Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iron Cowboy

River Boat Info.

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I live on the Miss. between Becker and Clearwater and I need a river boat to get to those really good spots. With my family I would like something with the capacity for 5 adults. I like the river pro but if I spend that much I would have to sell my lake boat. I know they are made for the river and dont handle waves well but the high pro looks deep enough that it could handle the small lakes in the annandale area I usually go to, is this the case? How about a larger john with an outboard jet? I've heard that the johns look stable but without somewhat of a vee in front they arent and I do know of a few guys who have sank them duck hunting taking water in over the side. I know Navigator and a few others fish this stretch of the river, what kind of a set up do you run and how's it work for you as far as capacity, shallow running, etc. Any info. is appreciated. If you would rather e-mail me you can at peteandmailei@frontiernet.net Thanks, Pete

[This message has been edited by Iron Cowboy (edited 07-28-2004).]

I purchased a hi-pro from kevin this spring and have nothing but great things to say about it. I have fished with 3 adults and a 12 yr old out of it, all adults were 225lbs or better and lots of gear in the boat and no trouble. I have fished the elk river area and montisippi area a couple times and have run some really shallow water, again no problems, slid over a gravle bar(shut it off when i did this) and lots of different conditions. The only time I have had a slight problem is when i got a stick stuck in the impeller, couldnt get up on plane but was able to still move about and fished the rest of the day, got home and took off the grate on the water intake, saw the stick wedged in there and removed it and back in business. simply put, great boat....and no i dont work for kevin, just really impressed with the boat he makes.

Cattin_Addict

I've been in Mr. Steele's River Pro (High Pro) and that thing rocked! We had three of us in there and room for more. It's a real sweet rig and no prop to knock off and it will get you into places that my jon boat can't go, and better yet it will get you back. Get a hold of Kevin and see what he can do.

Hi guys...right now I'm running a 2004 Alumacraft waterfowler 15 with a 6" jack plate and a 25hp. I think the boat does a little over 30mph with just me in it. The reason I say "I think" is the boat hops like a spotted a$$ ape when I crack the throttle wide open so it's tough to get an accurate GPS reading...?? It goes through shallow enough water for me and I didn't break the bank buying it.

Anyway, I run that boat in the Clearwater to St. Cloud area and I run a deep-v boat (soon to be an Alumacraft Magnum) in the Sartell/Little falls area.

So, if your out fishing and see a john skipping like a rock...that's me!! wink.gif Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

[This message has been edited by Navigator (edited 07-28-2004).]

Hey guys, Thanks for the reply's. yea those river pro's really look sweet. price is a factor though so I have to consider all options. If price wasnt an issue I'd definetly go with the high pro. Navigator, I looked at alumacrafts website and the watrefowler looks pretty cool.What's a jack plate? How stable is the boat? Does it have a slight vee in the front to help with stability? Interesting that you have a prop motor in the part of river your running. How is it this time of the year with the river so low? still able to get up and down as far as you want? Would a guy that doesnt know the river as well have a chance keeping that lower unit in one piece? If you can get by with a prop whats the great advantage to a jet outboard? I've heard of a small cage called a rock guard you can put on a lower unit, anyone else ever hear of one, or better yet have one?

[This message has been edited by Iron Cowboy (edited 07-28-2004).]

The river pro is the way to go... I don't own one my self...yet. I run a 16 ft wachita jon with a modified transom and a 50/35 OB jet. It only does 26 mph when things are perfect. I just got back from running it on big lakes up in Canada. The myth that jets can't handle the big water is a Joke!! Basically it comes down to driving ability, period. The only drawback you encounter with a jet...if at all, is in thick vegetation, or large waves. The pump sucks water and anything else with it in... so that clogs the pump. This has an easy fix and from my experience and is neglegible. On the waves...if they are big enough to cause the motor to cavitate, you probably won't feel comfortable riding anyway, just slow down and take them at a 45° Angle. No biggie.

I know when I save enough I will have a lo-pro, but for now I have the ugliest camo jon on the stretch around St. Cloud with stick steering.

The jack plate bolts on the transom and the motor in turn goes on the it. It allowed me to run the motor 2.5" higher than clamping it on the transom. Basically I can run full out in about 18" of water (give or take a few) and most of the areas I fish are at least that deep. As good as a jet...no way! Not even close, but I feel it does the job. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com

IC, I'll be in Monti this weekend. I would be happy to hook up with you for a demo ride. Kevin....Cell 314-378-2685.

BTW, Thx for the good RiverPro reviews!!!!

Hey Nav

Where do you get a jack plate from? Is it the same thing as mounting a kicker on a transom?

Nope, it's a different animal. I made it at my father in-laws machine shop...tools are goood.

Okay here's a pic of it.

Jack_Plate.jpg

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com

[This message has been edited by Navigator (edited 07-29-2004).]

After today's trip north of Sartell, I wish it was 5" higher!! One ding in the prop....from not paying attention. Yep, that stuff occasionaly happens to me too. grin.gif

This is what we ran into today! about 2 dozen more were boated, along with 3 follows from muskies! Fun day. smile.gif

Philips_bass.jpg

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com

You want to carry 4 or 5 people and gear and run the upper Missy...the best tool for the job is a River Pro.
I have run OB jets and had to mess around with moving stuff around like people,gear,gas and batteries to get any performance out of them.Even then I had trouble with more than two in the boat.The problem is you need a lot more horse power because the OB jet wastes a third of it.That is not the case with a RP.The hull for one thing is designed to lift the boat out of the water and the Merc Sport jet is more efficient that an out board.The water flows through the pump rather than having to change directions in an out board jet.

You could go with a large jon/jet rig to carry 4 or 5 adults like a 20 footer but then your only a few hundred from the price of the RP.
I have used my RP on lakes and fished the Metro LETS last year out of it and didn't have any problems.That being said I would take a deep vee if I were fishing Mille Lacs,Leech,Winnie or other large lakes.Most of the Metro area lakes would be no problem.