Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
basguy31

Smallmouth suggestions

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any suggestions for how and where to catch smallmouth on the Mighty Mississippi near Rice. I will be headed up there on saturday with a friend of mine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basguy31

Are you going up river? We have good luck drifting the channel and casting to shore with green tube jigs & white grubs. Cast behind every rock you see. I also throw white buzzers & spinners, but didn't do to well last week with them. Some good water below the dam for crank baits in the channel. Slip downstream and bounce them of the rocks.

I think we were going to head downstream from Rice towards Sartell. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how we do.

I fish the stretch from the sartell dam to wilson park and it's great for smallies but the water is crazy right now. just got a john boat with a 20 horse jet on it. took that baby right up under the sauk rapids bridge last week when the water level was way down. that was fun!!

Smalljaws are on a tear right now around Brainerd, down to Crow Wing State Park. River's up, fish have scattered out a bit, but they're quite active, feeding competitively along most blowdown objects or other overhanging cover along the riverbank.

We fished half-ounce orange rattling plugs along these edges a few days back, catching close to two dozen solid bass. Also popped several walleyes. River's up, it's muddy and flowing fast, but it doesn't mean the fish aren't biting! One other type of spot that produced for us were these little backcurrents off the main channel-- cuts that normally lie high-and-dry this time of year, and backsides of larger islands. Enjoy your fishing if you go!

-a friend,
Cory Schmidt

Question for eyeguy...noticed you have a john boat with a 20hp jet...how big is your john and does that 20hp have the punch to put that boat on plane. I am looking at merc's 25hp/20 output jet for my crestliner john and need some input from a small jet drive owner.
Thanks,
Nav

so far it's been great. I wiegh 200 and my fishing partner wieghs 230. it's not fast but it does plane out and according to my gps it's doing 19 mph. the boat is a Ficher 1648 AW. hope this helps.

it is a merc, 1999 model I think. heading to the river in a bit to hunt the mighty smallmouth.

fishing was good, 8 smallies 17 1/2 incher was the best. 2 shook the hooks that were bigger. dang!!

eyeguy,
Thanks for the quick reply. One more question...whose motor are you running? Merc is the only company making a smaller jet that I am aware of. Nav

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Sushilicious
      We only fished for 5 hours (only 2 hours were worthwhile 29 ft).  
    • Sushilicious
      OK so day before father's day we had terrible weather. 1st spot was in 14 ft of current n we caught 4 eyes. Did c a sturgeon role but waste of time other than that. Next spot 6 eyes still a wasted time cause of the weather but the old man did caught a 20 in so it wasn't all that bad. But once the weather allowed we catch  26 eyes n in 29 ft of water n one was 24 in.
    • Sushilicious
      Definitely have 2 disagree with with u 2. I understand the drive n the worry but if you've fished the csn chain for 10+ years there shouldn't be a worry 2 find a campsite cause you've driven past plenty of them. Also we're in the same boat regardless of the travel distance to fine a campsite. Yes it is nice 2 have a guaranteed spot but since they went 2 paid 2 camp regulation they have taken out a number of campsites so it limits options. ALSO U R WAY WRONG ON SAYING MORE PPL R AT THE PARK NOW. I went last Saturday  (day before father's day) n we seen like 4 or 5 more boats than canoes. It's nice for ppl who don't know the csn chain but it's terrible for the economy.   Fyi. First time I went fishing on the chain I went lake trout fishing on David......... I was 6 weeks old ......... I'm 32 now..... my dad's been fishing the csn chain for 65+ years    P.s. love how there's less pressure=better fishing.
    • Rachelkate21
      Hey! Does anyone know any brooks/steams/rivers that would be full of trout? Preferably near lakeville, mn but ill travel!
    • redlabguy
      Nice fish, Jeff. And good lesson on 1/2 crawlers, Cliff. I'm off the water for a few days with family doings, but should report I've seen a lot of mayflies in Frazer and near the portage. Clouds on the sonar and slicks of the water. I'm guessing it's not the big hatch, but it's providing a lot of food for fish. good luck out there.
    • osok
      Just got back into town from a slightly too long "vacation" dealing with relatives. Anywho, how has the fishing been on Superior, are the fish local or have they migrated N.E? 
    • AaronTC05
      I just bought a new Elite 7TI and the sun cover it came with doesn't really snap on very securely.  I'd say it just rests loosely on the outside.  It won't fall off if I flip it upside down, but it feels like it wouldn't stay on going down the highway or withstand any sort of jarring.  It takes hardly any pressure to pull it off.  Is this normal or is it a defect?  I've never owned a graph with a sun cover so I'm not familiar, but I imagined it would be a lot more snug.    
    • leech~~
      We will see if Sailorfly is another ask a silly question one hit wonder? 
    • jiggin9
      I have a Lowrance Elite 7 and was curious what lake chip most of you recommend for Lake of the Woods.  The insight pro chip that came with my unit is very basic for up there and was looking for a more detailed chip.  I'm not sure what brands are compatible with the Lowrance and which ones aren't.        Thanks in advance! 
    • Hines R
      Glad it didn't take a swim. My buddy had one of the cheaper Minnkotas deploy while he was up on plane using the main motor.  Needless to say it was a weak pin in the release system. It was a rental boat so he didn't have to deal with it. Bent the heck out of the stem portion. It was fully modified!   Didnt know now you were still going up to LOTW. Thought you were selling the place. Assuming you don't have the Sportcraft anymore since I don't think you'd put a Minnkota on that. If you still have the Sportcraft I know someone that might be interested in it.    I head up to South end out of Wheelers point tomorrow after work. Up for 2 weeks. Touch base with me if you are coming up or have the Sportcraft still for sale.   Ryan