Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LoveToFish

Minnkota Power Drive Motors

14 posts in this topic

You guys fish the same stretch of river I do, so I thought I would ask if any of you use Minnkota bow-mount power drive motors. Are they easy to use? How much power do you think I need for a 14 ft. boat? Do they turn fast enough?

I am looking at the 12 volt (because of room), 55 pounds of thrust, power drive motor. Thanks for any help. I would hate to spend $450 and not have it do what I need it to do.

I hate to say it, but I hate the power drive.
I have a 50PD on my 17.5 ft boat. Its decent power for it, so if you are going 55lb on a 14 ft boat, you will fly.

I hate that PD because its so darn slow to turn. I have been headed at underwater "owies", and it all goes into slow motion while I wait for that darn thing to turn.
Well, I don't totally hate it, otherwise it would be gone, but I am close to doing something. I was seriously looking at the Maxxum not long ago, and I ordered a refurb one from Cabelas that was $200 less than new, and it still had the one year warranty. Well, they called and said they can't get them any more. Cripes!
I know a lot of people that dislike the power drive Minnkota's. Especially those darn AutoPilots!!

The new for 2004 power drives motors claim to turn up to 40% faster than previous models. Do you think that would make a difference?

I do agree I think the Maxxum is a better trolling motor for the river, but if possible I would like to stay away from having to build a platform in the front of the boat. With the power drive having a 18 ft. cord on the foot control I would be able to run it from the back, as the boat is.

Big dilemma any other thoughts?
Thanks again

[This message has been edited by LoveToFish (edited 03-09-2004).]

If I was going to use a Power Drive, I would for sure get the Auto Pilot feature. When I use the PD/AP the biggest draw-back is: NOT being able to stow or lift the unit fast enough when the water gets two shallow or the rocks to numerous. Operating the unit from a remote location would only compound the problem.
The Auto Pilot is awsome for boat control when slipping backwards. When you hook a fish, just lightly tap the bow away from shore and focus on the fish..not boat control. It take some time to master the unit, but in the end it is quite easy.
Now, that being said, I use the Maxium 95% of the time.

I've had an AutoPilot on my boats for years.
I wouldn't have it any other way. Call it personal preference.

I like the cable driven better.

I have a 2003 17 ft. Lund Angler SS and it was packaged with a 2003 55lb, 54" PD. I am actually in the process of upgrading to a 74lb 24 volt system. If you are still looking, I may have what you are looking for...email me j_sundet@hotmail.com

Take care,

SUNNYD

[This message has been edited by SUNNYD (edited 03-11-2004).]

If you happen to be looking for a bowmount w/ auto pilot I've got one I'm selling.

36# good up to 17' boats- pushed my 16.5' in the river above St. Cloud just fine.
48" shaft

Anyone interested let me know.

You may want to post your items on the boat and used gear forums. It's a good place to move your unwanted items.

Tourn. Pro 175:

Thank you. I will be posting there shortly...Thanks for the heads up...I will try to do my part to help out the FM website.

Take care!

SUNNYD

Make sure you take a look at the universal transducer models. It's much easier to use if you plan on having electronics mounted on the motor. Mine has worked great. I saw a guy on T.V. that had what looked like a camera tripod handle clamped to his bow-mount. Apparently, he used it to make quick adjustments. Does anyone know if this is a product that is available to purchase?

SunnyD
You've got mail.

SunnyD, you have mail.

Well I ordered the 55lb thrust from cabela's ($429.99 plus free shipping) if I can't make it work the way I want to I will upgrade to co-pilot. If anyone is interested I will report back after a few times on the river.

Thanks for the insight to all that replied.