Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where are the walleye?

8 posts in this topic

I spent 10 hours on saturday and 10 hours on sunday and caught 3 sheephead and one flathead.During the daylite hours I vertically jigged the deep rocky channels,deepest pools and rock bars.I caught one 15lb flathead in the pool in front of sand creek.In the dusk and after dark I concentrated on creek mouths,shallow sand flats with large amounts of bait visible,and the granite shelves that form rapids.
Water levels are faily stable but the temps are rising.They went from 61 on saturday to 63 on sunday.Baitfish activity seem to be diminishing.There is less bait on the surface at dark than a few days ago.
Any one have any ideas how to find and catch these guys.They should be on the bite by now.

[This message has been edited by fishhead (edited 09-30-2001).]

HANG IN THERE FISH! WE'LL FIND UM! MAYBE THEY'RE STILL SCARED OF US FROM LAST SPRING! TALK TO YOU SOON.
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I found them!
I fished sand creek and the rapids today.First I tried shallow at the mouth of Sand creek,there was no activity,no bait fish nothing.I tried trolling raps while I watched the sonar and noticed a few fish here and there in anywhere from 10 to 12 ft.They would not take the rap so I vertically jigged the area with large shiners and small chubs and picked up afew at the head of the deep pool just tucked in a small depresion along the north side.These fish went only between 16 and 18".The bite slowed so I headed to the rapids.Again I trolled raps and I was marking fish all over the place in the deep water below the first set of rapids and down the long channel that leads up to the fast water.I vertically jigged the whole area and was only able to get a couple out of the channel in 10 ft of water.Biggest was 16".Then I tried casting shad raps into the shallow rocks and below the granite shelf.I picked up a few channel cats that were tucked right under the shelf.The first one I hooked went 12lbs.I thought I had a dandy walleye but it came up with whiskers.Still what a fight on walleye tackle in sharp rocks.
Hopefully the bite will only get better and the fish bigger.I think the cooling water temps helped.Water temps were in the mid 50s.

I Lost them!
fished for about 7 hours today and not one walleye.I talked to a couple guys that said that they were having trouble this year also.That made me feel a litlle better!I was sure it wasn't me! grin.gif
I have been noticing something else also,the bait fish(emerald shiners)are scarce this fall.There are places that I fish that are usually just packed.I think next time out I will just drive around until I find these shiners.They were around in late summer but now they seem to be all but gone,along with the walleye,white bass and even the sheephead.

ME TOO! I CASTED FOR AN HOUR LAST NIGHT AT THE BLUE EARTH INLET WITH NO LUCK. GEEEZ! THE WHITE BASS WERE THICK THERE THE OTHER NIGHT! MAYBE I TERRORIZED UM TOO MUCH grin.gif
WET NETS!

------------------

Hey boys,
Are ya holding out? Haven't heard any exciting reports coming about the walldads!!!
I need an excuse to get out!!!

Jim W

JIMW, FISHHEAD AND I ARE GONNA HIT THE BLUE EARTH RIVER OUTLET TONIGHT AGAIN AND SEE IF ANYTHING IS GOING ON BUT SO FAR YOUR NOT MISSING ANYTHING.
WE'RE GOING OUT TO THE LQP MARSHLAKE DAM THIS WEEKEND (HOPEFULLY) AND CHECK THAT TOO.
YOULL BE THE FIRST TO KNOW!....I SUPPOSE IF YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE WE COULD COME UP WITH A FISH STORY OR TWO! wink.gif
WET NETS!

------------------

[This message has been edited by DARK30 (edited 10-17-2001).]

LIKE I SAID JIM....YOUR NOT MISSING MUCH. WE DID MANAGE A COUPLE SMALL WALLEYES AND THE WHITE BASS ARE STILL "ON STRIKE" TOO. I WAS TOLD BY THE GUY I HIRED LAST WEEK THAT THE BEST WATER TEMP FOR THE RIVER IS THE UPPER 40'S AND I THINK ITS STILL WARMER THAN THAT.
HOPEFULLY WE'LL HAVE SOME BETTER LUCK OUT WEST THIS WEEKEND!
WET NETS!

------------------