Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stiff

Starting point advice ???

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I’ve been thinking about fishing the area around the confluence of the Mississippi with either the Crow Wing or Long Prairie Rivers for some time. I’d be happy starting on any of the three. The only thing that keeps me from going is that I’ve never gone and I have no idea what to expect, so I always fall back to some lake or trout stream that I already know. I basically have two questions.

1) What is a good set up to fish from in these waters? And 2) where is a good area to start?

As for the set up, I have an 18 ft aluminum canoe, and I also have a small 14 ft old Lund with a 9.9 motor (actually, the motor is my brothers). I have a transom mount trolling motor that I could put on this boat as well.

Are there spots that I could put in and take out at the same point? Or do I need to plan on some type of “float trip” and take out somewhere downstream? If I use the boat, would my brother’s prop be safe? What type of water am I looking for that would hold fish? Can I get by with artificials? or should I plan to bring some type of live bait?

I guess that’s more than just two questions.

Stiff

The Minnesota Atlas is a good place to start for locating landings on the upper stretch of the Miss. The ones marked on the Atlas could handle your 14' boat without any problems. As far as navigating the river, go slow at first and learn the river. There are areas north of Little Falls to Brainerd that you need to take it easy and up the Crow Wing river too. I have found that plugs and plastic tipped jigs work great on walleyes and bass in the river, but don't forget the fatheads. There are some days that they out produce everything else. Good areas to try are: shallow rapids and holes just down stream from the rapids. The fish could be holding tight to the bank in small eddies or in the main flow, so experiment with presentations.

I am guiding a person this Saturday on the stretch just above Sartell and will let you know how it goes.

Good luck! Nav

www.naviguides.com

It looks like there is a landing at crow wing state park that is easy to reach and accesses a lot of different water. Does anyone know if you need a state park sticker to use the ramp? I'm thinking about giving it a shot on Saturday as well.

Unfortunately, I've never used that access, but if it is a state park then yes you need a sticker to enter the park. The park sticker cost's is usually pretty reasonable. Have fun and let us know how you did! Nav
www.naviguides.com