• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River by Elk River

erikwells

I haven't been out yet but I think I will give this stretch of river a run next Wednesday. I am obligated being my boss from Colorado wants to do a little fishing. Anyone been on this stretch yet? How will I do with my 14 ft boat with my 9.9 if I want to get to the area where the Elk River dumps into the Missy? Any info is appreciated being my job may depend on it J/K.

The water is really low for this time of the year, lot of rocks exposed.

Your boat should be fine though.

[This message has been edited by Al_B (edited 05-19-2004).]

Hey, man!
When the water is low, the trouble spot starts right about where the concrete outflow platform is, and runs up for about 150 yards. Best bet is to try to stay as close to the east side of the bend as you can. If it gets too shallow and you start hitting rock - drift over to the west shore at the tail-out of the first island. The back channel is deep enough to draft a boat, but shallow enough to wade with a portage harness. The going is clear after the 1st island. I've never been up past the big island, so I don't know about after there.

You could always try the Dayton launch and fish the confluence area from the Crow.

Best of luck, and I hope you get him on fish!!

Peace,
Rob

All this rain forcasted for the next few days should help raise the level a little bit. It's still very shallow and rocky along this stretch.

I hope your Boss wasn't planning to catch Bass. wink.gif

I have no species trageted specifically. My favorite is walley however I do not discriminate. My boss will be happy to catch whatever bites bass, walleye,catfish whatever. I think I will set us up with some cranks starting out and later anchor us up with some jigs and fatheads. Lookin forward to getting on the river. Thanks all. Aquaman hows your wife feeling? Good luck and I hope all goes well.

They've closed off the Coon Rapids Dam so boats can launch at that location. This might help raise the level some up there????

Thanks for all of the responses. Wednesday by 4:00 I will be on the river. With the rainI think we will put some bright twister tails on with a fat head and fish areas where there is some water running in from our needed and recent rains. Thanks all I will let you know how we did Wednseday.

Went out on the miss from elk river at about 4:00 yesterday. We were able to go up to where the Elk River runs into the Miss. We had a hard time finding fish. Fish were really scattered or shallow. Either way cranks, jigs and bottom bouncer with crawlers wouldn't get them to bite. Fished 2 feet to 20 feet of water, trolled, anchored and casted and managed 1 smallie and one huge yellow bullhead. Took my boss out and we still had a good time trying. Only hit 1 rock.

I've heard that high water makes 'em go shallow. Glad you got out, though. How's that boy of yours? Almost ready for a Snoopy pole?

My wife is doing GREAT! No complications and aggresively tendng to her La Leche League duties. She decided to birth at HCMC 'cause too much bad news from the clinics and wards here in Wright Co.

Oh yeah - fishing....
I tried a little shore action Monday during high water and got zip. It's been a weird spring.

Peace, man.
Rob