• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The "Up River" Bite

Spent two afternoons recently on the stretch between Crosby and Brainerd with increasingly positive results. Water's been slowly dropping and the smalljaws have begun to go on surface baits. Though most of our fish fell for 3/8oz inline spinners (Egger's "Big Bows" and Terminator Titaniums remain my favorites), surface plugs like Skitter Pops or Tiny Torpedoes clearly produced our biggest bass-- 17 to 20-inchers.

Also, in maybe a half hour each evening spent cranking the rocky heads of deep pools, we caught close to ten walleyes. I'm sure a little more time on these spots would've yielded even more fish. Great river plugs continue to be the Shad Rap RS's and now, the Glass Shad Raps. Wonderful rock walkers that get bit a lot.

Don't usually see too many people on this stretch. Do any of you guys out there frequent the river above Brainerd? It's a good run. smile.gif

-a friend,
Cory Schmidt

Cory, I used to fish that stretch quite often (10yrs ago). I do miss it. Catch some for me!! ....Kevin

Cory...was that your article in the latest in-fish? If so, nice... smile.gif Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

Hi Nav,

Thanks smile.gif. Yes, the piece was long overdue, as, at least I thought, Bill Binkelman's never really gotten the credit he deserved. Really, he's the man behind a lot of Al and Ron Lindner's innovations, though he would've brushed such talk aside. Lots of good stories there, I tell ya. Hopefully someday we'll get to see a few of 'em in print.

-a friend,
Cory

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 07-26-2004).]

Cory,
Have you trolled spoonplugs on that stretch of the river? Man, they work great down in my area and the lips are more durable than plastic crankbaits. I can get those bugg'rs ripping along at 6 to 7 mph up-stream and they remain true and on course...tick the bottom and hang on. Especially in the tailout areas of deeper pools. wink.gif Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com

Jon-

Nope, never tried trolling a Spoonplug in the river. Good idea, though. Six to 7-mph, seriously? Wow, that's cookin'. smile.gif

We do quite a bit of upstream trolling, but mostly with Shad Rap RSs, Fat Raps and the like. Great method at times. Might have to dig out a few old Spoonplugs.

Out last night, and for the second time in a particular spot, saw the biggest smallmouth of my life. Same pool, same bank, again, chasing a smaller fish I'd hooked. This beast might have weighed-- well, I really hesitate to say it out loud wink.gif.

-a friend,
Cory

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 07-27-2004).]

Big smallies, eh Cory? Hmmm...looks like I need to make a trip up there. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com

ok now what is a spoon plug. maybe we should try fishing on the miss trade trips. i'd take somebody on the sauk rapids sartell stretch for a trip up north or something. getting close to bow season but it would be fun to try another spot and technique.

Cory, Thumbs up on the In-Fish article...Kevin

The Mississippi is a great fishery. There is ample supply of bait for the fish to eat and yet there is some great fishing as well. I have fished this off and on for several years. A good friend who knows that stretch practically like the back of his hand taught me a thing or two about it. I primarily fish the stretch from French Rapids up to Ironton area. It is great fun. I heard a rumor one time that I believe is probably true, the next state record small mouth will come from this stretch of the river. Personally I enjoy the Crappie bite on that stretch. They are what make the trip for me. The other peice that is so enjoyable is the sheer beauty and the wildlife on that stretch.

Keep on Smiling.

Peace

Skipper

Skipper,
Seen a few smalljaws that might've pushed that mark during past seasons, although average size is generally smaller-- about 12 to 15-inches-- than the lower stretches.

Kevin,
Appreciate the thumbs up. One day soon here, I want to do a catfish piece with Dennis, maybe highlight a certain boat wink.gif, etc. Got a number of assignments for the 2005 Cat Guide, so I'm always open to fresh ideas. Take 'er easy. smile.gif

-a friend,
Cory

I grew up fishing, hunting, riceing and completely in awe at the beauty of this stretch of the river. Fishing Bronzebacks in the late fall when the leaves have turned color is breathtaking to say the least. I myself have an emotional connection to this part of the river that will always be with me. It is where my father first took me fishing, hunting, and riceing. It is also where his father did the same....

WOW!! It's great to see a forum were people actually share info!! not hoard it like scrooge. Six of us fished the stretch from monti to elk river during the week and nobody caught less than a dozen smallies, in addition i had so many long line releases i lost count. we also managed to keep a few eating sized cats for dinner the next night. this was only my second foray onto the mighty miss and I'm hooked. for the record orange colored/crayfish patterned cranks were our ticket along with a plain jig with a yellow power grub. thanks again for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

Early Sept. I'll be hitting the area around Crow Wing River between LF & Brainerd...any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Rob