• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pike Fishing

It's really hard to beat the smallie fishing on the good ol' Miss right in my backyard in Monti, but I always like to take one spring Pike trip for the big boys up in Manitoba. This year we've decided to try the fly rods in Minnesota. Could anyone recommend some water in MN where we could still have opportunity to land some 40" Pike?

You can e-mail me at [email protected] or simply reply to this message.

I've seen a few really big pike caught out by the coon rapids dam. They only seem interested in sucker minnows though. I've thrown just about everything besides a fly and never got bit. Tried a sucker and 10 mins later your hooked up to a pike. Never got one over 35 inches but some were close.

------------------
Two pound test is the test of skills!!!

Big B. Minnetonka has huge pike. You have to fight the boat traffic, but if you can get out there on a weekday in the AM and it's cloudy you'd have the lake to yourself. Well except the other fisherman.

Up north. Ive seen some giant pike out of some Bemidji area lakes and Upper Red Lake. Also ood would be Lake of the Woods. There are some real giants in Canada and if you want a real monster i would head there. Went to reindeer lake in Manitoba last summer and our group of six ended up with 18 over 40 inches and one 51.75 inch giant. All caught in the first week of July. Im afrad Canada would be the best option but there are other smaller lakes with giants, but the people who know about those, know how to do one other thing....keep there lips sealed.

Big B, stick to the larger bays. I thought I put a reply in here, but I guess not.

I've seen big pike in Wayzata bay sunning in the shallows or on a large shallow bar (hint). Browns bay is another good bet plus muskys like to hang out around the bouys.

Pretty much they are everywhere and inbetween, but as you can tell by my handle I fish for bass most of the time.

Tonka has it all, but a lot of boats and jet skis as well.

yup two pound test. Only time i dont use two pound test is when im deepsea fishing in southern california.

------------------
Two pound test is the test of skills!!!

• 1 year later...

I'll go with Upper Red Lake as well. The average size pike in URL may very well be the biggest in MN. And there are a lot of them.

Please practice catch and release. Keep the ones under 30 inches. Let the rest go so they can continue to grow!