• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Depth/Fish Finders on Jet Boats

HawgTide

Any of you Jet Boat owners use depth/fish finders? I was wondering if you have had problems with them. Mine only works going less than 5mph. Above that it only reads garbage. I assume this has something to do with the transducer location in reference to the Jet. I've tried lowering the transducer, but it hasn't helped yet.

Try to get in touch with Dennis Steele. He has a River Pro and didn't have any issues. He's on the Minnesota River forum mostly.

Hawg, Check out the universal alumaducer by Vexilar. It shoots thru the alum hull. On your ride, it may mount on the hull bottom near the front of the intake housing. If you'd like I'd be happy to step you thru the install. KT

Thanks Kevin! It's at the dealer(warranty) now, so I'm going to see what their answer is. If they don't have a good one, then I'll have to look into that alumaducer. Does that work with Hummingbirds?

My understanding is it's universal, although you need an adapter cable for diff brands. Cost about $130.00 for both. Well worth it if you don't have to replace 'ducer every time you bump something in the river. KT

I haven't had any problems shooting through the hull with my Vex Edge II.I used silicone to mount the ducers instead of epoxy so that it less permanant.Seems to work fine.I still get readings as deep as 80 feet(deepest I have been over in the boat), and it works fine on plane.That is unless I am running aireated water.
I assume that any sonar with a puck style ducer would work to shoot through the hull,or at least a flat bottom ducer.Of course your going to do better with a sonar unit that has more power,and you have to locate the ducer in an area where its flat and there will be no turbulance from strakes,rivets or anything else.
Mounting is easy.place a gob of silicone in the best location.Make sure there is no air in the glob and then place the ducer on it slowly twisting the ducer as you press it down.Put plenty of pressure on it.You want as much silicone to be squeezed out from under the ducer as possible.Then brace it down with something heavy so that it does not rise on you and allow air to get under the puck.Leave it for 24 hours and your good to go.If you find it doeasn't work or you did get some air under the puck its not permanant and you can scrape it off and try it again.

Good info Denny. Although some puck style ducers will shoot thru, most will not. KT

You can also take a small piece of pvc pipe that is bigger than the ducer.Silicone it to the hull and then pour enough water to conver your ducer and drop the ducer in.
Its kind of like putting water on the ice,then shooting through it.Pucks will work better.
Worth a shot to see if the ducer will work a little more permanantly.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer on what they are doing with this issue. I've found out that Hummingbird has a transducer exchange program where you can send in your (new)transducer to exchange for a thru-hull type or a puck type. The dealer is checking into this now.

Thanks again. I'll see you out on the River soon!