Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
psegriz

swampman

8 posts in this topic

I used to have a partner in the bait bus down that way just wondering if you were him. I'm from brooten.
e-mail at psegriz@hotmail.com if you want

Nope ,not me I was in buis with my dad he is retired up in ottertail county now. I did used to meet one of my buyers in brooten though , used to put minnows on his truck on the west end of town, I think its a liquor store now used to be a convience store.used to be a guy from atwater that would meet him there to.

I know I've met you just can't put a name to a face
Preston Estby is mine
You know me or you don't
GRIZ

Hi Preston my name is Mike Kath my dads name is Jim.We operated out of Buffalo, I dont think we have met but your name does ring a bell I proably saw your traps someplace I dont know if you ever trapped down this way we ,used to get out around the hutch area once in awhile, and I did do some test trapping out in that area a couple of times, closer to the sunburg area.I am sure we proably did buisness with some of the same guys at some point though.

[This message has been edited by swampman (edited 03-11-2004).]

swampman you ever trap on pelican,i grew up on it ,lots of minnows,we used to get them by the pail fulls out of our front yard,they came threw culverts,was pretty cool

Swampman i got a question for ya ,,, is there any reason that the majority of the bait shops dont carry shiners and rainbow/dace minnows . Granted shiners are tough to keep alive so i can somewhat understand the reasons for those , but the Dace minnows are lots Hardier than fatheads and work better for me anyhow. any tips of where and at what times of year that anyone caries thos in the buffalo area?

DEWOUTDOOR70 you must have lived on the e ne side of the lake .yea pelican used to be one of our main lakes. I spent more hours on that lake than proably any other. It got trapped by alot of bait companies there arent many minnow lakes that size in the whole state ,I dont miss driving on it in the winter though ,dangerous lake.ROCKHARDIN MN as far as the shiners most shops do carry them in the spring and winter they are harder to handle in the warmer monthes and there is a supply problem with them also. As far as rainbows they arent a abundent minnow and are time consuming to get there really arent any in this general area. dace are somewhat the same you have to go north of here aways before you run into them although pelican lake was full of them for about a year and then they just dissapeared. One thing that bait shops dont like about dace is they are hard to keep in a tank they like to jump and you often have to put something around the edges of your tanks to keep them in, they are good minnows though.

Thanks for the info . i know what y6ou mean about them not being in this area often , sure wish we could get them easier in the area thou ,, and it sure dont hurt to ask . wink.gif