Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Deputy Grizz

how to fish the "mighty miss?"

Deputy Grizz

What's the best way to fish the river? I tried a couple hours friday night from my boat, but just snagged and lost 3 jigheads onto rocks or logs. Looks like very productive water-I just need a technique!
Thanks for any help.
(First time river fishing!)

The Grebe

I've done a little river fishing...I'll throw some info your way tommarrow evening, after work.

fonz58

Leave your jigs in the tackle box. The smallies will snap at the following (and you'll avoid many snags)
Mepps #3 (any) I like the firetiger
Mepps #3 or 4 Comet
Buzz Baits
Heddon Tiny Torpedo
Beetle Spins

Look for slow water adjacent to fast current. Fish these pools, or pools behind big rocks, or adjacent to submerged boulders.

EBass

AH, did you just say leave the jigs at home? Jigs were the ticket in the 694 stretch. Just go as light as possible like 1/16 and 1/8 up to 1/4 and they must be snagless. Well not a must but it helps. I'm sure those other lures work to, but my confidence in jigs soared this year.

When we tried for cats(anchored and using shrimp) we only caught small ones then we toss out the jig n grubs and caught bass, bigger cats, and even a walter. Sometimes just dragging it in the main channel while talking on the cell was the trick - LOL.

Navigator

Don't forget to use crankbaits too...year round! If you want to minimize snagging, anchor slightly up-stream from the tail out section of a pool where the water starts to get ripples and fast. Also try this with mid-stream boulders and even eddies. Fancast these areas with jigs, cranks, topwaters, spinners ect. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

[This message has been edited by Navigator (edited 07-26-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Navigator (edited 07-26-2004).]

Royce Aardahl

All of the above. And when all else fails a brown hook with a split shot and a fathead. Man it's hard to beat a Mepps though.
P.S. If trouble snagging tie the hook up about a foot and put your split shot at the end of the line. Don't have to retie so many hooks that way.

[This message has been edited by eyeguy54 (edited 07-26-2004).]

The Grebe

All of the above, of course and don't forget the down stream side of bridge enbutments, the water swirls around and forms a condition the fish like to hold in.
It's also easier to anchor if that is what you want to do. You can fish the up side also, but I'm partial to fishing down stream.

If the smallies are tough, find a rocky stretch of moderately deep water, say 3 to 6 feet, (you can tell it's rocky by the way the current swirls) and use a single hook and a split shot...just enough to get a nightcrawler with a shot of air in him, down to the fish. Hook it once about half way between nose and collar. It works pretty good. Don't have a blower? A regular crawler works just as good, it just hangs up more..

Just let the current take it to any waiting customer, but don't be discouraged if that customer is a snag, it comes with the territory, fishing the river can be challenging!

Rapalas in the gold color, about 4 inches long, casting along the shore, up and down stream...even the cats seem to like em? Don't hesitate to use them in the surface lure mode...smallies will really blast them, so will the pike.

A bobber and a minnow, hooked through the lips, floated down stream with the current, so it is just off the bottom, (You'll know!).

Bottom fishing the current, up stream to down stream, as in line as you can get, so the current does'nt bow your line, with a drop sinker set up, a spinner and a minnie hooked through the lips.

If you can find a calm spot, or a spot where the current eddies and comes back into a pool, you can bobber fish it and the current will take your bobber out and then back around, with a few adjustments, minnows through the lips again.

Hope this gives you a little insight, river fishing is fun, you are never sure what it is you are going to catch.

Royce Aardahl

we got 34 on mepps this evening. yowzer that was fun!!

Mark Christianson

Holy cats.
We got around 15. Nothing big.

What kinda Mepps?
We used spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and some shallow cranks.

Royce Aardahl

#3 and #4 aglias. you'll need to expieriment to see which color combo works best for you. the 3# deep runner has been doing a good job also.

Deputy Grizz

Thanks a lot, guys. It gives me a good base line to start from!
LOTS of good ideas!
Grizz