Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CALVINIST

Is this the right link for the Missisippi river by brooklyn ctr?

8 posts in this topic

Is it? I want to do some fishing in that area.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

I do believe this is the one.
The Metro Area Lakes and Rivers may be helpful, but I think this one would be more specific to that area.

Calvinist....I live about an arrow shot from the Mississippi where you are talking about. If you have some specific questions, maybe I can help?

I fish this section a bit to. What's ^?

I want an alternative to lake fishing that is fairly close to where I live; looking specifically for walleyes, but also smallies, and good-sized panfish. Keep in mind I am pretty much a rookie when it comes to river fishing. On August 9th I will be launching in Elk River and floating down in my 16' boat for smallie action and whatever else that is biting. I realize I have to really watch it so I don't hit bottom with the boat. Grebe and Ebass, if you have any suggestions, but don't want to "advertise", please contact me at

lemurpeloo@comcast.net

Thanks,

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 07-21-2004).]

If you are drifting down from Elk River, I assume you are having another vehicle at the Dayton Landing or were you planning to return to Elk River? The reason I ask is that there are two really shallow riffle areas between Elk River and Dayton. Once you get below them, I don't think you can drive an outboard over them. (I couldn't last year)You could perhaps get out in the water and pull your boat back up stream.

BTW, those two riffle areas are really good Smallie spots. Just anchor down and fish 'em good.

Calvinist...if you are new to river fishing, you might want to reconsider a long float trip, your first time out on a new stretch of river! Maybe a trip up stream aways and a float back to get an idea on how to read the water, and a feel for the current, etc.

We used to trap quite a stretch of the river by canoe and a small 10 foot Jon Boat, we had a lot of experience on the river and even at that, we would rub once in awhile! That current is really deceptive...if you hurt your lower unit, or something happens to the motor your gonna have an adventure, no doubt!

The one just up stream from the Dayton landing was at 2 and 3 ft at the end of May when the river was a quite higher than it is now. If you do hit that stretch, once you hit, wading with the boat or just beaching it and fishing would be an option, but an iffy one!