Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riverbasher

Hello from Iraq fellow river runners

8 posts in this topic

Hey all...I'm copying a post from a different board in this one....hoping to be back in by February just in time to catch the new season......

Hey y'all. I know I haven't posted on here forever cuz I usually post about the Elk River or Monticello cat action. Anyways....I'm over in Iraq, got called up for the National Guard, 134th Signal Battalion from Inver Grove Heights. I'm attached here with the 234th Signal from Iowa, 156th Signal from Michigan, and 133rd Signal from Illinois. I wish I had some pics of it but I did get to do some fishing when I was at the Baghdad Airport for a few days, they have carp in the channels there, big ones too. Once I get back to the states I have film I'll develop and hopefully figure how to post some pics of "Fishing in Baghdad." Anyway, hello from the town of Balad, Iraq, about 40 miles north of Baghdad, and hope to be home on the Mighty Miss' soon hitting the cats.
Sgt Jeremy Hinton
Elk River, MN

Hey Sgt. Riverrunner,
Did ya notice the overwhelming support on the other post? We're proud of you, Sgt. Thanks for serving. cool.gif
I hope this reply finds you well and I hope ya'll 'poach' some of those fish from SH's private lakes!

I'm in Buffalo and when ya get back I'd be happy to take you out on your home water. The boat's not much - but it floats. Pool 2 is C&R walleye year round, even in bitter-a$$ February!! If the current's flowin' - I is goin'!

former Senior Airman Aquaman - 81st EMS, USAFE. RAF Bentwaters - UK. I kept Warthogs limber and ready to rip.

Wishing you good work and safe passage.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
"The bow is set to distant shore,
then loss is gained and gains once more.
When beach is reached and sails are torn,
the journey is it's own reward."

Hey Aquaman. Yes I did see the overwhelming support on the other board and it is great to hear from y'all. I forgot to mention that when I did go fishing at the Baghdad airport that we fashioned fish hooks out of safety pins and somehow came up with some fishing line that one of my troops brought along in case we needed to lay trip wires, even though we are commo guys...lol. Anyway, we used real bamboo that was growing along the bank for rods and tied the line to the end and then to the safety pin. we used peanut butter from our MRE's(Meal, Ready to Eat for those not familiar) and it worked. We didn't catch any of the huge ones I saw but there were some fish there that were 4-5 feet long. I think the biggest we caught was just shy of a foot. All is well on this end of the world and the good news is that it is starting to cool down. At night it is starting to get down into the 70's which is a huge relief from the daytime temps that hit a record 151 only a couple weeks ago. It's averaging about 110 during the days now. I gotta go for now, and keep the posts coming and feel free to email me at mudder_78@yahoo.com. I just might have to take you up on that fishing trip when I get back. I myself have a 14' Lund that I cruise the river and local lakes on. Talk at ya later

Jeremy

Riverbasher,
Thanks for defending our country and freedom, and ridding the world of the evil. I live in Monti and I would be honored to take you fishing on the Miss when you return.

God Bless America!

Jeremy,

What's going on buddy!! Glad to hear your all doing good over there. Say Hi to Hilyar for me. Be home in Februrary huh, good deal. We'll miss you for early season goose opener this year, they have any geese in Iraq.Lol. Well keep in touch. Hey you'll be back in time for trout opener.
Later
Andrew Schmitt
Signal leads the way.

Jeremy,

I have been recruited as your replacement for goose and duck season this year. I will try and hold down your position for you as best as I can. Too bad you wont be back for the New Years ice fishing party. It will be hard to repeat last years event without you.
Giver.

Later,
Cullen

Holy cow I didn't know you were on this site Drew. I got some news for ya about some hunting land we bought out near Starbuck. email me at mudder_78@yahoo.com and I'll give ya the details. Also, in that email include your work email address as I work nights over here and that works perfect for me to email ya during the day. Hopefully talk to ya soon

jer

Cullen,
You better hope and pray that you can shoot as well as me....lol. Haven't got to shoot anything over here yet, but rest assured we are covered.....there are Apaches all over this base that fly patrols constantly to scare off any wanna-be terrorists. I'm located near the town of Balad, about 40 miles north of Bagdhad. You should email me too so I can add you to my update list

Jer