Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keith_MN

Boat Access Locations

9 posts in this topic

Where would one go to get a fairly complete list of boat access points to the Mississippi from Monticello up to Brainerd?

I do a lot of fishing up river from Clearwater, but would like to try some new sections of the river this summer.

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Keith_MN

I plan to live forever......so far so good!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Now I just have to make the time to try out a few new locations.

Thanks again.

i have a book called "brainerd mille lacs area fishing guide" the author is sybil smith it gives information on landings and fishing info. from little falls to state highway 6 just north of crosby. it also hits on the smaller rivers in the area like the pine,gull,and the crow wing.i live in riverton and fish the river from now till ice-up ,if you need any info. on this section of river let me know and i will try to help

Big Trav,
Thanks for the offer, but as pointed out in an earlier reply the DNR website shows a number of boat accesses, which should give me plenty to choose from.
I may still pick up the book you referred to if I come accross it sometime, as I do a considerable amount of fishing on the Mississippi. There's just something about throwing a nightcrawler on a lindy rig into the water and not knowing what's going to grab it until you reel it in that I find very appealing. It's not uncommon to fish the river and catch a half dozen or more species of fish in one afternoon.

Thanks again,

Keith_MN

Welcome! Glad to have you with us!

Umm, I don't know many, but here goes...

Monticello has two - Ellison Park & Montissippi park.

Becker has Snuffy's landing (dicey - push pole if you don't have a jet)

Clear lake has the big bridge (whatever road that is)

I dunno Royalton or St.Cloud launches, but Little Falls has the Pike Creek access.

Thankfully, most atlases and maps ignore The River. Best to just drive it with a good road atlas and scope out possible sites.

Good Luck and Good Fishing,
Rob

[This message has been edited by Aquaman01 (edited 05-27-2004).]

AquaMan01,

My river boat doesn't qualify on either account. It's not 'heavy', and it's definitely not 'pretty'. It's a older 12' Lund with a 9.9 Merc raised up on a 2x6, so I can get thru about 9 inches of water (or less) without to much trouble. It does me just fine on the river.

Thanks again for the info!

Keith_MN

AquaMan01,

I know where the Montissippi park is but have never driven into it. I assume that it is run by the city. Is there an access/park fee to land a boat?

I am not familiar with Ellison. Which side of the river is it on - the freeway or hwy 10?

I also know where the road into Snuffy's Landing is, but I always assumed it was just the name of the housing development. In fact I think I may have driven down the road once looking for an access to the river and didn't find anything. Is the access well marked (ie easy to find)?

I live a stones throw away from the Clearwater/Hwy 24 landing. The river upriver from Clearwater has kept me entertained for several years, but I've decided its time to check out some new sections of the water.

Thanks for the info!

------------------
Keith_MN

I plan to live forever......so far so good!

The road to Montissippi is after the shooting range and before the nuke plant. Ellison is down by the geriatric center on the west side of the road. Neither have launch, admission or parking fees, and Montissippi is a regular stop on the local CO's route, as well as the local LE (so yer vehicle will likely be safe).

The Snuffy's launch is at the end of that road, and on the downriver end of the little park. It's a really rough launch and shallow for a long, long ways. Not for heavy or 'pretty' watercraft.

Good luck breakin' water with the bronzebacks!

Rob