Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flytyer

Kevin Turner/Fishing Knowledge

2 posts in this topic

Gentlemen,
Had to add my two cents worth. I recently had the very pleasant opportunity to fish with Kevin for a couple of hours. He was even kind enough to take my wife Deb for a ride in his boat after we were done fishing. Kevin and his wife Sherry are two of the nicest people you can meet and went out of their way to show us a good time.

On to the fishing. Mr. Turner is very modest in his last post as to his statement of JUST "chucking and winding".There is a deliberate approach to how and where he fishes his buzzbaits. I was not a buzz bait fan until this trip with Kevin but I can tell you that when the conditions are right, the buzz baits call up the big boys. I have since been out numerous times since my trip with Kevin and have raised some big fish everytime out on his buzzbait techniques. I also have caught fish on Yamamoto tubes and grubs, but fishing that buzzbait is addicting as the strikes are sometimes hair-raising!

Again,Mr. Turner is very modest. After all, you do not win two smallmouth tournaments in a row against a pack full of other great river sticks, without the knowledge and experience to pull it off.

Knowledge about particular spots on the river is rightfully somewhat guarded as in most cases ,including my own, it takes years to get to know the river. And even then, changing water and weather conditions can make it here today and gone tommorrow. All you river rats know exactly what I mean.

However, there are many places on the river where you can get into fish and nice size ones at that. I fish mostly between Monticello and Elk River out of a small prop driven flat bottom and I am convinced that I am fishing in paradise. I know other stretches are just as good and everybody has there favorite. My advice is to get out and fish, float or wade and spend some time doing it. You will be rewarded.

Thanks again Kevin for the trip and your hospitality.
If you ever want to fish in a dream machine for the river you absolutely can't beat his low-pro. I am saving for one right now. Thanks for letting me be long winded.

flytyer( MikeB.)

Kevin Turner, to be sure is one modest guy. having fished with him recreationally as well as in a tournament setting, i can tell you firsthand that he is one hell of a fisherman.