Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maplegrovefisherman

Cats around Monticello

15 posts in this topic

How is the catfishing around Monticello? Someone mentioned to me that the area wasn't that good for cats.

Who ever told you that couldn't be more wrong, having fished that area for 20 years I have found the cat fishing to be excellent. But you won't find the giants there that you would say on the minnesota river

Thats good to hear. I have caught/released hundreds of smalleys in the area, but was hoping to do some catfishin this summer. Any good shore fishing spots?

Love to fish for cats around Monticello. I like heading up there for evening fishing. Bringing home nice eaters is not a problem. The biggest I've caught in Monticello was 31".
There are two parks in Monti. One is right in Monti on 75. If you head west on 75 out of Monti about a mile you will come across a sign for Montissippi park. (may have spelled that wrong). Just to the right of the landing is a nice hole. I've seen walleyes, smallies, little northerns, and many cats caught out of it. I've got a flatbottom and 15 hp. Let me tell ya it gets shallow by the time late summer comes around. Took off the tail and messed up the prop during goose season last fall. That's alright though. It's for a worthy cause.

Several years ago I fished that area alot. We caught a lot of catfish and other species on the East side of the river between the NSP Park(Big Oaks) and the HWY 25 Bridge. There is a small bay/sand eddy. It used to be possible to get there from shore, but now there are houses all around, so you will need a boat or permission to get to it.

Good Luck

How far North or South is that bay from Montissippi Park or the trailer park?

If you have a boat (small prop will do just fine) Put in a River Terrace RV Park(763-295-2264)its just below Montisippi park. Monti is a great spot, but if you don't no the river channel it can destroy your prop. There might be a small launch fee at River Terrace, I'm not sure. Cross the river from the launch ramp, and you'll find a dandy Catfish hole. Be carful not to go downstream to far with a prop, but the is plenty of deep water upstream, to fish for cats, smallies, or some eyes. It's not real good for shore fishing 'cause the deeper water is out a ways. Although I've seen some dandys landed by some of the kids from the park.

Maplegrovefisherman you can also fish cats right from snuffys landing. It's the next landing north of montissippi park. it's an evening bite, good luck.

Hey smallmouthking,I've tried to e-mail you but they won't go thru.

Hi Kevin, seems as though you've been a very busy man. You should be able to reach me at jjensen44@msn.com

maplegrovefisherman:

That bay is just south and around a little point from river terrace. The east side of the river has fairly good depth so your prop won't get too beat up, but better safe than sorry.

whats the farthest up north that you can catch cats on the missippi what about up by brainerd area

Lund,

I saw an episode of In-fisherman where they went for channels basically in their backyard. In-fisherman is right on the Mississippi in Brainerd. (don't know where) I'm pretty positive that they are further up then that.

I know the Red River has them, so the Sissippi should too.

EBass

I have always had very good luck upstream from clearwater(city) for cats. I can recall one night myself and a couple other friends went through more than a pound of leeches in one night catching channels.

The spot we fish is a couple miles up from the access on 25 on a sharp bend to the left in the river(middle of nowhere). The cats average about 2-5 pounds, with an occasional big fish ... ones you cant turn around.

Be sure to have a shallow running boat if you run up that way. There is one shallow *channel* that you need to take it easy. The main channel is on the right side near shore when heading upstream in the shallow channel area.

I got mine off the shore at Montissippi park, just in front of the smallmouth hump, which is just out & downriver from the rock-bass trees. If you're getting suckers and carp, you're close - but you're in faster current - move it towards shore.
When you're done for the day, kindly pick up a little of the other people's trash that gets left behind. They really need to put a trash can at that park. Last time I was there I picked up an entire discarded spool's worth of mono. Much more of that and the county might shut off fishing there.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes