Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daze Off

CR Dam - Champlin Bridge

6 posts in this topic

Just checked out the landing on the Rum River below the dam and thought I would give it a try on Sunday and fish the Mississippi as well. Anyone willing to share some spots? Never been on that stretch of river before.

Daze, I didn't have much luck there last fall when the temps dropped so I can't be of much help. On the days that I have had luck there, it was on the East bank. Lots of docks and structure. There are some deep banks along there also.

I don't normally fish the pool downstream of the Champlin bridge, but a few years ago we gave it a try.
We caught a lot of smallies, and even a couple wallyes, by trolling with Rattlin Raps.
Going downstream only seemed to work.
We hugged the bank as close as possible, and just slowly moved along. Nothing big that day, but a lot of fish.

There's not really spots per say. Just kinda toot around tell you find em. They'll be either on the flats, break into the main channel, or hugging the shoreline. And anywhere in between of course since we are talking about smallies.

Anyone know the water temp? Is it below 50? I heard snow showers on Saturday and rain on Sunday.

Thanks for the tips guys - too chicken to venture north of Champlin bridge with my boat. Will take your advice and put it to good use - if not Sunday, then soon after.

Daze Off

Dragged minnows in the Anoka area with my buddies in yesterday's sleet. Not one nibble for any of us.