• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River Maps

Musky Mike

Anyone have any idea of how to get contour maps of miss. river no. of Clearwater.

I struggled with this too! My final conclusion was to "just learn the river". If/when there is a severe drought and the water drops I'm getting in an airplane, helecopter, or ultralight and running up the river with a camera. Has someone else already done this for me? Perhaps, but where are they?

Don't quote me on this, but I would say that the reason there are no or few river maps, is because the river is always changing. Maps wouldn't be accurate after even a few seasons. Flooding and droughts and construction will affect the bottom of rivers. Sand bars and gravel bars move and log jams move also.

This was the case in the south when I lived there. I guess by the time the miss got down there though it was a lot faster and wider. It changed a lot.

If I wanted to get maps of rivers, i would try to get in touch with barge companies or people who do alot of work on the river. They need river maps quite often.

I haven't found any info on any river areas that are void of shipping activity. There are maps for areas below Coon Rapids, but I've never used 'em. For that area search the heck out of the US Geological Survey/Army Corps of Engineers web sites.

I use Terraserver's aerial photos & a roadmap to find dams & rapids (they show up as white darts & slashes). The photos were shot in April/May, so I assume the water was high.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

I'll check when I get back to my camper, but I believe Dan Gapen has helped Lake Maps with that area. Not accurate enough for navigation, but gives some good info on depth and species location.

You can free maps from the DNR. I have the whole Miss and Croix. It's not the best, but shows you river miles, islands, camping, launches and some roads. Not to shabby for free. Took about a week or so to get. Just give them a call or go online. That's if you're intersted. My 02

Fishing Hot Spots has a map with marked fishing areas on it. No depth but it's a nice map. I have one that goes from Monticello to the St. Cloud dam. I think I'll check out upstream from Clearwater this evning. Something new for me. I'll see if they have a web site.
http://www.fishinghotspots.com/fhsinet/
here it is.

[This message has been edited by eyeguy54 (edited 08-05-2003).]

Thanks for the 411 guys. Had same map from hot spots at one time. Done a lot of fishing from Elk River to Monti over the last 10-12 yrs. Now mainly interested in Little Falls area. Again, thanks for the great response!

Just watch out for the river version of Mille Lacs' Flamingo Reef. Just north of Elk River, someone stuck a pink lawn flamingo on an exposed sand bar in the middle of the river! The river is really down and has changed from last year. Busted a prop blade off a short shaft 5hp in an area we normally just cruise through. The smallies are hitting tubes though!! Find the rocks and toss it in. You don't need to look for slack water, they're in the fast stuff in amongst the rocks too.

I was up in Elk river 2 weeks ago. Went right up to just no> of monti. Caught lot's of smallies on chart. spinnerbaits and banging cranks off of mid-river humps. 2 weeks later the waters down too far to launch @ E.River. Thats the river. I hate FLAMINGOS.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.