• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The measuring debate!

smallie_hawgin

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Christianson

• Kevin Turner

• smallie_hawgin

• Royce Aardahl

And those darn Hognose Suckers(or whatever they are called).

SH got one of them things on a Senko one day. He got that fish in the boat, and it latched onto his arm and nearly sucked all the blood outta him. Bad deal. We have never been back out there since.

Dont forget about that Cayman that was caught in the river by the cr dam that thing would be deadly to an unsespecting wader! The river is far to dangerous to fish, you guys should just try one of them lakes!! I heard Minnetonka has real lite boat traffic on weekends and lots of great unspoiled shoreline to enjoy while your pulling those hogs out of that crystal clear water!! grin.gifgrin.gif Besides all we river fishermen ever catch is those (Contact US Regarding This Word) carp anyway!!

Hey, You aint fishn' in that filthy, nasty, dirty water are ya? Heck, I would never dream of putting my boat in that polluted water....I think all them fish died years ago when they built that radioactive power plant.

Hey Mark. I am the guy Kevin is referring to. I have sent you an email.

Thanks for the assist, Kevin!

Yeah, ya'll must be talking about some other river wink.gif !! All I've ever seen are carp & bullhead that seem drawn to the structure created by shredded boats, littered lower-units, cattle carcasses and drums of toxic waste. That foul water between Brainerd and Anoka will melt your waders and burn your line. Ya'll must be nuts to fish that mess.

I'll stick to the world-class trophy waters in say....Iowa?

While surfing, I found a guide's site with records of his upper Wiscinson river trips.

Several 23"/24" smallies listed over 6 lbs. Seems like ole KT is gonna hafta make his way over there and check it out.

• 1 month later...

Just picked up my smallie replica from Fiber Tech. Wow, am I impressed. What great attention to detail! The fish I caught was more green/olive as compared to the copper/bronze. Mike nailed the color perfectly....not to mention a class act guy. It was not the 22" you are all looking for, but it's a 21.5" from your stomping grounds I am extremely proud of. And, she's there waiting for someone else to enjoy....

I'm in the process of designing a measuring board that will help to solve this problem. What are the critical things you'd like to see on this board?

Fonz, a measuring board is a great idea... I really like the yellow plastic measuring boards/scoops personally. You may know which ones I'm talking about, they are curved and fish fit perfectly down in them, then you just slide them over the edge of the boat when you are done measuring.

If you are thinking about making your own measuring "board", something I would probably do myself would be to use something like a 30inch 1X4 plank and put a measuring sticker on it. I would probably carve/cut a handle in the end of it for easy handling. The only thing I would take into consideration if I was building my own "board" would be the effect holding a fish on a piece of wood could have on the fish's protetive slim coat. That is why I like the plastic scoop type measuring devices. Either way, I am always sure to wet the board, sticker, plastic, etc... to help protect the fish. Let us know what you come up with...maybe we can make some for the smallie magnet event coming in June.

Currently I have my artist designing the decal design for this measuring board. It will include a line drawing of a 20" smallie with mouth closed and tail pinched, along with a reminder to measure in this way. It will include a grid of thick lines every inch so that when the fish is on the board and a photo is taken, you will be able to tell from the picture how long the fish is. (this isn't going to stop the creative liar from pulling off some kind of slick trick) It will be designed so that we can have a smallie magnet "photo only" tourney and all fish can be released A.S.A.P. and will not have to be put in a livewell,etc.

Now the question of what to put the decal on? A wooden board isn't the best option unless it has a laminate top, as the decal won't stick very well. A poly or plastic cutting board may be an option. Perhaps a company that makes river boats with a .19 thick aluminum would want to showcase the thickness of their hulls and manufacture the board to adhere the decal to? I think the board itself is where I need some help more than anywhere. I will send any interrested parties a copy of my design when it's ready (within the next 2 business days) I can be reached directly at MFANSLAU at IMAGEBUILD dot COM

Thanks, Mike

I say we put them directly on the fish. Have our DNR friends zap them up and slap a sticker on them in the springtime, then when you catch one just hoist, snap, splash. There can be no confusion.

Ice... LOL! Except when you pull in that 19incher that had a slapped sticker length on it from 10years ago when it was 4inches... DOH!

"Hey look at my 19inch smallie... err, um... I mean 4incher confused.gif"

I emailed Fonz on this idea.... I was thinking of making a board using a piece of plastic gutter material with an end cap and some plexi covering from 4-14 inches. This way you could slide a fish in and still be able to make sure the mouth was closed..... And if fonz makes some fancy stickers... place that in the bottom and walla, you have a digi-cam capable board! I will build a proto soon.

What do yall think?

I think you are supposed to be working at some conference, and not on FM! wink.gif

Lets get that proto type and try it in the new boat SH!! grin.gif

blb we all know you we wired as a kid but did you have to put your home video on your avitar?????? wink.gif

Thats the dance I am gonna do if I ever break 20 inches on a smallie. smile.gif

Yeah BLB whats the story behind that one? .... got some issues you need to air out?

Dam right I got issues.

I have never caught a 20 inch smallie!

Is there anything worse? I dont think so.

thought you caught one a couple of weeks ago..... no wait that was SH grin.gif..... LAST FALL?.... ohhh thats right that was me grin.gif.......... on the rum 2 falls ago?.... nope that was BM grin.gif... almost evrynight last summer?.... ohhh yeah that was HT grin.gif....... Big fish for the Anoka Tourney?.... how could I forget that was KT grin.gifgrin.gif.... huh well at least you and EYEGUY are still in the same boat.........

well dont worry about it after this post, theres a thing called karma, I probably will be blanked this year on the 20'er

Hey RR

I sent you an email today.

Lets say that graph and trolling motor I was going to sell you just went up to 100 bucks. grin.gif

You guys ain't right....BLB should be commended for working thru his issues. We need to be there for him. BLB...one word: BUZZBAIT

Now, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah...

Hey, speaking of buzzbait, maybe I should start a new thread, but back east we LOVED throwing buzzbaits for smallies. For a while I tried to pretend I invented it. I even named the Smallmouth Club Newsletter "the buzz" and went into hock at Jann's building them to spec for us. Now that I'm a civilian and usually only flyrod, I've stopped thinking about the buzz much. What is the size and shape color etc. you guys prefer for buzzbait smallies?

ice

KT you gotta give dirty dog a few sample buzz baits when you are lookin at that boat in missouri next week. just give him the old rusty ones in your spare tackle box grin.gif blb and fonz we gotta break 20 this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have to prove to these guys that we are as lucky as them wink.gif

Ice, Buzz'n for smallies?? Surely you jest....

If for some reason a fool would decide to fish the buzzer, it could be any color, as long as it is white. Any size, as long as the smallest you throw is 3/8th oz. Any line, as long as it is braided, zero stretch. But, I wouldn't know for sure, I think I read about it some where. KT

So now you tell me. All this time I have been tossing 1/64 spinnerbaits in lime green. blush.gif

I may have to try a 10 inch Senko this summer! smile.gif