• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Elk River on Saturday

BigMike

League is tomorrow night. Gonna wrap up the title baby!!!!

BM has a longgg ways to go to catch up to the Dynamic Duo. smile.gif

Yeah, I still have a way to go, but at the pace I've been on for the last 2-3 weeks, I'll be at 1000 in no time! The only problem for me is that I don't ice-fish so while I sit here and get a post a week if I'm lucky - talking about the latest Bass magazine I'm reading, you guys are keeping the pace. I've got about 6months of the year to catch up to your 12 months a year! Maybe it should be a challenge! LOL. That's about the only challenge you may beat me at - especially if we are talking Smallies! grin.gif D'OH! LOL did I say that.

You guys always crack me up!

I can be the smallie - magnet and you two can be the posting-magnets! Which would you rather be... LOL

Oh what's this... a double post?! Chalk another one up for BM! LOL grin.gif

Quit arguing about how many posts you guys can put on here and start arguin' about how many fish you're catchin'!

BigMike, you put me on some nice bass, I'll take you ice fishing so you can have something to post during the winter. wink.gif

Lost, Good luck getting BM on the ice. He's a Cali boy. And if you do go on the ice BM, the cracking of the ice makes it an interesting experience especially when you're drilling a hole and a crack goes right between your feet. D'OH!

BigMike, I am also a Cali transplant. I grew up where it don't rain and the rivers and lakes are all dried up. I went on the ice for the very first time last year at the Long Lake (New Brighton) ice-fishin' contest. I had no clue what I was doing. Still don't. I saw a bunch of trucks and cars in a circle on the border of the fishing area. I parked in the parkin' lot and hiked down there with all my gear in bucket.

I've loved ice fishin' ever since!

So c'mon, you've been in cold country longer that I have. You can do it. Who knows, I just might join ya in the open-water during ice season.

Yeah, I think I may pass on the ice thing for now. But thanks for the offer! I am from CA (originally) and WI (most recently) but even in the 6 years I've been in MN I still haven't gotten comfortable with walking on the frozen stuff. Plus I have never found the enjoyment in sitting in one spot for hours waiting for fish to come by. But you'll be seeing me fishing on the 'sippi in Monti probably until mid December (thank goodness for warm water discharge! I don't know what I would do if I couldn't fish from October to April. Dec to April is bad enough!). Plus if the weather warms into the upper 30's like it usually does a few times in Jan & Feb, I maybe out in Monti - all catch and release though from like September something until the close of the season sometime in March - then it's down to Pool 2 & 4 for year round catch'n release! grin.gif

Lost & Ebass - good luck trying to get me out there on the frozen stuff. Just one less thing for me to have to spend my money on. EB - remember, I'm trying to save for a boat so I don't have to bum a ride from you! (come to think of it, I don't think I've been on your boat this year...hint hint) LOL!

Lost - I'm planning on fishing the river sections with warm water discharge until my poles ice up or until my wife says absolutely no way! I got out once last year after it an early 1'' snow fall and it was really cool to see the steam coming off the water, snow covered woods and a smallie on the other end of my line smile.gif. You have to be a little more careful when fishing smallies in the winter as to not wear them out. They're saving energy up for the spring spawn and can be pretty delicate the colder it gets - hince the catch and release dates by the DNR from september to late winter and closed season for the spring months.

BM I got the hint! LOL We'll get out one of these Saturdays - that seems to be the best day for both of us. We still have the fall time bite to.

WOW. Impressive turn time!!! There is a reason why you are prostaff. LOL.

Fall time smallies. It doesn't get any better than that! When we went out last fall - that is when you got me addicted to river smallies! Punk. LOL. Man I was pumped when I landed that 19.5incher! Awesome day!

I think it was because the # of posts - LOL. I'll get you out. I have new rod holders now to! I want you to guide me in Elk River/Otsego if I spelled that right.

BigMike,

Are you heading out on the Miss at all before this weekend? I know you fishing in the smallie contest, but I don't think I can make it. I want to head out today or tomorrow, but I can't find anyone to go with.

My buddies are a bit leary of wading up the Mississipi. One guy is convinced a muskie will attack him. He was crappie fishing on Calhoun twice last year and hooked a muskie both times while pulling in a crappie. He was in a canoe and had an ultra-lite rod and line. He admitted that he was so scared he cut his own line.

Let me know if you're going out.

Juan, I'll have to check tonight about possibly going tomorrow, but it will probably only be a small chance that I can get out tomorrow night with this weekend coming up. Maybe sometime next week we can hit it after I get off work if I can't make it happen for tomorrow. If I can make it happen, I'll post asap.

Ebass you rock! We'll work out a time to get out on those sections before too much longer. Fall smallies are the best!

I might wanna come.... unless I'm not invited...... your gonna change mem cards and start taking pics now huh...... or wait you've been doin that all summer havent you lol j/k (was my plan till I dropped it in the water)

Sorry guys, I can't make it out tonight! I've got a handful of honey-dos to wrap up before Saturday. I wish I could get out, it's been almost 2 weeks and it's KILLING ME! Saturday's gathering is just the kind of day I'm going to need to cure this dry spell. Maybe sometime in the next couple of weeks after work. Usually earlier in the week works best.

RiverRat - you're always welcome to join (as is any FM'er) - fishing from shore/wading is always best in larger groups because you can cover more water and find the patterns faster.

We may even be able to do another outing in Elk River in a couple weeks - just like a couple weeks ago.

BM, 2 weeks?? Man I think I would go insaner if I couldn't get out for 2 weeks! My son is joining me tonight and I have 2 new colors to play with. Oh Boy!!

Eye - You're telling me!!! I'm already going insane! But with working 45-50hrs a week and being a part-time youth pastor, I only get a few evenings and Saturdays to get out and of course my wife gets a little jealous of fishing - besides I want to spend quality time with her too smile.gif. So with all of that said, I haven't been out in 2 weeks! So come Saturday, watch out shocked.gif! I'm going to be a smallie madman! I'm already lining up my rods and checking'em twice!

About Saturday, I'm going to pick up 5-6 yardsticks from Home Depot - $.99. Not too bad and I can spare a couple bucks. For those wading, you can get a 5 foot fabric/sowing measuring tape for $1.50-2.50 at any fabric store (I called one, joann's). They work great for wading because they are easy to handle and very compact. Pick one up if you want, or have to carry the yardstick.

Talk to you guys later.

slower action for us tonight. only released 12 and had a few tug at the plastics. still fun though! the river crept back up about 3 inches from yesturday.

[This message has been edited by eyeguy54 (edited 08-26-2004).]

I'm thankful for the rain - maybe I won't have to get out and push Hawgtide's boat off the rocks in Monti wink.gif. But higher water, even a few inches always seems to throw a small kink in the fishing. That is why I'm glad it rained yesterday and not today (sorry that is was slow for you eyeguy, but you've been out 5 to my none in the last couple weeks - and at least you caught some fish). Hopefully the fish will turn on for us tomorrow.

I too got out last night. Kind of a good news, bad news thing. The good news was I got out fishing while my son was at football practice. Caught and released 4 and had another three on. The bad news is that I stepped into something while wading and sustained a rather painful (and bloody) puncture wound. Now my wife knows that I was fishing and not holding a tackling dummy. frown.gif However, short of calling me a doof, she got over it pretty quickly.

Hopefully, I'll see most of you on Saturday.

Sak - that is rough! Sorry to hear about the puncture wound - maybe even more sorry that your secret is out. But at least the lady was understanding.

I'm chomping at the bit to get back to Elk River and Otsego areas. I hope maybe one evening next week to get out and after labor day weekend (going to springfield, MO - Bass pro shop here I come smile.gif) I am planning on get out as many times as possible. Once September rolls around, the smallies turn on the feed bag, but you have to be hitting pretty regularly to really get in on the good action! Some days will be off the charts, some will be duds. With the water low, the fish are going to really stack up in certain areas.

I should be available from 6-8 Mon-Thurs of next week. If you want a partner, I'm your guy. Now that the cat is out of the bag with the wife, I can fish guilt free while the little guy is at practice. After Labor Day, I will be available to fish on Mondays & Wednesdays since football games are on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

How's about dragging me along sometime? Anybody? I can sometimes get out in the evenings during the week. I get off work at 6pm in Fridley. Friday's I'm usually available most of the day. And Sunday's are mostly free for me as well.

I'd love to get into some nice smallies.

Grebe you may be right - I think that everyone that has been on the river may already be FM'ers and now we're all posting about the sections we love. I could have run by several FM'ers and never known it.

Sak, Grebe, Lost, and all other wading FM'ers. I'll post this weekend or next week if I can get out after work. I get off at 4pm and could probably be up there in Elk River by 5-5:30ish and fish until dark (which is only until about 8:20 these days).

We may try to get another Saturday informal gathering in Elk River sometime after labor day.

The Grebe that was the first nuclear power plant in the U.S for sure but im also thinkin it was first in the world

First nuke plant in the world??
No way! (I have no proof, I am just shocked)

PS - The current nuke plant is south of the river. The one off hwy 10 in Becker is a coal burning plant.

I know it was the first nuc plant in north americe but I'm thinkin Russia beat us byt a couple of months though for the first in world I'll have to check

From all the press this section has been getting, I don't think anyone will be at a loss for fishing partners along that stretch of the river!

Probably all will be FM people to, so you'll already be indirectly acquainted.

Here is a little pearl I think is interesting....the power plant on #10, back in the day, I think it used to be a Nucular power plant, the first, or one of the first in Minnesota. Anybody have any info on this?

Lost,

I am planning on being out on the river tonight. I should get there around 6:10-ish. I will have to leave at 7:45. If you want to join me, you are welcome (as is anyone else). I will park where the power plant discharge is; I drive a Saturn. I will, in all likelihood, be the only body on the river but I will be wearing a pair of brown neoprene waders. I will be about 400 yards upstream of the discharge.

Maybe I'll see you there?