Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ReelTimes

Caribou, Nichols. Elora,

13 posts in this topic

Just got back from a few days at LOW.Fishing was good although the cold front today definitely slowed things down. Wondering if anyone has any ice reports from Caribou, Nichols, and Elora Lakes. Thanks.

Reeltimes can you e-mail some info from your trip. I may head up next week. walleyes4me32 at aol dot com

You have mail.

Nichols has a foot. Not positive about the others, but i know that there's been machines on them for quite some time now. I think they should be driveable in the near future.

I was out on Caribou on Sunday and believe it or not there were 3 trucks out there along with some permanent shacks.

Nunnu

I was out on the pike and then caribou today, caught a bunch of perch on pike and got one eye and one crappie on caribou, pretty slow on caribou, anybody do well for crappies on caribou during early ice period? I did well during late ice out there. Any thoughts? Nunnu, how did you do? Later AJ

A friend of mine just got back from Elora and he said he could not keep the crappies of his hook. Of course no details on what part of the lake he was fishing! wink.gif

AJ,

I was out on Caribou at least 6 out of 7 evenings last week and did pretty poor. Ran into a couple of northerns. I had the lake looking like swiss cheese looking for them. I tried everything from 9 to 20 FOW. It's true that late ice is better, but I've never had this kind of luck in the beginning of the year. Anyday now they should start hitting. They're probably in the shallows and haven't made their way to that deep hole yet.

I'm hoping to get the big house out there sometime this week. Look for the house with the Finnish flag hangin off it.

L8R,

Nunnu

I was looking for Elora lake on the DNR lakefinder but i couldn't find it. Can anyonetell me where Elora is and maybe how to go about fishing it? Maybe just push me out in the right direction. Crappies sound pretty tasty. Good luck.

We all don't spell that one the same way. smirk.gif Try Leora on your search.

I'd probably try moving around the deep spot on that lake. I did hear that there were some decent sized crappies in there, but i've never fished it. I would imagine you'd have some luck over the deeper water though. Good luck

Lost it @ the hole:

Take Hwy 53 north of Duluth. When you pass the Nichols Lake Road sign start looking for Three Lakes Road on the right. There is a closed gas station on the corner. Take a right on the TLR and follow until it ends (2 miles) and it will T off. Turn right and you will see a lake on the left that is Dodo Lake. TLR will make a sharp left and follow to landing for Elora on right about 1/2 mile. As of Monday (12-20) there was 8 to 10 inches of ice so drive at your own risk. The secret crappie spot is located just to the left of the big.................

Thanks for all the great info guys.