Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aquaman01

Species roll call.....

10 posts in this topic

Say,
In my short experience on the Upper Missy I have yet to encounter any of the following which can be found south of the cities...
Sturgeon
Paddlefish
Sheepshead
Flathead Cats
Mooneye

Any more to add? Is it because of all the Dams? Theories? Anything?

Thanks -
Rob

Not sure about those species...but here's one we have that I've never seen south of Coon Rapids...eelpout!!

Only thing is...I'm not stating it with the intent of having "bragging rights" to this fish!! wink.gif Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Serving Central MN rivers & lakes

I've been fishing the Clearwater to Elk River stretch for about 15 years & haven't seen those species either. I'm sure the dams have played a roll in this. There must have been a few of these fish roaming that stretch before the dams were built. It would be interesting to research that some more. I've caught plenty of sheepshead & mooneye below the Coon Rapids Dam, but I don't think the other species exist in any real numbers above the Ford Dam & Pool 2. I'm sure a few slip thru the locks, but I've never seen one. I think FisherDave once mentioned catching flatheads right above the Ford Dam. Here's what I have caught: smallies, pike, muskie, walleye, channel cat, bullhead, rockbass, crappie, carp, various redhorse, white sucker, bluegill & lots of turtles. I might be missing a few but you just don't see many other species up there. I don't think I've ever caught a largemouth in that stretch. So Navigator you caught an eelpout? That's very interesting. What else have you guys caught that's not on my list? Vern

Hey Vern I was just out 2 weeks a go around Elk River and boated 3 largemouth bass so they are in there. I really haven’t caught any of the other species mentioned by aquaman although I did once see a sturgeon

I grew up fishing the Miss between Little falls and Brainerd. Never saw any of those species up there. Fair number of Muskies...

I wonder which dam stops the muskies from going downriver? I've had two 'close encounters' while generic fishing in Little Falls, but none in Monticello or Elk River.
Vern - One more ot add. My son got a nice bowfin in spawning colors in Monticello on walleye opener weekend.

Anyway, back to the crux of the biscuit...

Okay - so IF...
None of those species which are common b e l o w the cities are encountered a b o v e the cities, THEN....

Maybe these big-head & silver carp won't make it up either.

Thoughts?

Rob

[This message has been edited by Aquaman01 (edited 10-27-2003).]

I caught an eel that was about 20inches long and had a snout on it like a needlenose pliers. I still have no idea what it was.; Heck I cut my line being I was afraid to touch it.

That sounds like a gar. Popular down south.

Just a thought, through the history of the Missisippi, St. Anthony falls was the major cut off for many species. All of the fish identification literature mentions this as a dividing line for many species. This also applies to the species mentioned in the original post. However, there have been introductions upstream od St. Anthony falls, including channel cat, flathead cat, white bass, etc. Basically there should be a slim chance bighead or silver carp make it up here. Of course there are always helpful fisherman to thank at times for introductions. (sarcastically)
Species upstream of St. Anthony Falls should currently include:
Eel pout, american eel (occasionally), smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, walleye, northern, musky, yellow perch, bluegill, green sunfish, pumpkinseed, rock bass, channel cat, Flathead cat (rarely) bowfin(dogfish), carp, 5 species of redhorse, white sucker, northern hog sucker, buffalo, bullhead (3 species), and many species of shiner, darter and dace. I may have left a few out, but, the entire species list should include about 50.

MMMMMM eelpout!! poor mans lobster. tried it once with a fishing friend and it wasn't half bad.