• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi river in Dayton

erikwells

Anyone ever fish the Mississippi where the Crow river meets the Mississippi in Dayton? I fished it once in the evening around July or so. I caught carp and smallies. Nothing to brag about. I tried to move my boat up the Crow to do some exploring but it gets way shallow and I had to turn back. I am close enough to the Mississippi in Elk River (really close) the Mississippi in Monticello, the Mississippi in Champlin and the Mississippi in Dayton. So far with my limited water time and river knowledge I would say the Monticello stretch is the most productive for walleye and overall catching. Anyone have an opinion?

Hey Erik!
I'm not familiar with any of those stretches; but when Rob gets his River Pro boat I expect that he's gonna familiarize all 3 of us fast!

mm

Yeah, about the time I hit the Powerball! The next level of promotion here (sales) brings about a 25% raise, and that's a couple of years off! When that happens, my first 'sale' will be selling a RiverPro to my wife, who would prefer an 18' to 20' pontoon, and my counter-offer to that would be "okay, but I get a jon-boat with a swamp-motor" for the river. As it is now though, when Uncle Sam gives me back the portion of my taxes that he doesn't want, I'm shopping for a used 10hp short-shaft to get my 12' alumibeater out on the river this season. I'm sure we can get all 3 of us into it, if fatherhood hasn't put too many pounds on Mr. Wells, that is.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Mistermom, I already got on picked out for him. All he needs to do is buy it. I'll buy bait, you flip him 10.00 for gas and all we have to decide now is where and when. Robertc????

Sounds good guys!
I got the lower Croix and Miss pools 2-9 rig and you guys cover the upper stretches. We will be as good as Fishhead in no time (yea right!)

mm

Erik

I agree with you on the Monticello section being more productive. However I have done better on Walleye in the Elk River section. It's quite a bit deeper in some areas around Elk River. There is a good spot on the Crow right under the Dayton bridge. There is a large rock pile just upstream from the bridge, that walleyes like to lay behind. In my experience the Crow River is not the greatest for Walleye, but can be very good for Catfish. Try that spot out and let me know, I've never been skunked at that spot for walleye.

ericwells,
I'm from that area. I was raised just up the Crow from Dayton. Their are som holes in the river bends that hold some nice fish. We always did well on opener and in the fall right behind my family's house. Lots of nice rock their. My family's home is right where the high banks are on the one side or the river, by an island. Great area. If ya have any questions let me know. Not much for river fishing up here in Bemidji.

------------------
Reel Adventures Guide Service
Bemidji Area
http://fishingminnesota.com/reeladventures/
Phone: Call 218-751-1800
E-mail: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Chad Harding (edited 02-14-2003).]

erikwells
anytime you can find a feeder i.e. creek / river / drain pipe ext. you will have and interesting time. you are on the right track with finding this type of structure.Metro

I want to be a riverman like Fishead! The metro lakes can really be a Zoo in the summer and the river offers a lot that most lakes cannot. Thanks for all of the advice. I really really appreciate it and will be sure to share anything that I learn. Thanks.

Riverunner, the spot you speak of in Dayton is that right off 101? I bet that is a shore spot being the river being so shallow in some of the areas? Thanks

Erik

The spot on the Crow is almost under the 101 bridge in Dayton, right before the Crow river runs into the Mississippi. The rock pile is located near the Middle brige piller about 20 to 30 feet upstream of the brige. In the summer there is usually a sand bar that you can wade out to and stand on in the middle of the river. You should be able to see the top of the rock pile exposed.

RiverRunner
Do you catch alot of catfish from that spot in Dayton. Any suggestions for cats around Dayton/ElkRiver area.

maplegrovefisherman
In the evening fish some of the brush piles around the island just up srteam from where the crow meets the Miss. Also their is a couple slack water areas off the end of the Island thats a good spot.
1 oz bell sinkers with a 12-16 inch leader and cut bait or gobs of crawler work great for me. Just thought I'd help. Their is a sweet small mout spot just down river from where the two meet as well.
Take care guys.

------------------
Bemidji Area

Thanks for the reply Chad. Do you get alot of cats early in the season from those areas?

Maple Grove,
Like I said I live In Bemidji now and haven't fished it for a while. When I make it home(just up the crow from Dayton) to visit ,I take my dad out a lot. We seemed to do best from about mid june on through the end of summer. Their are some big cats out their. in the Crow itself we cought cats up to 19lbs. Good luck. If ya any questions don't hesitate to ask.

------------------
Bemidji Area

You guys are talking about one of my favorite stretches and I didn't even know it!One of my favorite walleye spots was near there.In the spring and fall I would fish upstream from the Crow where you meet your first nearly unpassable rapids.There was a side channel that came in on the left side as you were heading upstream just below these rapids.A deep hole was formed at that intersection and the walleyes would stack up there as the side channel dumped into it.On the other side there was a deep eddy that would also hold some fish.Above those rapids is a run filled with boulders that can be really hot in mid summer when the smallies head to mid river.I got some nice fish there.I never did try too hard for any cats in this stretch but that 19lber has me thinking! smile.gif
PS don't think I'm all that good, you havn't fished with me yet! smile.gifThe water you fish is what makes a guy good.To heck with the lakes!

I am not familiar with Bernings mill.I never did pay attetion to land marks too much.Heck I was talking with some one about that stretch and he was talking about some mansion.I said I had never noticed one.He was quite surprised because he said it was pretty hard to miss.I just keep my eyes trained on the water!Its been probably 5 years or better since I fished that stretch.I would launch at Dayton and head upstream past the island maybee a mile.There was a couple cabins on the shore on the left side.Heck some times I even launched in Champlain and headed up to that spot then fished my way home.In mid to late summer I would have to get out and push the boat in some places.

Fishead, sure you didn't know what stretch we were talking about. Playing a little Columbo. Fishead the area you are talking about where is that from the Bernings mill area? Bernings mill is right on my way home from work (small detour). I would stop there and do some fishing this summer and fall a couple of times a week.

Just to make sure we're all referencing the same spots here, I recall scouting a parking lot/launch where the Crow drains into the Mississippi. The banks are steep and rocky at the bridge. There is a FAT huge mansion at the top of a cliff that looks down right onto the junction.

Bernings mill is the steel bridge where a road comes out of St. Michael and you enter a county park, or refuge?

Erik - I reconned the spillway again, and I think I know why I kept getting 4+ lb. northerns out of the same spot - found a spring! I bet if a guy took his boat along the rivers right now, the springs would stand out nicely and be easily logged for future reference.

Fishhead - let your reputation flourish - let the legend swell - then open up a guide service! grin.gif

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Wow Fishead!
That was amazing how fast you got your guide service together!

What month do you typically start guiding for cats? I might be interested in a trip. Cool website! Thanks!

mm

Ya pretty darn good for only about an hours worth of work Huh. smile.gif

You can start getting them after ice out but in may things start rolling.There may be "discounts" for my online buddies. smile.gif

Do you do any midweek middle of the day trips?
You know, when the little hummers are at school.

mm

Well I'll be! Those are some nice flatheads, Fishhead! Ugly, but nice! Congrats on the biz. So much for trading a homecooked meal! grin.gif

You work the upper Missy?

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Thanks guys.It needs a little refining but it will do for now.
For now I am going to have to keep the day job.Your so lucky mistermom, weekday trips! smile.gifI plan on scheduling some half night trips for flats or eyes during the week and anything goes on the weekends.

What do you mean ugly Robert?Those are the most beautifull fish that swim in the water! smile.gif

Hey fishhead!
What do you mean ugly Robert? OK the guy is no Brad Pitt; but I think ugly is a bit harsh. And it is the inner person that counts anyway.

mm

------------------

If it's all about inner beauty, and flat heads have such devoted fans, they must CORNER the market on inner beauty, 'cause they faces iz U G L Y! But the say they have the most complex tasting system of any fish.
REWORD - But they say they have the most comlex system of tasting what is in their mouth of any fish.
**didn't want to come back and read "which system, RobertC, the digestive or reproductive?" wink.gif

------------------
< )/////><{
RobertC

[This message has been edited by RobertC (edited 02-24-2003).]

I live in St.Michael and fish the crow a fair amount. I work at Fox Hollow Golf Course (on the crow) and have some great days catching walleyes, smallies, and cats right off the course. I also started to fish the miss up about a mile from dayton and found 2 really great holes for smallies and eyes. Speared right behind the mansion one day this winter...saw 2 northerns speared 1. The river is a ton of fun but you got to keep your eyes peeled for the logs and rocks in the boat!

Eyes, I drive by the course whenever I go fishin by Bernings mill. I will have to venture down that way in the spring. I hope the water won't be too high to allow me to put on the chestwaders and do some exploring. So you work at a golf course and you fish. I always tell people that when it's nice enough to golf I go fishing. Good to see you have your priorities in order.