Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marblei

SURPRISE

5 posts in this topic

Surprised myself, or I should say the 'little jaws' surprised me! I was out on the water at 5p.m., (Just cause I aint been for a week!), and thought even though it is cloudy and cool, it was better than watching tv.....I REALLY didn't expect to catch anything due to the MAJOR cold front.....In an hours time, I had six bass, three of which were >17" and < 20". Also had a decent size Northern. Not only did the 'bite' surprise me, but the bigger fish came out of VERY skinny water...They must have been laying on thier side! Just thought I'd post this because I thought it was amazing. Guess it has been cold long enough, the fish must view it as stable weather....OR....they just plain tired of waiting and decided to eat.(You can prob. guess my presentation, fishing in VERY shallow water that had quite abit of current).......

Marblei,

I had the exact same experience yesterday. I took a friend fishing who had never fished the river. I was a little apprehensive about whether or not the fish would cooperate. But we had planned this trip for a couple weeks and it couldn't be rescheduled for a "better" day. So off we went, and did the fish ever cooperate.

And as you stated the best fishing was in the shallow, moving water. It was a lot of fun seeing the wake of the fish in the water before they blew up on the lure.

My friend must have thanked me 6 or more times for all the fun we had. And this is a guy who does a lot of fishing, just not the river.

------------------
Keith_MN

I plan to live forever......so far so good!

Marblei,

I had the exact same experience yesterday. I took a friend fishing who had never fished the river. I was a little apprehensive about whether or not the fish would cooperate. But we had planned this trip for a couple weeks and it couldn't be rescheduled for a "better" day. So off we went, and did the fish ever cooperate.

And as you stated the best fishing was in the shallow, moving water. It was a lot of fun seeing the wake of the fish in the water before they blew up on the lure.

My friend must have thanked me 6 or more times for all the fun we had. And this is a guy who does a lot of fishing, just not the river.

I can't wait for the weekend to get out again!

------------------
Keith_MN

I plan to live forever......so far so good!

Rivers don't seem to be as suseptible to cold fronts as lakes. The ever changing flow usually keeps them on their toes at all times. Just my observation any how.

Cool to hear about the pike caught in such shallow water!

See guys, this is what we have to look forward to on Saturday if forecasts stay the same. If it's going to be cold - the river is where it's at!

Come join other FM'ers at Ellison Park in Monti on Saturday. Meeting at 7am, fishing until 2:30 and meet back at Ellison to see how everyone did - biggest/longest fish takes home the bragging rights! See the Monti Gathering thread for more details.