• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is the coolest waterfowling antique in your colection?

Hey fellow waterfowlers,

Let's start a thread about the coolest, uniuqe, antique (or not even an antique) waterfowling item that you have.

Is it a favorite decoy? Maybe an old shell or shell box? Article of clothing maybe?

For me, it's hard to choose. I have a number of shotshell reloading devices from the turn of the century, pretty cool stuff. Or how about the old ads from 1930's and 40's magazines?

But if I had to pick, it HAS to be my colection of 1890's Stereoview cards.

For those of you who do not know what I am talking about, stereoview cards were THE rage back around the turn of the century (1800-1900's). These cards, when put into a stereoviewer would give the person looking at them a 3D image of the scene depicted. You can find these at almost any antique shop, with almost every subject imagineable. Quite a few bear imense historical value since many depict everyday life, architecture and historical events.

I lucked into mine on 2 separate auctions on ebay. All of them depict waterfowling scenes from the period. Most of them are of market hunters showing off their bags. The coolest one, and this one can be found as a reproduction in many waterfowling books, is of a single hunter sitting next to a wall with over 150 birds tacked up on it. It's just amazing to see what once was, and it's also sad at the same time. Other cards in the series show hunters in small wooden boats and in one you can even see the spread of nice wooden decoys that one would almost kill for now days. If I get time I might scan em and post em so you can all see em.

So what do you have? What makes them special to you? Is there a story behind it?

------------------
>"////=<
[email protected]
Ice Leaders

www.stonelegacy.com

My father.

PJ

Also, my pair of 8ga SxS (127yrs & 1??yrs old) shotguns that are still fully functional and are called often into active duty for Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays, and Phesant season. I would never 'dream' of loading 2oz of #2 Bismuth wrapped in mylar behind 44gr of Blue Dot started with a Win #209 primer. This is because 1/2oz of steel from a .410 is better than 2oz of Bismuth according to the Feds & State.

[This message has been edited by Perch Jerker (edited 09-10-2004).]

My dad had some styrofoam canvasback decoys from the 50's or early 60's.

We have been hunting on a friends place since 1962. Pop evidently had one of these can decoys break loose, and it had been laying out there for years.

The landowner found it a couple of years ago and gave it to me. The thing had gained a lot of weight being out in the elements for twenty odd years. Almost all the paint was gone.

Dad died in '98, so it was pretty neat to have one of his old decoys returned to me. It is on a shelf in my Mens Crisis Center (garage), and I smile everytime I look at, and thank pop for getting me hooked on the outdoors and hunting.

I just started collecting old shotgun shell boxes. I like some of the Holiday boxes with the waterfowl pictures on them.
I also have some old Maxums and a few other that I believe came from Canada.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.