Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Turner

Headed North

Kevin Turner

Monti bound this PM, Most likley last trip of the season. Maybe I'll see ya on the river...Kevin

marblei

Didn't make it up as far as Monti.(I'm 'on-call', so had to stay near home)It was just to dang nice out not to get on water, so took a chance and went out for a couple of hours. Am curious as to how u did up near Monte? I caught a very large number of....(I think someong reffered to them as 'pocket' bass)I mean it is great to know how many little ones there are, which means the fishery is in great shape....(which we all know it is!!!... smile.gif ) I only managed to catch 1 at 16", one 14", and ALL the others were twins at 5-6".Kept thinking if the little ones are hungry, the bigger ones must be too....hmmmm Tried many differant presentations....guess I have ALOT to learn yet!!! Anyone els find this scenario?????ANy suggestions as to where the big guys are in October???? (please...dont tell me in the river).........

vern

Hey Mablei, I had the same kind of luck today. I started throwing cranks & spinnerbaits & caught a few but most were small. I was having better luck when I slowed my presentation down. So I switched to plastics & the slower I worked them the better the results. Tubes & twister tails worked well especially in the brighter colors. Lot's of fish today, but most were small. I think the cold front might have had an effect. I also think the big fish are on the move & will start to stage in the deeper, slower water. - Vern

[This message has been edited by vern (edited 10-02-2004).]

MuleSkinner

I think Vern is right. Deeper, slower water. I fish for walleyes mostly. With live bait. Yesterday, caught mostly small mouths. One was 18 inch. Last year, the more Oak leaves that were floating, the more the bigger bass would bite. Would often catch at least 5 of them over 18 inches each trip.

Unfortunately, most the walleyes are small. Did get 2 nice ones yesterday, plus 5 crappies. I really look forward to October/November on the river. But, gotta get to Scheel's to buy more jigs. And may have to respool my jigging rod for the third time this year...

EBass

I was up in Monti 10/3 afternoon - dusk. I have simular results. 9 small smallies on jigs and cranks just working current breaks. Bill caught 3 alright smallies on tubes. The wind was horrible for my pop can of a boat.

sakman

I fished Saturday afternoon and had a very slow day. Fished slow deep water, slow shallow water, current, current breaks, slack water, riffles, pools, runs (you get the idea). Threw cranks, spinner baits, Senkos, twister tails. I caught 5 small bass and a 27" northern. My son got zipped and his buddy caught one. The other boat in our group boated 2 bass and a 17" northern. The wind made things difficult. With pheasant season about to open, that's probably it for me for the year, time to stash the boat.

HawgTide

Saturday was too cold to even try. Sunday they were biting good. We caught 37 in about 4 hours. Saw lots of RiverPro's out there. Kevin, it was good talking to you again. Also, good meeting you, Notorius. Did Kevin talk you into buying that sweet new RiverPro? grin.gif

MuleSkinner

Ya, that Saturday wind was kind of rough. But it was wierd to me how I still moved fast going downstream against the wind. I fish above the Sartell dam, so not any rapids. Normally it seems like better hook sets going with the current, but Saturday was the opposite. I could go just slow enough upstream with the wind and trolling motor, to just bounce the jig off the bottom. But the boat angle was crooked, which made it harder to get a good hookset.

I just bought some Mimic Minnows, and some Storm brand similar plastic minnows. I used these things 30 years ago as a kid, but now the colors are better, etc. I was thinking of trying these same way I jig with live minnows, slow troll off the bottom.

I admit, though, that I know scratch about using plastics. Seems lately the walleyes tend to mouth live minnows very lightly, where the bass hit them hard, but only once. Will these plastic minnows only entice one quick hit? Or do fish actually mouth 'em for a while? I expect I will get out Tues.or Wed. to try them, but if anyone has basic advice, I am all ears.

Loon

I did great on Saturday...and pretty darn good tonight.

I launched at Snuffy's in Becker on Saturday and fished all the way to Ellison Park in Monticello.

I just stayed 25 feet from shore and flipped a #3 Mepp's as close to the bank as I could. The strikes were almost immediate. Flipping with a Mepp's is something I've never done, but it was working so...

The smallies were on fire...although the big ones were few and far between. Of the 25 or so I caught, most were 12"-14". A few bigger and a few smaller.

Put in tonight at Montissippi and used the same approach with the same results all the way to the Hwy 25 bridge.

It was pretty fun...too bad I can't talk any of my buddies into coming with me. They all think fishing is something you do in the summer with your shirt off.

I keep telling them that it doesn't get good until the leaves are orange and floating on the water, not green and on the trees.

BigMike

Wow - sounds like a mixed report from the weekend. At least you all were fishing - I took the weekend off to take care of the lady (nasty flu going around).

Loon - Welcome to FM grin.gif. It's an awesome site with lots of info and camaraderie! If you ever find an empty spot in the boat, drop me an email: bigmikefm@comcast.net I'll be happy to join you. I wade that section a lot when I'm not headed out with fellow FM'ers.

I'm planning on getting out for the majority of the day this coming Saturday - if I don't find a boating partner you'll see me wading the shores somewhere between Elk River & Becker wink.gif Looks like it's going to be a great Saturday to be out - not too many left before it gets real nasty.

It's great to hear how everyone it doing. Some say spinners, others plastics, others cranks, etc... Once you find what is working, don't shift from it too much - it's likely to be the ticket.

Loon

Went out again tonight...

Same lure...same presentation...same results.

Two 17" smallies and a bunch of 12"-14"...

Life is good...

Gotta go get another Mepp's...again...This one is beat up pretty bad!