Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toad

Tip

7 posts in this topic

Quick little tidbit from a group of really good area anglers I know. Apparently, walleyes in the Crow Wing River, from the Miss confluence, up a few miles has been treating these fellas very well. Especially in evenings and at night.

Casting smaller Husky Jerks over hard-bottom riffle areas near holes sounds like the top tactic. Lots of fish up to 5 pounds or so.

So, if you get a chance to sample this pattern, be sure and let us know how it goes, ok?

-a friend called Toad

Casting and Trolling original rapalas and jointed rapalas upstream, through eddys is working well on the Mississippi around Monticello for large bass and walleyes. Went out last night and caught 3 walleyes and one 19 1/2" smallmouth.

Any where there is a current break alongside a fast current appears to hold walleye, usually along shore. Anchor at the top end and slowly let out anchor line, so you can fish the whole area. Been doing well casting shad raps and fat raps in these areas. You'll catch lots of bass and walleyes doing this.

Thanks for the tips!

The old bobber and fat head has been working well for me as far as small mouth go.

Holy Bear

Gave the Crow Wing a try yesterday from the mouth up to the old bridge abutments. I found the river really tough to navigate with a boat and motor. The current is fairly strong in some spots and it gets very shallow across the whole river in several spots. Upstream progress required a lot of walking the boat upstream.

I fished through midday and didn’t catch many fish. What I lacked in numbers, I made up for in variety and quality. I caught 1 walleye, 1 smallmouth, 1 one largemouth (surprise), and a handful of northerns. They were all nice fish though the bass were each about 18” and the walleye was 21”. I also lost one bigger fish that I never gave me a really good look but it was probably about26 – 27”. I didn’t see any white, but it acted like a walleye.

Most of them came from deeper pockets (5-7’) with less current.

Stiff,

Holding out on me again?????

Jim W