Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish Head

boat launch north of St Cloud

6 posts in this topic

I have always heard that the river north of St Cloud is a great place for smallies. Is there a place to launch my boat in an area that is relatively safe to fish from a boat and has good smallmouth fishing?

Anywhere between St Cloud and Brainerd is what I had in mind. I'm not at all familiar with the area, so I don't know where Wilson Park is, but I'm sure I can find it with a little research on the net. Does anyone know of any other stretches of the river that you can take a boat on, and has good smallmouth fishing? Where can I find where these boat launches are? I thought this would be a good place to ask.

Just downriver from Little Falls there is a good launch at Pike Creek. Look for Charles Lindbergh State Park on a map, and it is about 1/2 mile south of the park entrance. At an average water level the channel at the launch is 4' at it's shallowest with very little current. Upriver is good until the golf course, then it can be dicey. Downriver is fine. Don't dawdle under the bridge at the launch...barn swallows are waiting to paint your hat grin.gif

Search back through last summer's UMR forum posts - there is a new launch south of Little Falls whose name escapes me now.

Peace and Good Fishing,
Rob

That depends what you are calling North of St Cloud. I think there is still a launch at Wilson Park. Otherwise, N of Sartell there are several as well.

The name is Blanchard Dam access. It's located on the East side of the river, off of Hilton Rd. Excellent smallmouth fishing on this stretch. This is a deep water access, no worry about rocks or sunken islands for the first five miles of river.

I also live on this stretch of river. If you ever have any questions just post, I would be happy to help you out!

Paul

[This message has been edited by Tour. Pro 175 (edited 02-29-2004).]

There is an easy access north of Sartell. On east side of river, go north right past the Paper Mill (easy landmark to see). Take the first left across railroad tracks. The access is about a mile north, right across from a big horse stable with lots of white fencing.

Because this is right above the dam, the river is deeper here, and more lake-like. Also, the water levels don't change much. I prefer fishing walleyes, but the late September-November small mouth fishing is phenomenal in a few areas. I don't fish smallies too much in summer, but believe plastics into shore structure would work well then.