• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallie Tourney in Anoka!!

Mark Christianson

Yep, I'm excited about the tourney. It should prove to be real close since I would imagine everyone will have either 4 or 5 fish.

I just want to fish behind Kevin since he'll be getting them in a frenzy with that buzzbait. smile.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Christianson

• HawgTide

• EBass

• BigMike

Now why fish "behind" Kevin. There won't be anything left........ smile.gif

Hey Hawgtide,

How did you make a 20H supped up to a 30H? Can that be done to any engine? I need mine supped up to.

EBass, I don't know anything about motors so I wouldn't really know. I bought the boat/motor from my brother in law. He told me that when he had taken it in for some work and the mechanic said the only difference in the 20hp and 30hp were the carberator or something like that(it went right over my head), so he had them upgrade it. I couldn't tell you anything else.

Only a few openings left.......
I am not going to let Ebass and Big Mike steal my thunder with that "river freezing over topic thing".
:O

My partner Reid Norine and I are in and paid for! As of last Wednesday, there were only 12 spots remaining.

It's one of the most fun tournaments around. Sounds like even more fun now that I know some FMers are in on it.

I also read the rules that implied it was no cull. Umm, I don't think I like that one much. I do like the 50 boats better than up to 100.

Can't wait. I'm sure we're in for some stellar weather like the last two they held. Anyone remember those days?

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Right around 4 pounds is about average for the big fish over the years I fished it.

6 lber!?! Would that be about 22"? I'm sure there are a few lurking in there, not many but a few.

If you read the MN DNR telemetry report, it shows the growth over a life span of a smallmouth and for a smallie to reach 22+ inches it would basically mean you are catching a 10-12+ year old fish! That is a big-OLD smallie! They compared the growth of smallies on the river to that of lakes and a smallmouth in a lake grows to 20+ inches in 4-6 years vs. a river smallie that grows to 20+ inches in 9-12 years...or something close to that range.

Good luck nailing those porkies this spring. You've got to catch them before I get on the water wink.gif (ok, maybe I won't be on the water since I don't have a boat, but I'll be in it wading around...) If you see a guy floating down the river that looks like he's drowning, stop and help me LOL smile.gif

Hell, if he gets a 6 pounder on the river, I will give him my boat! It will be more like 24 inches to hit 6 pounds on the ol' river.
Well........
Big Mike,
You have been reading the report!!!
Good boy. Some great info in there. Don't let the cat out of the bag though.
Hawg,
I can store that 6 pounder in the basket you ordered to be place under the bridge. I am sure I won't mix up the baskets, and have it end up in my basket........

Maybe I won't give my boat up......
I'll give ya 5 bucks.

[This message has been edited by biglakeba$$ (edited 02-03-2004).]

You guys are at least giving me more incentive to try smile.gif BLB, I could always use another boat!

According to a report from the DNR, there were state record size bass found in the St Cloud to Coon Rapids stretch during their surveys. That would be at least 8lbs. smile.gif

Ray, you must be planning on catching a few 5lb'ers yourself if you're going to be at the top! It's gonna take 16-18lbs to win it this year (four 3lb'ers and 1 6lb). (That's what I'm ordering from Big Lake Ba$$) wink.gif

How about if I catch a 6lber in the smallie magnet tourney BLB I'll take that boat off your hands wink.gif LOL.

Just remember to put them in the submerged cage. 169 bridge 2nd pillar on right going up stream. grin.gif

If someone brings in 18 pounds, I will come on this site and declare them the finest smallmouth fisherman to ever grace the earth.

Has anyone even weighed over 15 pounds in this event? In the two years (2002 and 2001) I fished it, no one cracked 14.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

North or South side of the pillar????

State Record smallie out of the Miss?
Hmmmm. I haven't heard that one. I'll check with a guy that would know. The guy that does the electro-shocking.
I believe the largest smallie they have EVER sampled in the Miss in that stretch is around 21 inches. I cant recall for sure, but it shocked me too. I figured they would have had much larger fish.

15+ pounds with no cull one day total on the 'sippi.... That almost sounds impossible. 21 inches is a huge fish for the 'sippi. A lot bigger than those 8-12 inchers on the downtown mpls stretch...LOL

The following was cut and pasted from the DNR site:

Fish and wildlife - Mississippi smallmouth bass fishing is reputed to be nearly the best in the state. Electrofishing surveys have turned up record-sized fish near Monticello. Anglers occasionally catch five- and six-pound bass.

BigMike,
It's not a No Cull exactly, you can cull all day as long as you don't fish with 5 in the boat.

So, is this a new rule this year?

Interesting indeed on the "record sized" fish.

A friend of mine in the DNR said there has NEVER been a smallmouth sampled by the DNR over 21 inches from St Cloud, all the way down to the Coon Rapids dam.

I guess the guys doing the actual work should talk to the people posting info to the public.. smile.gif

Yes, this goofy no-cull after 5 fish is new this year. I hate it.

Whose going to be at the drawing on March 1st? It would be fun to meet some of you over a beer.

I will plan on being there.

Its on a Monday. I had totally forgotten about the drawing.

I've fished the Monti stretch since '88. The Longest fish I've personaly measured: 21 1/4"
Pete Mlinar caught it in my boat this summer.I tried to short measure it as not to break my personal record of 21". LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the drawing last night. I met a few people, but not anyone that I know from this forum. Where were you BigLakeBass?

I drew #28 so that's a bummer. I remember hearing Kevin was #24, so he get's a 15 minute advantage over us 2nd Flight folks. (Like he needs an advantage)

The real bummer of the night was finding out that there could be some shady characters in the tourney. I say this because someone stole my jacket from the coat rack last night. If someone is so low as to steal your carhart work jacket, they will probably cheat at bass fishing.

Oh well, I hope to see everyone at the Friday night banquet on July 9. (Thankfully we won't need jackets that time of year).

Also, there was a guy there who said he has a 6lb 6oz smallie on his wall from the Elk River to Monti stretch.