Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Shakopee to Belle Plain Report

10 posts in this topic

I fished the Carver Rapids today and found some very active channel cats.Picked up 10 cats ranging from 2lbs to 5lbs.I also watched as two guys vertically jigged a current edge and they picked up 3 walleyes.Every one they picked up came from the very same spot,at the beginning of where two currents met and formed a small channel of about 10ft.This spot was only a boat length big but the all the fish were holding there.I know this because as soon as they left I was all over it!! grin.gifThanks guys!I picked up two 2lbers right of the bat and then the bite ended.I also was bit off three times.Darn those slimy razor toothed critters!
Water temp today was 51 and the river has come up a few inches.

There was plenty of action at the Carver Rapids today.We managed to get quite a few saugers and a couple small walleye,along with many other species.(I think cold water does to catfish what it does to a man though "shrinkage" you know what I mean)Although I was operating the boat Dark managed to get some fish also.(I need to practice my boat control).It was a very pleasant day,and although the rapids are a little tough to get to with the water levels as low as they are we had some company today.Its nice to see freindly happy people out on the river,and I don't mind sharing a spot with people wearing smiles!

Once again the Carver Rapids produced saugers and it gave up about half a dozen small walleye.I also caught 2 crappies!
On my way home I fished the Sand Creek outlet and picked up two more walleye,one right after the otherone nice chunky one too.I would have liked to stay longer but my time ran out.I bet they would have been thick in there!

Becarefull out there the water is low and there are many hidden snags ,dead headsand sand bars.I saw one guy floating home today after he snapped his shear pin.

I RAN DOWN TO CARTER'S CORNER TONIGHT FOR A QUICKY AND GOT ONE SMALL EYE. BOY THE WATER IS GOING DOWN AGAIN, THERES A WATERLINE OF LEAVES FROM LAST WEEK THATS A WAYS FROM WHERE THE WATER IS NOW.
I MAY HAVE TO TRY THE CREEK OUTLET IN CARVER TOMORROW AFTER WORK...WE'LL SEE.
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Well the bite is still on.
I tried a new spot today that I had found earlier in the year that I thought might be a good walleye spot.Well it is!It is a small rock hump that rises 10 feet.Its located in a stretch of the river that has natural"wing dams" on both sides.There are numerous places for the fish to hold.Today they were holding behind the the hump and to one side of one of these"wing dams"in a current "push"There were walleye,sauger,and white bass there.Nothing really big but none of these little guys either.

I also had to run up to the rapids with about an hour left of daylite,I nabbed 3 nice saugers and two 14" walleye.I didn't stay for the dusk bite...dumb bass

Unfortunately I have to work tommorrow.I may miss the last nice day of fall.
Temps were prime at 48 degrees and the water levels have risen just a bit but are where I have had most luck at the rapids for a shallow water bite(just the right amount of current comming over the rocks)

Fishhead, Why did I know you were going to post and rub it in. grin.gif

Was way tempted to call you, but my sister needed her bathroom tiled frown.gif

Paul

HEY FISHHEAD, I THOUGHT YOU HAD TO DEVOTE A LITTLE TIME TO THE LITTLE LADY THIS WEEKEND? I SAW YOUR TRUCK PARKED DOWN AT THE CHASKA RAMP SAT. AFTERNOON...YOU DID TAKE HER WITH DIDN'T YOU? I WAS WONDERING HOW YOUR BOAT CONTROL WAS WORKING OUT WITH THE BOSS IN IT! grin.gif

I WENT DOWN TO THE BLUE EARTH TONIGHT AND GOT A COUPLE EATER SIZE RIGHT BEFORE DARK.
WET NETS!

------------------

Just wondering if I could get my boat up to the Carver Rapids area. It's a Alumacraft Lunker with a 40hp Honda. I also don't feel like wrecking it.

RAINMAN, THE RIVER IS WAY TOO LOW FOR A LARGER RIG RIGHT NOW SO I WOULD SAY NO DON'T TRY IT.
FISHHEADS JET MOTOR ON THAT SMALL BOAT GOES RIGHT UP THERE THOUGH....BOY, THAT THING IS SLICK!
WET NETS!

------------------

Dark
I was home for a couple hours saturday morning,Thats good enough! grin.gif.Besides she has company...her horse and all those cats!
Maybee we should try after work one of these nights,you pick the spot.

Rainman,
I have seen a 16ft aluminum bass boat up there a couple of times.They did say it was tough.The most dificult spots would be bellow the train bridge in Carver(1 and 1/2 feet at the deepest spot.Upstream from carver creek to the next bend is very shallow but it is mostly sand with a few logs here and there.stay to the left side heading upstream.Between sand creek and Ole's bend,stay close to the big snag,and hug the outside bend.Then you should have no problem untill you get to the last bend before the stretch to the rapids,but again this is mostly sand.There are a few other tricky spots if you want you can email me and I will walk you through the whole trip from the Carver launch.Keep her trimed up in these spots if you try it.Always stay to the outside bends.It would be a slow go but I think you could make it,the water has come up a little.Bring a spare prop and an extra shear pin.I will be fishing on saturday if all goes well,maybee I will see you out there.
Good luck!

PW
You should have!It would have been a good time.Maybee I would'nt have used my expert boat control on you smile.gifCall any time.
ps I am going to have to take up Elk hunting,Yuuummmmyy.Plain burgers,I didn't even drown them in catchup!

fishhead
fishheadds@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by fishhead (edited 11-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by fishhead (edited 11-12-2001).]