Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigMike

Ole' Miss. this weekend

18 posts in this topic

Calling all smallie magnets... is anyone else heading out on the 'sippi this Saturday? I am dropping my lady off at the airport Saturday morning around 7:30 and I'm packing the gear and heading up the northern stretches of the 'sippi (elk river, otsego, monti, st. cloud) and I'm wondering if anyone else is heading out or if you have any new reports to help steer me in the right direction. How is the water level?

BigMike, I have a family reunion this weekend so I won't be out there. I wish I could fish that area, because it should be real good. The river is nice and low, so you should be able to find some good spots.

I went through Elk River/Otsego yesterday and it looked like there's some good bank fishing there, too.

Let us know how you do.

I will definitely report back... when don't I smile.gif. I am just hoping my wading boots arrive! The boots I wanted were on back order for the last 2 months because i have size 14 feet, but I just got word that they should be here any day. (Fingers crossed) If not, I've been using an old pair of tennis shoes that work alright, but when you start talking about the rocky/boulder sections, it gets a little scary walking around without felt soled boots. But if the water levels are down it should be a little easier to wade.

The weather is holding steady (knock on wood) for the next 4 days and should be great fishing on the river! Smallies, here I come!

have fun BigMike....I plan on getting on some smallies this weekend too..maybe tomorrow sometime. Good luck.

S.A.

Big Mike, are you using a boat or waders? The water seems to be down some in the Monticello area but not below the average. Last year I drifted from Montisippi park to Ellison park and rarely did I see 5 feet of water. The deepest I saw was in front of the trailer park (about 12 feet). Another thing was it seemed really fast. I know there are some good spots up past Becker too. Get back to me and maybe I can help.

Corey

Big Mike I just got in form the river ten minutes ago fised the island area a little bit by the downtown area of elk river water level was up about 1 to 2 feet from last weekend, current seemed slower than it was early in the week lots of action in the shallows(1to 3 feet) 5 smallies in 2 hours and one big pike (drop me a line of you wanna wade this area this weekend I will probly be out there but its my wifes birthday so who knows

Big Mike I just got in form the river ten minutes ago fised the island area a little bit by the downtown area of elk river water level was up about 1 to 2 feet from last weekend, current seemed slower than it was early in the week lots of action in the shallows(1to 3 feet) 5 smallies in 2 hours and one big pike (drop me a line of you wanna wade this area this weekend I will probly be out there but its my wifes birthday so who knows

Just out on the Ole Miss last night. Hit the stretch between Sauk Rapids, and the Sartell Dam.

Water is up 1.5-2 ft from just a week ago.

I casted the shorline for smallies, and between my partner and I we fished from 6-8:30 and picked up 7 smallies, 3 northerns. Had at least 4 more spit the hook. I would describe the action as a little slower than the last time I was out. I usually pick up at least 1 northern, but they seemed a bit more aggressive than usual. Didn't get a single fish up by the dam! very unusual. I think the change in depth and hot day had something to do with the change in action.

If you don't have a jet boat and go in this area be very careful if you head north from the S.R. access. With the water up, you can make it-just be sure you've got some shear pins. Mike

Thanks guys for the responses... I'm definitely going to be wading (although my boots haven't come in yet- see above post. I'm hoping they come today, or I'm stuck with my waders & tennis shoes frown.gif).

Corey, I've waded the montisippi park a little (from the launch to the plant) and I have fished that section with Hawgtide in his sweet jet boat as far down as the trailer park and creek inlet. I'm trying to remember how far down it is, I was hoping to wade down that direction this weekend (trailer park).

River Rat, I've wanted to get out, wade & learn the Elk River section too and would be interested in hooking up tomorrow. What time are you looking to get out (if you can with the birthday)? Depending on when you are available, I may try to fish one section (Monti) in the morning (8:30 'til about 1ish) and then hop in the car and fish Elk River in the mid-afternoon into late evening. Another FM'er "LOST" might be available to hook up in the afternoon (from about 1pm on) too. Let me know what you are thinking.

Corey & River Rat, drop me an email: Michael_Cross@countrywide.com. I'll be on email all day and I'll check it tonight & tomorrow morning.

I got out this last Saturday all day on the 'sippi between monti & otsego. I hooked up with a guy from FM (Tinman) up in the monti stretch and waded downriver from the Ellison Park access. We did alright, but the action was pretty slow. I caught a northern, channel cat and two small smallies. Tinman was fly fishing and had a little better success with the smallies. All pretty small but he did have a nice fish on for about 2 minutes until it threw the hook. We think it might have been a walleye because a smallie would have jumped and a northern would have bit it off. Who knows now.

After the morning with Tinman, I took a break for lunch and then headed down to the Otsego area and found a great spot with some great looking water. Unfortunately it didn't produce bigger fish for me, but I did get a lot of smaller smallies and one nice 4.5lb northern. I wish I would have ended up hiking right to where I had stopped for the day, I found some great pools, eddies and boulder fields that need further probing. So even though I didn't nail any big smallies, I found some spots to keep in mind when I head out again.

BigMike, glad to see you did well on your day on the river. I haven't been out there in a long time. Need to get back out there.

Hey big Mike
Sorry I couldnt get out last saturday wife had me running to stillwater for her birthday just sat at the Freight house drinking and looking at the river trying not to cry.... lol

I went out on sunday though and caught a lot of little smallies then on the walkaway cast as i was gonna leave got a 18 inch football size smallie was real fun on a light rod with 4 pound test where abouts were those boulder fields and eddies you were talking bout? I would love to try em out glad to see noones reporting a killer bite I was starting to wonder if I'd lost my touch. lol post next time your hitting this area we'll meet up and share notes

The RiverWader and I went out yesterday evening in the sauna like conditions. We caught around 18-20 smallies on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. His first fish(and the largest) of the day was a 19" 3lb'er. We were mostly in the Becker area. The last hour of the day was awesome using buzzbaits.

If I had a day to go, I would definitely get out today before that cool front moves through! The action is bound to be hot. I know that the river isn't effected by the weather as much, but a 10 degree drop is big difference when we've had upper 80's and 90's for 5+ days.

Hawgtide, congrats on a pretty decent outing. Buzzbaits are awesome on the river, but I haven't had a good bite going on them just yet. Only slimers seem to want to hit them!

River Rat, a 18'' is a real nice smallie any day, any time...last cast or not. Now the question is, after you caught that smallie did you stick around a bit longer smile.gif I'd be happy to get out sometime in the next few weeks to show you that rapids area (after I move this next week)... It's awesome, I wish I had more time to pick it apart. But at least now I know it's there. I drove by the elk river section and it looks pretty awesome, but where do you park and fish from around there? I was going to try but I didn't know where to even start (plus it was getting pretty dark by the time I drove by there).

I got my wading boots finally on Monday. They are SWEET!!! I can't wait to hit the river with them!

hawgtide was right the fishing was a blast during the last hour, but the bugs started hitting just as hard as the fish.

Big Mike I only live about a 1/2 block off the river right buy those townhomes down there. and yes I did stay alot longer right until I couldnt see the other side of shore but had no further luck just drop a post next time your ready to go out I'll be ready (wifes gone first week of aug for famiuly reunion I'll be out every night)

My 14 year old son and I took a canoe trip from St. Cloud to Clearwater this morning. Caught 13 smallies, all about 2 lbs. Lost Big Mo after a couple short runs. Best action was off Rapala's and Ugly Bugs tipped w/ crawlers. Wish I'd brought top waters. Seen lots of fish surfacing.

When you gonna organize this Bass-Magnet get-together?