Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
JP Z

Preferred Shot size for Quackers?

JP Z

Okay,

I'm going to purchase a case of steel here and was curious what the majority of you use. I'll be hunting over deeks 80% of the time. Generally using a Benelli Nova or Black Eagle with 3" Shells. I've generally used #2 shot but I do buy an occasional box of 3 1/2" BB shot for the occasional Goose. I'm thinking if I want #1 or #2 shot or heck even #3 of #4's your opinions?

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

esoxguy2004

I'd go with #2's. Early in the season when the ducks probably haven't been shot at yet, you could get away with #3's or #4's because they are coming in pretty close and pretty fast. As the season goes on, I use #2's for their bigger size and heavier knock down strength. If you live in the St.Paul area, watch for Joe's Sporting Goods annual ammo sale Sept. 11. They will have Federal Speed Shok, 3" steel shot at $6.99 a box. And I do believe if you buy a case you get an additional $5 off the case price.

[This message has been edited by esoxguy2004 (edited 09-02-2004).]

duckbill

If you are buying a case of shells why don't you get a few of each. I bought a case at Sportsmans Wearhouse last year and they let me mix shot sizes as long as they were the same price. I shoot 2's and 3's for ducks over the dekes. I may use a box of 4's for opening day. A lot of close in teal. If you hit a teal head one with a 3.5" 2 you won't have to clean it because the feathers should be off when it hits the water. Just my thoughts.

CRAPPIEBAIT

I'll even step up to bb's for the northern birds late season.They get thicker quicker up there and you gotta knock em out of the sky !

------------------
Greg

duckbill

I agree with Crappiebait on that account. Those late season northern mallards sometimes take bb's to knock out of the sky.

Roosterslayer05

I shoot 3 inch #2's till midseason then switch to BB for those late season canadien mallerds.

Mark Christianson

#3 if its early season, and we have woodies and teal around.
#1 or 2 if Mallards are around

Late season, BB or #1

I also bought a mixed case of shot sizes, just for the reasons above. Depends what time of year, where I am at, and what is flying.

JP Z

I went with a case of #2's should've maybe bought a mixed case but these were Estate so I think I'll pick up some other ammo in BB.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

jblabsnduck

I start with 3" 4 shot for the first two weeks and then switch over to 3 1/2" 2s for the rest of the season. 2s work just fine for everything from late season mallards to big honks and the late season and early spring snow geese.
Use whatever has worked for you in the past.

CRAPPIEBAIT

FARLEY, Get a copy of the new waterfowl regs.It might change your thinkin on the "T" shot.

------------------
Greg

JP Z

Crappiebait,

What do you mean. I just scanned through the Regs and the supplimental info and didn't see anything. What should we be looking for.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

CRAPPIEBAIT

I don't have my copie with me,but I "thought" I read in there about the bennifit of useing steele and something about the proper size shot.I'm almost willing to go out on a limb here and say they have discontinued making some of the T's & F's.I may not have read this there I'll do some research when I get home.So before anyone over reacts to my comments,DON'T.But I did read something about it. smile.gif

------------------
Greg

Farley

Huh, I guess I never heard anything about that. If it's true, it's a darn good thing I have some left over from last year. I like shooting the T shot with my shotgun since it only loads 2 3/4 inch shells, but I have access to a 870 that I can use for geese and load up with 3" BB or BBB. But I cant imagine that they would discontinue T and F shot.

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 09-02-2004).]

fishkid

i use 3inch #1 and #2 i buy a box or 2 of bbs for the geese that comma flyin around me but one kids day hunt i used 7 shot steel and killed a goose but ya

No, it's the F shot that is no longer made. Only T's, BBB and lower is now available.

Anyhow, I used to shoot 4's. When we switched to steel they said to use 2 numbers higher than you would with lead. I shot 6's so 4's was what I went with. Show's how much the so-called experts knew at the time about steel.

For really close, in-yo-face type shooting, 4's did the job, but out 30 yards, they quickly loose their punch.

Now I shoot 2's almost all season. I will however, go to 1's a little later when the big Northern, down-filled mallards arrive. Need that little extra to penatrate the feathers and fat grin.gif

bigbucks

I use 3" #3 generally for ducks & some #2's. Often I'll start out with 2 3's & the last shell being a 2 thinking that's likely to be a longer shot if I get to it.

Nitebiter

I still dont understand why people insist on shooting T's and F's..???? I kill geese fine with 2's or BB's.. I might switch to t's and f's for skyblasting if thats what I did, but a 3" load of steel BB's will anihilate a decoying goose at 30 yards. I've seen the same effects with 2's. And if your decoying wont your shots be under 30 yards anyway?? Gotta shoot em in the lips!! You can shoot em in the @$$ all you want with cannon balls and it still aint gonna kill em!!

Geese I shoot 3 1/2" BBB. Sometimes I load up my last shot with a Hevi-Shot #2. Find the highest velocity in steel you can get in my opinion. I have used several loads from several companies and all around the new federal loads work VERY WELL. Ducks I use strictly #4 from early to late season. I have dropped several late season Geese at 30-40yds with them - dead. Given the choice I'd load up BBB though. I used 2's and 3's when steel came out but it has come a long ways and now it just seems 4's do the trick. I think there is better penetration with the smaller pellets and now that the speed is getting up there they also have some knockdown power that carries out a little further. For some reason i have been stubborn about trying that out for geese just because of my confidence in the BBB's. My choices are probably more effective for me because that is what patterns well out of my gun with the choke I use.

Eric Wettschreck

I shoot 2's at ducks and BBB's at geese.

It's a lot easier to only have 2 different kinds of shells for me to keep track of.

outdoor ran

I buy whats on sale or has the best rebate. Weather thats bb,1,2,3,4. Doesn't matter what you throw at them if you dont hit them smile.gif

Farley

I use #4 Kent Fasteel for opener thru late October, then move on to 1 or 2 shot for the rest of the year. But also keep a box of BBB or T for geese (I can only shoot 2 3/4 out of my Winchester).

BLACKJACK

Four steel opening weekend, two steel after that. The two steel is also a good pheasant load, so I just stick to that, don't have to worry about having the wrong size shells in.

F shot for geese on early goose season.

CRAPPIEBAIT

FARLEY & jpz,

Read page 35 in the waterfowl regs.

------------------
Greg

Bushwacker

I am a big fan of Kent Fasteel. I shot it all last year and either my shooting was better(doubtfull) or the Kents have some good knockdown power. I shoot 4's early and 2's after a couple of weeks into the season. For geese I use BB's, but I was talking to a guide at the Game Fair and he said all he shoots is Kent Fasteel #1's for geese. I too think velocity is the key to the new steel loads.

BLACKJACK

CRAPPIEBAIT, that is interesting! It proves that bigger isn't always better!!! Might have to rethink on that F shot and save it for cats and coyotes!

I do know my brother has shot a lot of geese with that F shot and swears by it. When you hit them, down they come.