• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

directions for duck hunting

simcox282

Got a boat ?Go north on 35w to mud lake.Only about a 20min drive for ya.Your best bet would be to get a "MN Gazateer"(spell check) or even get some of the DNR P.R.I.M. maps.These show some neat little spots a lot of people look past.

Drop me an e-mail gregk at smc duct dot com

------------------
Greg

Maybe I was not clear about what I am looking for ---- I am from coon rapids have hunted the metro for a long time. My father is living with cancer and turning 60 this year. I am looking to go north such as low, tief lake, red, winnie, leech, mille lacs, or other northern locations or west such as belgrade, otter tail county etc. I am not looking for specifics just a general area and I wil ltake it from there I have the gazetter, the prime maps topo maps of the state, etc. What I am looking for is a memorable time for my father as this will be the last duck hunting trip he takes.

Sorry to hear about your fathers illness.

I guess I don't know what you're really looking for,it seems you know the places and have the info at hand,so I guess I'll be of no help on this one. Sorry,good luck.

------------------
Greg

Just South of Fergus Falls there is tons of public land.I have hunted it for years and always had good luck.There are good pass shooting spots plus great decoy lakes and sloughs.A lot of easy to get to spots. Opening weekend is always very crowded but after that it calms down.There is a lot of water standing in the fields right now which has made hunting a little more difficult.They should dry up a little if it could stay dry for a few day sending the ducks back to the sloughs, otherwise they have just stayed out in the fields getting fat.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Although I've never hunted there I would recommend Leech. I've fished bass in the Rice in the bays in the fall and there were lots of ducks and geese. Lots of places to hunt as well. I'd think you'd do well there.

There's also lots of beaver ponds and small lakes in the Chippewa National Forerst. I've taken a few ducks there over the years just jumping potholes. But have seen a lot of ducks while grouse hunting there in the fall.

Borch

I think he's looking for a spot where ducks might be. If that's the case take Winnie off your list. Weather may have been a factor, but scouting the area I saw very few and didn't get many good reports. Good luck, hope you find a spot and have that perfect weekend you're looking for. Best of luck to you and your Dad.

I am thinking about heading up north this weekend duck hunting. I am not looking for exact coordinates. I am trying to bring my dad on a duck hunting trip within mn. It would be the first time that we went anywhere north of T.C. Any help would be appreciated.

i would suggest a big lake blue bill hunt in the late season. cass, leech, winnie, low, etc. i don't usually hunt this early, and wait until the weather turns for the worse, there nothing better than those bills whistling into the decoys.

Sim, is he still in relativly good health? How much can he still physicaly tolerate?

He is realatively healthy -- the man is made out of iron -- my first memroy of hunting was with him and a flock of teal. He has lived wtih cancer for 5 years now it is taking affect. I appreciate everybodies help and info. Especially some of the new guys that I have met. I do not always write something but I read everything. I have learned a lot from this site an dvery much appreciate the hints and helps that I ahve received.
Thanks

Terry simcox

Sim,

i know what it is like I lost my dad in July. If you want some good shooting up in this area (Bemidji) there are geese all over west of Bagley. Thief river has some birds according to the DNR they are holding tight to the refuge but some ae now moving w/ th efront that just came in. There are birds on the Boy River east of Walker in the leech lake area. Park rapids has geese and Mallards and woodies. Some of the guys did well down around Mille Lacs. This weekend will give us a better lead on movement. Roseau and Baudette are seeing flights of geese and Snows with a few specks, nothing yet for big flights of divers or northern mallards. What type of hunting are you planing pothole jumping or big water spreads or feilds. Big water you are talking will take a good sized boat and motor and large spread. Give us a time frame and details and we'll give you a heads up.

Ever been to Devils Lakes ND If not this is the place to Go. I hunting with a man last hunt there and he ever been out there he seen more ducks in one day then you do in a season up north (I hunt in Ottertail ever weekend for many years)I was there 10/2 and sunday we shot a mixed bag (11 kinds) Hope he gets out there!! lots and lots of land and that many ducks too