• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Are the smallies going?

basmastermatt

Are the smallmouth going any where up this way yet. Where is a great spot to catch them on artificial. I have a 19 ft Ranger bass boat. Don't know if i can use it up that way. (water levels) Also wondering about the Rum. Heard it's good. But I sounds like you need a smaller boat or a jet boat. Any help would be appreciated. I live on lake Waconia, so if anyone is interested in learning waconia in trade for showing me some river tips I would appreciate it.
Thanks Matt

------------------
Fish On!

Matt... I'm chasing you around on the posts LOL. Well for smallies right now, season opener doesn't start up for another 6 weeks or so. Right now the only place you can "target" bass is on Pool 2 or Pool 4 of the 'sippi. But once opener hits, you can bet that I'm going to be wading the shores of the upper 'sippi every free second I get!

When it gets to be that time, pull out the buzzbaits, tubes (t-rigged with 1/32 or 1/16oz pegged cone weight), flukes, 1-5ft running cranks in crawdad colors, & of course senkos smile.gif. No need for a ton of equipment unless you have it. When I go wading, I'll probably bring 1 baitcast & 1 spin rod with one plano storage case and a couple bags of tubes and other misc. plastics & colors. It's pretty predictable (especially on the upper sippi).

Thanks, yeah i suppose it helps if the season were open....lol.......forgot about that small detail....When i think of smallie fishing on the river I think of Pepin. I always fished down by Pepin which of course is open year round.

------------------
Fish On!

Matt, Pepin is really cool. I was down there for the first time last fall with Dan Wood and we had a good day with the smallies down there. I'll be heading back down there with Dan on May 1st.

Your Ranger with a 200 would tear that Pool up! My thoughts with that boat would be something like this, "Hmmm, that point looks promising, zip over - work the point, hit one or two fish - the water is high today & there is that shoreline spot that will be holding fish, zip over there..." the list never ends... Now that is bass fishing at it's best!

I think it's funny to read the article in Bassmaster magazine that takes one pro on a totally new lake and shows how he picks apart the pattern and puts fish in the boat. They are always zooming from one spot to another and then back to the same spot - even to the same spot several times in one day.

He's going to catch up to my posts - LOL.

You can launch on the Rum @ the Anoka Co fairgrounds. From there in that nice fiberglass boat of yours you'll be safe for the first 2 miles or so. Then forget about it. It's sand though, but you'll see when you go. Watch your finder. It's hard to describe where. I could show you some time. BigMike may get jealous though smile.gif

Also, another stickler about the Rum in that section is that its no wake for about 4 miles. And the neighbors watch and will call the CO. Yes my bud and I got a ticket like everyone did that grand day and it was like 195 or something. Outrageous. So just a FYI those no wake bouys mean the whole track. I know, sucks but I don't pay their taxes.

Otherwise it's a good small smallie river. It's become a pretty popular spot and it's a small river so the pressue is high.

I may get heat for this, but I wish the Rum was catch and release for smallies. It used to be a lot better say 9-10 years ago. Now they are smart and skittish, but they can still be caught and the rum river smallie is shaped and marked differently than say sippi smallies. Rum smallies don't really have bars, more like a nice brown tan color to match the wood and sand. I suppose they can change their color patterns. Plus they are shaped like a torpedo rather than a football.

Also nice pike in there!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey BigMike,

I just got into fishing for smallies last summer and mainly fished the rum and some on the mississippi. I want to do some wading north of the cities but don't want to waste the day looking for access points. Just wondering if you have any suggestions. I don't need any honey holes( part of the fun is finding them myself), just some hints
Thanks for the suggestions!

EBass

I couldn't agree more with C & R on the Rum for smallies - only started fishing it in August of last year and really love both the quality of fish and the location so close to my home.

Perhaps we could hook up and share some spots this season....With gas prices I'm thinking that my running around the state will be reserved to pre-fishing my tourney schedule and I will be on the Rum a lot.

Was actually thinking of hitting the Rum on opener - there are some nice walleyes in there too....

Daze Off

Fishin9911,

I just got into fishing for smallies last summer too! Now I'm addicted! I had been fishing local mpls chain lakes for bucketmouths because of the great shore access! But since I started getting into a good smallie bite here and there I've really made a HUGE switch to targeting mostly smallies!

As for wading, I'm new this year to it too (the cheap alternative to having a boat - at least for now). I picked up a nice pair of waders over the winter and I'm looking forward to hitting a number of new spots. One I'm sure I'll be hitting is the Monticello stretch. For access I would try the montissippi park... up and down from the boat launch. Also I've heard about good smallie action around the 694/mississippi launch out by fridley which I'm sure I'll be trying as well. A few more general spots that I personally haven't been to yet for shore fishing is the mississippi in elk river and up by otsego. I've never been by those sections, but will probably venture that way this summer. And of course the rum will be on my list, I may rent a canoe for a couple days and do a float/camping trip over a long weekend. Finally, I'm moving this summer to Woodbury (east metro), so I'm also heading over to the 'Croix to scout shore and wading spots.

When in doubt, look for people on FM with extra seats in their boats (being on the water is always better than being in it grin.gif) I've meet some great guys from FM and learned a lot to improve my techniques and understanding for different situations and times of the year.

Good luck, maybe I'll see you out "in" the water this summer. I'm easy to recognize - I'm the guy with the nice 21'' smallie in hand wink.gif LOL

Daze, sure we can hook up sometime. I love the Rum. I just moved to Brooklyn Center so I'm kinda up that way. Still 25 mins to the launch not that I'm counting smile.gif

My merc is still outa comish. But I'll think I'll be getting a used one soon. I have some money now and I'm just looking for a good deal or maybe get mine fixed.

For opener I'm heading to the MN river. (I think I am so far) There are real nice walleyes in there. No smallies but nice white bass. And let's not even talk about the huge flathead kitties and very large channels. If you like catfishing the MN river is where that's at!

EBass -

We could certainly use mine in the meantime - Lund Explorer 1675 w/ 75 hp Merc. A bit big for the Rum but very comfortable and I have gotten it quite a ways up.

White Bass are VERY fun - had them in both Oklahoma and Missouri - along with some great catfishin'.

Let's talk some more about hooking up once the season opens.

Daze Off

if anyone wants to hook up sometime for smallies near monti or north of anoka, I have a canoe that we could dump in. I also woudnt have a problem with a C&R on the rum too.
Best Fishes
Chris

Thanks for the info bigmike. We must be twins. I love fishin the mpls chain for largemouths too. Lived off of lake of the isles two years ago and it was the best. Hope to see ya out there with that dandy fish.

Hey Guys, To all of you that fish this end of the world. I am looking to learn more about the Rum or any of the northern river waters. I have been fishing bass all over the country and the state. I have never fished much of the water up that way. It's a little bit of a hike from Waconia but am willing to drive it to learn new water. I would love to take anyone of you guys out around waconia or minnetonka in trade for a day up in that neck of the woods.

As stated in a earlier post I have a large Ranger boat and don't even know if it would do me any good up that way. I have had pretty good luck with smallies on Pepin already this year. If you guys want to have any idea of the bass you will catch with me on Waconia go to the Metro Forum and look at page 10 and 11 under the Bragging Board Photos topic. Some real dandies.

Huskie saw the pics!! What did you think? Anyone else want to catch some toad largies? I am willing to put you on some for some knowledge of the smallie waters.
Good Luck and Good Fish'n
Matt

------------------
Fish On!

Bassmastermatt
oh yeah I saw them they were some dandies, I would be willing to hook up this summer
Best Fishes
Chris

BassmasterMatt, I'd love to trade fishing secrets with you one day. I primarily fish the Mississippi between Dayton and Clearwater, for smallies, artificial lures only. You'll never see a Ranger on this stretch, but I have a Jet bass boat that will get us around. I've been wanting to try Waconia for some time. I haven't fished much for largemouths since I moved up here from the south 5 years ago.

Hawgtide, I would be open for that. When is the best time to fish up that way. Waconia is good all the time. The post spawn, hot summer, and fall are all good times to catch some toads out here. Now keep in mind the way we catch them or the pattern will differ depending on what time of year but thats about it.
Matt

------------------
Fish On!

bassmastermatt,

Was that you in the Midwest Outdoors Mag article this last month or two about metro bass lakes. I started reading it and saw a couple pictures in there and started to put two and two together (Waconia & bass & matt & fishing guide = bassmastermatt) wink.gif.

Good article! And if by chance it isn't you, you should read the article. Sounds like you know Lake Waconia like the back of your hand - hence all those monster bass pics you posted. I'm jealous...although I've developed a special place in my heart for smallies over the last couple years!

Bassmastermatt,

I would be happy to swap a trip on the Rum for a trip on Waconia if you're interested. Between August and December of last year I caught 4-5 smallies over 20" on the Rum - most on artificials but a couple on live bait late in the season.

I fish almost solely for bass (LM & SM) but have been known to chase a walleye or crappie on occasion.

Daze Off

BassmasterMatt, That part of the river is pretty much good fishing from opener til ice, with June probably the best. You just let me know when you're available. I have tourney's on June 5th, July 10th,& Aug 1, but other than that, I'm available.

You can email me at [email protected].

BigMike, It actually wasn't me. If you look at the article you will see it was written by Tim Lesmister. Tim used to be the Tournament Dir. for the MN Pro Am, of which I have fished Pro for three years. So needless to say Tim is a good friend of mine. When Tim contacted me about doing that article I was all gun ho until I found out that I was going to be out of town. With that the case I turned the article over to a good friend and fellow Waconia "know it all" matt preztel. He did a great job and put Tim on some nice fish that day. Tim was very impressed.
Matt Peters
p.s. Thanks for the compliment about the bass Pics. I have worked hard to understand how and where to catch bass. It is finally started paying off in the last four years. Oh and by the way I did read the article right when it came out.(well done I thought)
------------------
Fish On!

[This message has been edited by basmastermatt (edited 05-11-2004).]

Daze Off, Thank you for the offer and hope I get a chance to take you up on it. We will have to keep in touch and see when we can work it into our schedules. I am going to try and get out with as many FM'ers as I can. Can always drop me an e-mail. Just check out my bio...?
Matt Peters

------------------
Fish On!

Ohh By the way!!! If any of you haven't seen the bass pics I posted under the metro forum on the bragging board thread you have to check them out!! JUMBOS out of Waconia.....Page 10 and 11 are where my pics are. These are just a few of what lerk in Waconia.
I especially want Hawgtide, Daze Off, and Huskiesplayer to see them since we are going to be hunting some of those together this summer! You will catch a few of these on a day with me boys! I'm excited to start catching!!

Matt

------------------
Fish On!

[This message has been edited by basmastermatt (edited 05-11-2004).]

Bassmastermatt,

My bad on the article thing, there were just a lot of things that lead me to believe that it was (the guys name was matt, knows waconia, had a ranger boat, heck it even looked kinda like you...) Oh well, it doesn't really matter all too much. Congrats on being on FM Prostaff... lots of cool guys on here to get to know - watch out for Ebass though - he keeps telling me his magic bass bait is corn LOL wink.gif (j/k ebass).

I've actually been out with hawgtide & daze off and they are really great guys and definitely know their respective bodies of water! On my outing with hawgtide I was catching smallies every other cast (some small, some larger - then again it was early november last fall, where else in MN can you catch smallies when it's below freezing) and with Daze Off I pulled in a nice 18 & 20.5'' smallie in my hands and he had a monster (probably 22-23'' smallie) up to the side of the boat - there is always one that gets away and of course it's always the biggest one frown.gif. You'll have a great outing with the two of them!

Matt -

Awesome fish in the Metro post and nice website! Would love to hook up with you if the schedules allow - once on the Rum and once on Waconia. Enjoyed fishing with Big Mike on the Rum - it was way late in the year and, like he said, we managed to bring three really nice footballs up to the boat.

Never fished the Rum in the spring so looking forward to opener when I can go "exploring". River level already looks higher than at any point last year so some of the cover that was high and dry is now back in the water. Best baits - jig/plastic, spinnerbaits/buzzbaits, Rapala DT's and Taildancers.

Got a B.A.S.S. Club Tourney on Waconia in mid-August so will get to be down there pre-fishing and learn a bit about the lake. Already studying the lake map....

Let me know when you've got some holes in your calendar - I'm pretty flexible.

Daze Off (Tom)

Matt, I saw those hawgs and can't wait to get out there with you. What's the biggest one you've caught on Waconia?

There's some big pigs on the river, too, and they'll fight twice as hard when you figure in the current and the fact that those smallies are the meanest SOB's around.

Thanks BigMike for the kind words. I look forward to seeing you out there this year, too. Wave me down we you see me with an empty seat. I'll be out there a lot of evenings after work.

Hey Ebass Shouldn't all smallies be catch and release no matter where they're caught. Makes me sick to think about anyone filleting a smallie!

Tad

Hawgtide,

I'll be sure to wave you down if I see you cruise by me in your sweet jet boat, just as long as you don't come flying by and spray me LOL wink.gif. That stretch has some great fishing and I'm hoping to explore a few more areas up and down from Monti - probably down by Otsego too. Heck, I've got spots all up and down the upper 'sippi starting in Anoka all the way up to Monti that I want to pack light, wade and explore. I figure I've got to start putting my own time in order to find the honeyholes sometime, just don't get jealous when I'm posting pics of my 20+ inchers! grin.gif I feel it, this year I'm going to get to that 22+ mark before Ebass!

As for the other comments about catch'n release. That's all I do, I don't care for eating fish personally, I just enjoy the sport of finding and catching them! Thank goodness for digi cams. In support of Ebass, if you ever met Ebass you'd know he is very adamant about conservation and taking care of a local fishery and I think I remember him telling me he once that he only keeps a couple walleyes during the ice fishing months and that's it, everything else goes back.

Come on Bass Opener! It's no fair that walleye and pike guys get to get on the water first...

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys...........It is now time to get this thread going again. I hope all of you are catching lots of fish.. DazeOff, Hawgtide, and Big mike whats going on in your neck of the woods. When do you guys want to fish Waconia. It is good right now. I had four bass all about five pounds on monday. Drop me an e-mail from my website if any of you are serious and are going to come to waconia. Just let me know the day. I will be ready.
Matt Peters

------------------
Fish On!

By the way, Is there any where I can put my 19ft Ranger in the Monti. part of the river. I don't know anything, can I put it in the boat ramp and just take off up and down river? What boat ramp should I put in at? Is there a better spot? Is the river safe for my boat all around there? Should I fish up stream or down stream? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all.
Matt Peters

------------------
Fish On!