateurs (most of them) on working with a pointer and to this date I'd say it was most important to teach me what to do instead of teaching the dog because I was most likely just going to screw the dog up!

I also had the opportunity to work with the trainer at the kennel for a limited cost (maybe $25 a session or so)which really helped since then I didn't have to buy and store birds, etc..

I didn't go real far in NAVHDA regarding testing but I know that the base time I spent that first 15 months or so has got me a dog that I can count on.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.