• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Youth Hunt

fishinmike

What do u guys think about the Youth Waterfowl Hunt on September 18th?

I think that it is a great idea and it should continue to go on every year. I am able to hunt it so that gives me a real biased opinion on it but im sure that if all the adults out there that dont like it were 15 yrs old, they would love it just as much as i do. The best thing about it is that i get to do what i want to do. I get to set up the decoys, pick the spots, and call them in. To me thats something that every kid should be able to experience. Most of the time when i go with my dad, he gets to to pick the spot and set up the decoys and to be able to do that on my own is awesome. Most the adults that dont like it say that it scares the ducks and what not, but there are always gonna be ducks throughout the season. Its instinct to fly down through Minnesota at the same general time every year, whether or not there are hunters waiting for them along the way. YWD, to me, doesnt make much of a difference in the duck hunting season.

Mike

[This message has been edited by fishinmike (edited 09-09-2004).]

It's bogus!!

There are no stat's proving that it is doing what it was intended to do.

I know they're kids and all...but for some reason they are allowed to get away with things tthe rest of us are not. The ethics preachers everywhere go after guys that shoot at birds out of range, cripple birds, lose birds due to crippling, shoot too much, etc.

They way I see it, is if they are going to participate in the YWD, chances are good they'll go out a time or 2 or more during the regular season. So why have a special day???

What really pi$$es me off is the amount of shooting. I typically hunt a very large, very public area that weekend for geese, and the amount of shooting is incredible. Then they brag..."oh...lil' Timmy had a great time...he shot over 3 boxes of shells!!"
I guarantee, if I shot 75 rounds to gather 6 or less ducks in a day...there'd be at least 50 more laying in the grass dead or dying.

I wish the DNR would someday see the uselessness of the YWD and end it...and give us our day back to the regular season.

I think its a good program. I live in the Fergus Falls area and hunted for 20 some years. I have a 13 year old boy who is going to go hunt on the youth day. This is the first year we have had some private land to hunt on other wise I have always hunted public land.I know the competition when it comes to public land, you talk about youths shouting to much I see more adults sky blasting at ducks & geese. I drove down one road last year that has a lot of public hunting on it. Last year that had to have over 150 cars parked on it, everywhere you looked there was hunters fighting for their spot,not somewhere I want to take my kid. Talk about teaching some bad habits.Adults can be the worst example to kid at times.I am luck enough to have some private land to hunt on this year I would hate to bring my child out on public land opening day which a lot of people have to do.This is an opportunity to teach the children to hunt the right way and not abuse the way it is supposed to be used, for the kids.I am looking forward to takeing my child out duck hunting,sit back,watch him shoot at some ducks. This is a chance for me to teach my child what is a good shot,what is too far away with no competition.I hope everyone understands what this youth hunt is all about if it drives a few ducks away so be it, I enjoy just being out there.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I really like it! grin.gif

By the way there isn't any data that it's not doing what it is intented to do either. But what it does do is give the youth one day where they are the only ones shooting. No need to rush their shots. Adults can even pay closer attention to safety issues as they won't be concentrating on the birds as much(they should always do this but some get caught up in the shooting). I've taken my kids out a couple of times on this date. To be honest I've heard less shooting on youth day than any morning of the early goose season. There isn't enough pressure to move birds so you usually get the ealy morning movement and then it's really slow.

I know some folks complain that it scares away the ducks. Again, this hasn't been my experience. But some folks just need to blame their lack of early success on something I guess(Kinda reminds me of the walleye fisherman blaming the muskies or smallies for their lack of success). Some folks also complain that the adults are also shooting ducks then. If this is so it's illegal. You really can't blame youth day for adults breaking the law. That's an individual choice.

Actually MN has fewer youth days than just about any state. Most have youth weekends for waterfowl, deer, turkey and small game. These generally occur before the general openers.

Whether you participate in the youth hunt or not, take a kid hunting. You can make a difference in their lives.

Borch

Why does it take a special day for parents or guardians to teach the ethics and safety of hunting? My father taught me everything I needed to know during the actual season, no special rules, no special times, no special dates. I was able to become part of the "Duck hunting opener" tradition a lot sooner. If a parent really wants their child to learn to enjoy all aspects of the hunt they will with or without a special day.

I agree that with or without the youth hunt hopfully the kids will still go.I just look at some of the hunting going on know and have to wonder if there shouldn't have been a youth hunt a long time ago. There is a lot of good hunting practice going on but there is a lot of bad going on too.

I don't like it as well. Most kids that go out on youth day will go again on the actual opener. Most of us learned to hunt this way and are still hunting. We did not require a special day to get our interest and more importantly our money. I haven't met many proud parents that couldn't pass up a few teal or lone mallards on opener for their kid to have a shot. I believe on a small slough the ducks become pretty wary after two or three kids each fire 75 rounds in a day. We still shoot plenty and I'm not saying as a bitter hunter, I just feel it isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I don't like the idea of having it outside of the regular season either. When my son is old enough to go I'm not sure that I'll take him ahead of time as we hunt private land anyway, plus it's on bow opener usually. I want to bow hunt, not take the kids out to screw up the duck pond for opener. I agree with anyone who's said they should be there for the real thing. What hunter's not going to give their kid first dibs on the best shots on their first hunt? Not many I know.

My cousin brought his son with for the first time two years ago when he was 11 on regular opener, he had a great time. He's still going with us now, he's hooked. Early goose season is a great time to introduce kids to waterfowl hunting too.

All I can say about it is that I sat in the blind for 6 hours waiting for the season to open when I was 10 years old. For me it has a lot to do with tradition. Yes I got bored sitting there but that is when the bonding between a son and dad/grandpa really happens. These parents today don't even know anything about there kids. I think that it is great that you get the chance to spend 6 hours with your son/daughter in the duck blind. I can remember listening to my grandpa tell stories of other opening days. I can remember vividly sharing a salmon sandwich with my grandpa because there was always copenhagen on the white bread after he took a bite. It is times like this that I remember the most. These times happened when we were sitting around waiting for the fire whistle to blow in town and the guns to start banging. My kid will be waiting with me in the blind on the real opener. To keep the tradtion alive.

[This message has been edited by duckbill (edited 09-09-2004).]

[This message has been edited by duckbill (edited 09-09-2004).]

A lot of people don't have the advantage of hunting private land on opener.Like I said before I have hunted public land for many years, I see a lot of bad habits going on out there. This is a good oppertunity for the kids to have success.If you think some kids hunting one day on a small slough there won't be ducks there the next week your crazy.I would bet big $ there would be ducks there the next day.It sounds like some of you are proving there should be a youth hunt, there is a lot of selfish people out there.Why as adults can't we give up the 1 day of bow hunting that last 3 months.Why do we have a 2 month duck season when it sounds like the ducks are going to be gone after the first weekend anyway.

I like it more than when I am hunting, I get to observe and work the dog, and my 9 year old son absolutely loves it.

We actually go to ND for the youth hunt(2 days and no pressure). This will be our second year and there is nothing better than a tradition to look forward to year after year.

Good luck to all and be safe.

I like it.
As long as its available, my kid is going.
If its not available, oh well, I don't care either way.

I really don't see any negative impact having the one day.
I see lots of positive impacts for kids.
Sure, the diehards(like myself), will bring the kids for the regular season anyway, but can anyone come up with a REAL reason as to what negative effects could come out of it?
I too have heard people say it forces ducks out early. Baloney. My kid took 4 shots last year on youth day and got 2 ducks.
We went out opening weekend and had 2 limits in an hour. Sure didn't hurt us, but it sure made his day the week prior.

Again, what are the real negatives of the day. What is going to be hurt? If there are no real threats, whats the big deal? I just don't get it.
If its available, use it. Your kid sure isn't going to hate you for it.

i am only 14 years old and an avid outdoorsman. I have friends that are also avid outdoorsmen. I think it is a wonderful idea to give kids a chance to hunt without much competition. Obviously a beginner hunter would not be hitting a good percentage of thier shots and therefore not crippiling many birds. Give us a break.

I also am only 15 and will be participating in my last youth hunt this year. I like the hunt because you really dont have to deal with all of the hunting pressure that goes on, on opening day. you dont have to compete for a spot. Its just not the hastle that you see during the regular season. I mean when i go out with my friends during the season we get up at 4 just to get out on the lake so we can get a decent spot. Its just a day set aside for the youth to enjoy.

for all you hot shots that think the youth hunt shouldnt exist your wrong. If you claim to be such good hunters and say that kids go threw 3 boxes and get 6 ducks and then u say if i got 3 boxes i could hit 50 thats just plain wrong to sit a brag on this site. and it should be even more fun and a challange to duck hunt. its not all about shooting ducks its about getting away from the busy life we all have and just having fun watching ducks fly around and if you get a few ducks its a plus

[This message has been edited by fishkid (edited 09-09-2004).]

I took exception to some of FISH AWAY's comments, although most were valid points.

Within reason I'd do almost anything for my children. In the same token when they go on their first duck hunt they aren't going to care if it's a special youth day or the season opener, as long as they have a good time & get some good shooting. If I had to hunt on public land I can see where the youth day might be a good advantage, a new line of thinking for me. Which is the good part of these forums, exchange info.

Someone asked our opinion of the opener & I happened to say I prefer to bowhunt then as that's the bow opener. I don't see how it makes me "selfish" to want to preserve a tradition I have to always bowhunt the opener with my cousin, when my son or daughter will be just as happy to hunt regular duck opener as a youth day. Incidentally this is another hunting tradition that I'll hopefully be able to pass on to my children if they're so inclined.

Everyone has their opinion, that was mine. I'm not sure how that proves we need a youth hunt (or proves we don't, either way) or that bowhunters are selfish fathers.

I think it's a good thing for the kids who dont get to go hunting that much during the season. Hopefully they get hooked and in return will care more about conservation and wetland management while they get older.

Last weekend we hunted a wheat field right next to a nice pond (we had permission to hunt both) with hundreds of mallards sitting in it. There was also probably 100 geese sitting in there. We never touched the pond because I know there will be people hunting it for YWD. Everytime I thought about setting up on the water I thought about some kid sitting in the blind asking dad why there are no ducks around. That was enough for me to hold off on shooting up that pond.

One thing I dont like about YWD is that any kid can go as long as they have someone over 18 go with. I think the kids should have to register for it and can only go once or twice a lifetime. That way you dont get the kids that go every year and just take advantage of the situation, and then hunt every weekend durning the season.

I would be in favor for a YWD during the season, second weekend or something so there are still a lot of birds around and a lot of hunters keeping them flyin from pond to pond.

duckbill your story sounds like what I was going to write as a follow-up. I remember sitting in the blind for 3-4 seasons before actually being able to hunt. My father made me identify the ducks and tell him if I thought they were in range or not. I will agree with those that have stated that there are some folks out there that need to be reminded of how to treat others as well as nature when in the field. But that can be emphasized to the youth during the regular season, when another party is doing something "wrong" it can be pointed out right away. If everyone "behaves" on the special day how can they learn from other peoples actions? I have always been taught to lead by example.

Bigbucks I am not indicating that you are selfish,the comment you made at the time was an example,I was leaning more toward all the comments I hear about this topic on and off this forum.I understand some people have bow hunting traditions as well as many other traditions,fishing,camping,holidays on and on. You have to have those moments. I just don't see any negative side to this as biglakeba$$ stated. Sorry, typed before thinking.

Absolutely I'm a punk, same to you biglakeba$$. You cracked me up.

I'd have to agree that although there may be "some" negative impact, it isn't that great & if you're hunting private land you can control that for the most part if you want anyway.

Some of my thoughts on not liking it have come from a friend of my father-in-laws, who's very opposed. I kind of agree with some of his thinking, but they don't really hold all that much water. He's very anti early goose season as well, which I definitely don't agree with. He doesn't want to hunt when it's hot, so doesn't want other people to either, in my opinion. I agree that part of it sucks, but it's also the time I'm most likely to hunt geese (as are a lot of guys I think). If that gets a few more geese killed overall that's the idea.

He's of the same school that only will shoot bucks too. I think what some people have in their mind is being a "purist" is really just not admiting to the shifts in game populations. There's about as many geese as ducks, or a lot closer than years ago, & there's dang near as many deer, maybe more.

I posted on fishkid's thread about lowering the age of gun training/youth hunt, etc. before I read this thread. How I missed it, not sure.

My opinion, whatever you can do to get a child hooked on hunting the better. They are the future of the sport, the duck population, etc. And also remember, you as a father figure, have the most influence on them. Use it wisely!!

I know the term 'competition' is brought up quite frequently. I sure hope that no matter how much 'competition' there is, the hunt is enjoyable and a positive experience no matter how many ducks are harvested.

I enjoy absolutely every moment I can with my dad in a duck blind, whether we harvest ducks or not. I'll go a step further and say some of my finest moments in life so far are myself, dad, and grandpa in deer camp at the same time. I have an awesome photo that hangs in my 'cube' at work of last years deer camp. I can only hope my son or daughter (if it happens someday) will be able to share the same experience.

Its all about the people around you sharing in activities you love to do. The results of that activity don't really matter to me.

Arguing against the Youth Waterfowl Day is like arguing against the flag, motherhood and apple pie, you can't win, but here goes.

In principle it sounds great, get kids out hunting. In reality, 98% of these kids would get out on the regular opener a week later, so whats the purpose? It just wises up the ducks and geese.

Let’s put this in a different perspective. YWD is a great idea right? So we need to get more women involved in hunting so let’s get a special Woman’s Waterfowl Weekend, who could argue against Woman’s Waterfowl Weekend, motherhood, and apple pie? Geez that worked so good, let’s get more minorities involved in hunting; let’s have a Minorities Waterfowl Weekend! Great idea! Who could argue against Minorities Waterfowl Weekend, motherhood, and apple pie? It’s a great idea!!! Get more people involved in hunting!! Oh, the white American male is getting discriminated against? You oaf, how can you argue against Youth Waterfowl Day, Woman’s Waterfowl Day, Minorities Waterfowl Day, motherhood, and apple pie???!

Bottom line is I don't like YWD because I can remember in my teens dragging boats thru muck, putting on chest waders and wading thru muck, getting stuck in muck, and also shooting lots of ducks. Theres no reason kids today can't get out, if they really want to. And as I said earlier, 98% of these kids will get out on the regular opener anyway, so whats the purpose?

I also don't like the precedent that it sets for upcoming pheasant and deer youth days. If I've been watching a 14 point buck all summer long, its not fair for some youth hunter to get first crack at him. All hunters, regardless of age, sex, or race should get an equal opportunity.

I know I'll get flamed for this post, I mean who in their right mind can argue against YWD, motherhood, and apple pie?

Great so a young girl would get 3 extra weekends? I think I will adopt!

My youth shot 4 ducks during the youth opener, and did not get a shot during the regular opener. Which one do you think he enjoyed more?

Yes, it is the experience of all aspects of the hunt, but if we wanted to go bird watching we could do that at anytime. Getting to bag a bird is part of the excitement! Otherwise, why would anyone bring a gun and not just a camera.

That was a very good post Blackjack! I don't think there is anything wrong with being a little selfish when it comes to hunting. Many of us look forward to it all year and this really is our only hobby. Wanting the best opportunities and the most enjoyment we can get is the reason we do it. I think we can still take our kids on the opener and they would have the same experience and we would be happy to. Now don't get me wrong, kids deserve every opportunity to have a great hunt. I just don't think we need to create a special season to do it. Now if we keep creating these special seasons, I would advocate for an early hunt for Norwegians!!!

If the youth day is available.
Use it. It is a treat.
Don't keep your kid out for the simple reason that you don't like it.

If it goes away, fine. Not a big deal at all. The kids will still hunt regardless of what seasons are available.

jlm
What did I ever do to you???? (PS my last name is Christianson) wink.gif

We are talking about kids not adults.How many times do you catch yourself telling your kids, shut off the lights,close the fridge,shut the door,pick up your cloths and so on.Same holds true with hunting,is the safty on,where is the gun pointed,those duck are to far and so on.In the reg book it states, Adult hunters are encouraged to introduce youth who are NEW to hunting and might not otherwise get a chance to participate. Consider inviting your child's NON-HUNTING friend.This is an oppertunite to introduce kids to somthing fun and exciting.I as an adult would feel better knowing that these kids are hunting on a YWD when they can be coached.I already worry about hunting public land on opener with all the people out there, now add in New and NON-HUNTING KIDS in there and we should all feel safe.