• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

mississippi crappies

marblei

I know, I know....the smallies are great in this part of the river..(monte-elk river), and I agree...TRUST ME.. smile.gif, but I'm curious if any of you guys fish 'crappies' on this stretch in the spring? I know there must be a few in here, as I have caught two by accident while 'finessing' smalllies with small baits. I always fish crappies in the spring on some lakes up north after ice out, or down south in MO during my anual april spring jaunt, but wouldnt mind trying for them on the river if I know the numbers are worth the effort. No need to tell me any 'hot' spots...just curious if anyone has had any luck in spring crappies on this part of the river, or have even attempted it. Thanks in advance......

Yes sir...crappies on the Miss around Sartell and points north are common. The river is connected to Little Rock lake which holds a decent pop. of white crappies so the river has them too. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

I haven't caught many crappies below Clearwater in the last few years. I asked Dan Gapen about that at the Sportman's Show & he said the same. They are hard to find on that stretch these days. Like Navigator, I think a lot of crappies are migrants from local lakes & creeks. Maybe we need some springtime high water to get some more crappies back in the system. I've been getting a lot more rock bass lately where the crappies should be. Vern

I fish the stretch from ER to Monti a lot. I have caught crappies, you really have to hunt for them. The stretch along hwy 10 in ER between the parrish ave bridge and babcock park is a good place to start.

Scotty

the coon rapids dam holds quite a bit of crappies rite after ice out and in early fall. Some are actually very decent sized. There is a fishing bridge there and thats where the crappies usually stack up.

------------------
Two pound test is the test of skills!!!

Thanks for the replies.....sounds like there are a few around....WHEN the water warms a bit, it will give me something to look for...thanks again!

Blanchard Dam just S. of Little Falls is also a great spot to catch some Mississippi crappies. I realize this is not the stretch of river your talking about, but if you are ever up this way in the spring give it a try.

[This message has been edited by Tour. Pro 175 (edited 03-27-2004).]

• 4 weeks later...

fishkilla, the "fishing bridge" that you are talking about, is that the walkway next to the Anoka County visitors center or the lower area? Or are you talking about the Hennepin county side? I'm heading out there this weekend to see what I can get.