Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BigMike

Coon Rapids Dam

BigMike

I posted this in the metro forum, but thought I would post here for added input:

I went out to the Coon Rapids Dam this weekend to check it out for the first time and I was a little disappointed. Being a shorefisherman I was excited becasuse there is a lot of shoreline to cover, but I didn't really find too much quality shoreline; either too shallow, or it was moving too fast/rapids. I'm looking for some tips on where to fish??? I know "honey-holes" are sacred, but just some general advice can help. I'm looking for some river-smallie action, but understand you can pull a mixed bag down on the river. Is the only quality place to fish off of the spillways (20feet up off the water)? Should I spend my time below the dam or above too??? Remember I'm fishing from shore...

Thanks for all the info in advance.

EBass

Not a popular spot eh?

Mark Christianson

I think its more the time of year. No shortage of people hitting the shores up around there in the summer.
Big Mike and Ebass, send me an email at:
mark_christianson@cnt.com.

I have a web link to send you with some great DNR info for the Miss and smallmouth fishing. I would put it out here, but you cannot post web links.

Chris-Neises

Has anyone been fishing in this stretch of water? Is the water level safe enough for boating? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

HawgTide

BigMike, try snuffy's landing in Becker. You can walk the rocky shoreline for a long ways in both directions.

BigMike

Hawgtide...

thanks for the info on becker. I'm planning on doing a lot of wading this summer up on the upper stretch of the 'sippi. I'll probably learn most of the stretch between Otsego and upper monti by wading this summer/fall. I'm also planning on a driving down to pool 4 a couple of times to hit the rocky shores of lake pepin with my waders.

I'm chomping at the bit to get out there and catch them smallies!!! I'm probably going down to pool 2 this Saturday with the water temps raising! (probably hidden falls or lilydale. I've never done "well" on pool 2, but I know they are there and I just need to get my line wet fish or no fish!!!

fishKiLLa

how do you get access to pool 2 for some shore fishing

------------------
Two pound test is the test of skills!!!

Chris-Neises

Any current reports? I wanted to go out this weekend, but other plans have been made for me.

I know there are some spots within 150 yards below the dam where you can cast a slip bobber (2-4 deep) with a minnow and catch small walleye. You would need to check the regs. I'm not sure if they are open or not. I'm not familiar with the river regs. We did real well there a few years back in December when it was in the 60's.

Baudette66

I grew up on this part of the river s uring my first 18 years. (recently moved north). If I could reccomend anything to you it would be to put a canoe in at the Coon Rapids Dam and float to the River Park access. There are many places to stop and and wade. Smallie fishing starts to pick up in the middle of June. If your looking to catch fishi now fish on the west side of the Dam. They will really start picking up in a couple of weeks. My favorite presentation has always been a 1/4 ounce tipped w/ 2in. berkley power bait. (Sometimes they are pretty pickey about the color so bring numerous colors). What has worked best is to slowly drag this presentation on the bottom. Make sure when you get your lure close to shore not to reel in until you can see it because most of the time the fish will grab it within a few feet of shore.

Lost

Has anybody been out there since the storms hit? I'm eager to get back out there! I'm sure there's something awake out there to grab my hook. Think there's any decent crappie or bluegill where the boat launch is?

Chris-Neises

I was wondering the same thing.

Lost

Tried the boat launch area. Nothing. I saw one person catch one fish in 3 hours of fishing. Talk about not giving up. Hehe.

I was out there today (90 degrees in April? Sheesh). Off the point of the island people were catching carp, suckers, and some other rough fish. Otherwise, still slow.