Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toad

Potlatch Dam Hotbite

2 posts in this topic

How could a guy, given mid 40s in December, possibly stay off the river? So it was that yesterday after a quick phone-call from a friend, the two of us found ourselves below the Potlatch Dam, pitching lightweight jig & shiner combos. Nevermind an icy boat ramp struggle, the fish were going!

Between 1:30 and 4pm yesterday, we must've hooked twenty pike up to 7-lbs, half as many walleyes to 3-lbs and two bruiser smallmouth not too amused about the coldwater. Somehow, I also managed to snag in the upper snout, about a 20-lb buffalo-- what power!

Now's the perfect time to hit these tailrace areas-- warm weather just won't let the ice take hold, so why not afterall? Shorefishing at Gull, Pillager, Sylvan and Crosslake dams continues to offer enjoyable walleye, pike and perch action. Time to go get 'em. Fish 1/8 or 1/16oz jigs or slipfloats tipped with small minnows.

-a friend called Toad

Can anyone tell me where I can go fishing on the river around Monticello. I am new to the area. Where is this Potlatch dam? How is the fishing here in the summer time?