Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
river rat316

Mississippi ( Near Elk River)

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys I am New to fm and was wondering if anyone had any tips for the island area around elk river below the downtown area I am confined to that are with no boat (but im not afraid to get wet) I havent had much luck with the smallies this year and was looking for tips ( what tackle, bait depths exc.)

Welcome to FM,
As for tips on that area, it's been a while since I'd fish those parts. But from the Park, upstream all the way to the cement thingy with the metal railings. I used to wade about hip deep, casting inline spinners, curl tails grubs,a snapshot rig with live bait and shallow running cranks. Look to cast at holes, current changes and boils. We used to do pretty good upstream of that area along the riprap shoreline too. But that area isn't the best for wading. I caught my personal best 4-12oz smallie, wading and casting back to shore inless then a 1'of water behind a small bolder. Oh try to get a hold of Aquaman01, that's his stompin grounds.

Good luck hope this helps

From the 101 bridge, all the way up to and below the town of Elk River, is hot for smallies, it's all catch and release for the smallies and there are some hogs!

My friend and I got 3 of them one day that went over 19 1/2 inches, fishing from shore, along with a lot of smaller ones and a couple of waldos. You will also get a decent pike once in awhile. Fall seems to be the better time for numbers of biggies, but I have gotten good fish year round.

We fish Rapalas, Mr. Twisters, and jig and minnow, along with plain minnow and bobber,
drifting along with the current.

The current is really fast and bottom fishing produces alot of hang ups.

The East side of the river, you can fish just about anywhere you want, the West side is limited to up and down a short ways from the 101 bridge and then up and down a ways from the bridge from Ostego to Elk River.