Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Royce Aardahl

Almost 20 inches again

18 posts in this topic

A nice 19 1/2 incher this evening along with 8 other nice fish. #3 now. I gotta get a lure that can stretch fish 1/2 inch!!!!!

well that worked real swell smile.gif
try #2

47b4d637b3127cceb4d460c3cdf10000001610

Well, what did you catch it on????

A Senko perhaps? smile.gif

I'm a mepps man, what can I say. smile.gif

Well try a Senko, and you will find the lengths increase by at least 5/8 of an inch.

Nice fish eyeguy!!!

Nice fish eyeguy. Based on what I see in the backround.... I am almost positive there is a 21" in the same vecinity. Just keep pluggin away and "if you throw it, they will hit" grin.gif
It couldn't hurt to use senkos in that stretch of river though. Either way...dang nice fish.

Thanks guys. I tried the senkos and lost 4. I think I was setting the hook too fast. I got snagged a lot also. I need the pros to show me how to fish them. The picture is from south of you hawgin. hint, hint. smile.gif

Nice fish eyeguy! I've only had one fish over 20'' for me but I'm still stoked when a land an 18 or 19incher.

Last night I was over in Elk River again and had a couple of 16inchers. I wish they were pushing 19 but I'll take'em cool.gif

Big Mike,

Let me know when you're going to be in the Elk River area again and could use some company. I'd like to learn the art of river smallie fishing.

John

BigMike,

Sounds like you're starting to like that area. Did you try the park area or that cement thingy? If so how did you do? 16" smallies with current makes a great fight.

Good luck

Mr. Special - I actually fished out of the Otsego Regional Park. I found some good water around that area and the islands there that I wanted to try again. I have it on my check list on the next long evening or day I get to trek downriver from the Otsego park & keep exploring the big bend around downtown Elk River, then on to the "cement thingy" and maybe eventually end up around the Elk River Park. We only covered about a 1/2 mile up from Otsego park Saturday and figure it will take me a day or two on the river to explore the downriver sections. But it's all part of putting your time in and finding the spots!

Juan - we'll get out on the river for sure. River fishing is a completely different ball game than on a lake. Just like there is certain structure in a lake that holds fish, there is certain structure in the river that holds fish, and once you learn the basics of how to read & fish the river you'll save yourself from a lot of time wasted on fishless spots. Maybe we can get the group that met this last weekend together again for some more fishing on the river in Elk River.

Ok - enough about elk river (we can talk about it on the Elk River post wink.gif - I don't want to steal the thunder from eyeguy's awesome fish! Mine was 16, his was 19.5! Again, nice fish eyeguy! What size mepps do you use? 2, 3??

What do you guys mean when you refer to "Mepps?" Are you talking in-line spinners?

yep! Mepps inline spinners (Aglia, Black fury). I don't know about other FM'ers, but when I say mepps - I am usually grouping inline spinners together. I use Mepps Aglia 2 & 3's, Rooster Tails, Terminator inlines, bluefox vibrax, etc...). I always go for the inlines that have "dressed" hooks (basically hair or feathered hooks). I am also drawn to painted instead of brass/gold/silver blades, but to each his own.

I have a bunch of the feather Mepps in my tackle box, but I never use them.

Topwater fishing is by far my favorite, specifically buzz baits. I also have a few Heddon tiny torpedos and some other smaller lures that would work for smallies.

I fish Senkos quite a bit for largemouth so I know how to rig them.

I pretty much stick to Mepps aglias #3 and #4's. I will learn the Senco technique soon smile.gif

Smallie fishing was really good last week beetween the two landings off 39 in otsego me and a buddie caught over 50 fish in a couple hours. for a while it was almost a fish every cast (many were small) the biggest being a 17" i've been trying to get a 20 for 3 years now. in the last couple days the smallie action has slowed but i've been catching walley in 4-6' of water with a pink jig and white tail! I tried some live bait but I couldn't keep the small channel cats off.

Nice fish!!!

Big Mike I just got in from the river Same spot we were on Saturday) and that torpedo has gotten me addicted to topwater I caught 7 fish in three hours the smallest one went 16" and the largest one went 18 or 19" and had so many blowups I lost countwe should get together and work the area closer to Elk River I know that area better

Sounds awesome. I fished that same spot last night and only had a handful of fish and my friend had the same. Largest was only 16.5, smallest 12. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but the front came through and the water had risen an inch or two so I think that may have turned the fish off just a bit. I definitely want to learn more of the area downriver from that spot. I'm sure the best fishing is probably down there (as you probably already know).