• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Monty Open Water??

Dennis Steele

Is there open water on the river in Monty?
Looking to get out for some open water fishing one more time before the "little poles" come out.

I commute over the Hwy 25 bridge in Monty and haven't seen any "rafts" yet. Tomorrow I'll do a physical check and and call ya. I assume you are looking to launch at your usual place.

Peace,
Rob

I fished the monti stretch from shore a couple weeks back and it was clear and free flowing. I know it's been much cooler over the last two weeks, but the water temps were still pretty warm when I was there and it would take a lot more artic blasts to start seeing any kind of ice flowing on that stretch. I did pretty well with the smallies, but as it was mentioned before, the water is VERY low.

Thanks for the info guys.
My home stretch of river (MN River)has a lot of ice.It usually stays open untill at least Christmas but with the low flow there is no current this year to keep her open.I was affraid that the same might be happening on the Miss.
I am not to worried about low water as I will still be running my River Pro.If anyone else is out and sees my big green shallow machine wave hello. smile.gif

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com
NPAA #863

Dennis your good to launch at either access in Monticello. I live in Monticello and from what I've seen it has to be in the single digits a few days, before you start seeing ice flows. It's been to warm for ice on the river, but its still really low.

Dennis
We were out in the canoe last Sunday. The only thing stronger than that wind was the bite.
The river is open and you will have no problems. You will not regret coming up here and spending some time. I would hold off on the jiggle sticks for a while.

Say, I'm finally getting a chance to fish on Tuesday, and am torn between fishing through holes on a lake while the ice is still less than a foot thick, or hitting the river from shore around Wright/Sherburne counties. I'm guessing that the river fish are gonna be in deeper holes, but I don't know too many deeper spots safe enough to take my son (5) to - the only two deep holes I can think of are in Elk River (rocky shore too dangerous for my boy to hike) and Little Falls. Any suggestions closer to Monty?

Rob

So has anyone been out to check the water flow out on the 'sippi around Monti lately? I'm just wondering if this cold weather snap we've had is pumping out any ice chunks or if I may be able to get some more shore action in! Sunday looks like it may be a great winter day to catch some smallies. I'm also looking for a baitshop that will be carrying chubs/LARGER minnows??? I might not make it out this weekend, but I'm keeping my eyes on the calendar for an open day!

Last weekend when we were out the river was clear....until I ran the River Pro up it!
We broke up a lot of ice on the way up river.It was quite an obsticle coures on the way down river.With the river low I had to run on plane and skipped over some thick chunks of ice..(Ice berg straigt ahead!)I think if the Titanic was built as tough as that River Pro it would have never sank! smile.gif

We did get into some fish.Some smallies and more walleyes.Most were a little on the small side but did manage a few nice fish.We had our best luck in front fo culverts in 6 feet of water.Caught some on catchn.com Ring-N Grubs and Kalins.Purple was the best color.

Hey Denny, Did ya know the RiverPro makes a great sled?
A few years back when In-Fisherman got the first 1672 HiPro, the ramp was snowed in. Sooo..four of us pushed the boat off the trailer onto the snow pack, spun the boat 180 degrees and pushed her about 40 feet to the water.
After the water test I ran her up on the snow pack to the trailer and we winched the boat back on. With a little practice,it becomes quite easy and fun.

I can see it now.A River Pro at your local sledding hill!
Come on kids jump in theres room for all of you,if you help me pull it up the hill smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Wow wow wow wow!! Am I hearing you guys right? You guys are still catching Smallies in the river this late in the season? Is the boat access in Monti still useable or is the river still to low? If so, Im done on the ice, I should unpack the boat!

------------------
If it aint a BASS, it might as well be a rough fish.

Nope no smallies up here. River froze solid.
Didnt see anyone catching any plus 19 inchers on Saturday. Didnt see anyone run out of minnows. Didn't see any Walters caught either. Nor that 8 lb Northern. Pretty quiet.
HE-HE-HE.

It sounds like you were not holding a mirror in front of you while you were fishing saturday! grin.gif