Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buck12

Toad, any sunnie action on the river?

3 posts in this topic

Toad,
I haven't fished the river north of Brainerd but would like to try it for sunnies. Got a couple of grandkids that love to fish. Any advice on where to go?
Thanks

Hi Buck,

Sorry for not responding sooner . . . didn't see your message 'til just now. Starting upstream from Potlatch Dam, lots of areas in Rice Lake produce nice sunnies. As you move further upstream, check several of the backwaters off the main river channel-- some are real shallow and tough to fish because they're so choked with rice, yet others harbor a bit deeper water that will hold 'gills all summer. Some of the bays around Executive Acres can be good. Then moving upstream again, Half Moon Lake (an oxbow off the main channel) and finally, Goggle Lake often produce giant bluegills.

Access is usually the main issue in summer, as low water levels make navigation into these areas difficult. This summer so far, well, it's definitely a different story. Plenty of water; which will push these 'gills (and other species) tight up into these backwaters away from the main flow. If you encounter difficulties accessing these backwater areas, simply try getting away from the main current flow-- perhaps behind a point or sand bar, then try fishing along the edges of wild rice beds.

Oh, just rememberred one other excellent spot-- Little Rabbit Lake. Again, accessible from the main river with most boats, and full of nice sunnies. Hope you get a bunch!

-a friend,
Cory Schmidt

Toad,
Thanks for the reply. We did try up the river with no luck. We did pick up some on Rice, tho not very big. On a side note your post on weedline bonaza got me thinking about the almost forgotten Beetle Spin. My wife and I went to a lake by Nisswa and smoked the crappies trolling Beetle Spins along the edge of weeds. Thanks again and I really enjoy reading your post.