• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnkota Power Drive Motors

LoveToFish

You guys fish the same stretch of river I do, so I thought I would ask if any of you use Minnkota bow-mount power drive motors. Are they easy to use? How much power do you think I need for a 14 ft. boat? Do they turn fast enough?

I am looking at the 12 volt (because of room), 55 pounds of thrust, power drive motor. Thanks for any help. I would hate to spend $450 and not have it do what I need it to do.

I hate to say it, but I hate the power drive.
I have a 50PD on my 17.5 ft boat. Its decent power for it, so if you are going 55lb on a 14 ft boat, you will fly.

I hate that PD because its so darn slow to turn. I have been headed at underwater "owies", and it all goes into slow motion while I wait for that darn thing to turn.
Well, I don't totally hate it, otherwise it would be gone, but I am close to doing something. I was seriously looking at the Maxxum not long ago, and I ordered a refurb one from Cabelas that was $200 less than new, and it still had the one year warranty. Well, they called and said they can't get them any more. Cripes!
I know a lot of people that dislike the power drive Minnkota's. Especially those darn AutoPilots!!

The new for 2004 power drives motors claim to turn up to 40% faster than previous models. Do you think that would make a difference?

I do agree I think the Maxxum is a better trolling motor for the river, but if possible I would like to stay away from having to build a platform in the front of the boat. With the power drive having a 18 ft. cord on the foot control I would be able to run it from the back, as the boat is.

Big dilemma any other thoughts?
Thanks again

[This message has been edited by LoveToFish (edited 03-09-2004).]

If I was going to use a Power Drive, I would for sure get the Auto Pilot feature. When I use the PD/AP the biggest draw-back is: NOT being able to stow or lift the unit fast enough when the water gets two shallow or the rocks to numerous. Operating the unit from a remote location would only compound the problem.
The Auto Pilot is awsome for boat control when slipping backwards. When you hook a fish, just lightly tap the bow away from shore and focus on the fish..not boat control. It take some time to master the unit, but in the end it is quite easy.
Now, that being said, I use the Maxium 95% of the time.

I've had an AutoPilot on my boats for years.
I wouldn't have it any other way. Call it personal preference.

I have a 2003 17 ft. Lund Angler SS and it was packaged with a 2003 55lb, 54" PD. I am actually in the process of upgrading to a 74lb 24 volt system. If you are still looking, I may have what you are looking for...email me [email protected]

Take care,

SUNNYD

[This message has been edited by SUNNYD (edited 03-11-2004).]

If you happen to be looking for a bowmount w/ auto pilot I've got one I'm selling.

36# good up to 17' boats- pushed my 16.5' in the river above St. Cloud just fine.
48" shaft

Anyone interested let me know.

You may want to post your items on the boat and used gear forums. It's a good place to move your unwanted items.

Tourn. Pro 175:

Thank you. I will be posting there shortly...Thanks for the heads up...I will try to do my part to help out the FM website.

Take care!

SUNNYD

Make sure you take a look at the universal transducer models. It's much easier to use if you plan on having electronics mounted on the motor. Mine has worked great. I saw a guy on T.V. that had what looked like a camera tripod handle clamped to his bow-mount. Apparently, he used it to make quick adjustments. Does anyone know if this is a product that is available to purchase?

Well I ordered the 55lb thrust from cabela's ($429.99 plus free shipping) if I can't make it work the way I want to I will upgrade to co-pilot. If anyone is interested I will report back after a few times on the river.

Thanks for the insight to all that replied.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.