• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waterfowl baiting question

Yeah,it is tough to get them in to shooting range.So this year I found some rows of corn that did not grow or got washed out.I figured if I set up some super mags in that area and big foots in the mowed grass,it would look like a nice place for them to "get some rest"ha ha.

------------------
Greg

I don't really have a good place to go, where there's any geese consistently, but my hayfield was just cut on Friday. I figure I'll just put the decoys out in the hayfield by the house & leave them there all season. Last year my then five year-old says to me the last night of the early season, as we're driving the truck about 30 yards from the dekes: "Dad, one of the decoys is moving!" He was right, but not for long. I can't say I worked very hard for that goose, but it sure was funny.

Tom,

In regards to your thoughts on edible beans...were you implying that a cut hay field adjacent to a bean field would be a good set up? I have permission to hunt a field this year but it is beans instead of corn. The adjacent field is alfalfa and was wondering if when the alfalfa gets gut, if it would be good to set decoys in the cut field but be close to the beans? Also, how attractive are cut bean fields for geese?

Geese dont like regular soy beans, edible beans like green beans would be more the ticket or even kidney beans- i had a real slaughter here in kidney beans a few years back..

Is it considered "Baiting" if I mow some tall grass next to standing corn so the birds have a place to land & to put out more docoys.I read the rules and regs,but it's worded so goofy.ANY help would be great,since I'll be there next weekend.

THANK YOU !!!!!!

------------------
Greg

This is a confusing area for sure, I agree! However, mowing grass is "normal" farming practice so you should be just fine. Besides, you are in no way baiting them in, you are only improving habitat! Now if you mowed down a few corn stalks in the process, that would be considered baiting! Good luck!

If the crops themselves havnt been manipulated in any way to attract the birds, then it should be ok.

However, Geese will bypass a field with standing corn. Your best bet would be to find a picked grain field or even a hay field. Better yet if you can find a farmer with a field of edible beans.

But since we can hunt over water now, that's where I'd be, on a lake where they roost. Get em comming back in the afternoon from their morning feed.
Good Luck.

Nitebiter, I hate to differ but I have seen guys hammer geese in a soy bean fields. The geese wouldn't stop coming into them.4 guys had there limit in less than a half hour. Maybe they just got lucky but after they left the geese kept coming into that field.

I have never in my life seen them in a soy bean field. Deer yes, goose no. However, you just never know. It really depends on what there is to eat for them in the area. Good luck!

I have also seen guys hammer them in a pumpkin patch, that's right a pumpkin patch. It blew my mind away that these guys where killen geese in a pumpkin patch.
You just never know what those birds will do.
Good luck to all this weekend.

I've only seen geese in soy fields only a couple of times, but have heard they will come into them. And have friends swear they shoot the heck out of em there.

Yes, EDIBLE beans such as kidneys or anything like that is about as good as you can get in regards to geese. And it's not too hard to get permision to hunt these since the farmers would like to see all the geese dead that ravage their fields.

I have hunted on mowed alfalfa and have had some luck, mowed hay is good too. There are lots of grass seed that is in those fields that they will eat.

But it all comes down to being where they want to go, even in the same field, if you are not where they have been or want to be, your shoots will be sub-par. I usually look for droppings and feathers before I set up and then set the spread right on top of that area.

Good luck!

Hey fellas. I don't wanna start a feud or anything, but I hunt combined soybean fields all the time here. Sure, I hunt corn, oats, and hay fields also. I've had about the same amount of luck in all of them.

I think one of the main things for these early geese is they just want a place that looks "safe" to set down.I recall one of my best early season hunts took place on a sod field in ham lake area.This is why I mowed the grass down around the washed out corn rows.If they see a few birds there as good as committed.

I lay out cut up lawn bags as fake water and that seems to work quite good.Like I said b/4,I think as long as they see other birds in there they think it's safe.WRONG !!!!!!!

------------------
Greg

Hey Crappie, how big of an area do you cover with those bags? I lost my pond this week and I am forced to hunt a hay field and would like to give the plastic water a try. I have a bunch of black plastic, but I am not sure how much to put out. Do you set any dekes in the plastic pond? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

lt

The "pond" I set out is only about 80'x 90' but a buddy of mine set up a huge one lastyear after seeing what I did.Kinda crumple it up,don't want to make it flat looking.Yes I do put decoys on it.I use shells on the plastic and bigfooters around the edge.

Oh yeah,the one my buddy did, is like 100'x 200' give or take when wrinkles are added.He had pretty good luck lastyear on his "pond".
I do this after waterfowl opener and it is a blast when those little teal come screamin through.They just can't land on it like normal water for some reason.Many a good laughs at that on.

------------------
Greg

Thanks Crappie, we're going to give it a try...if nothing else it is going to give us a lot of laughs hunting over our make believe water!!! I'll let you know how we do.

lt

Okay, tell me you guys with your "fake" water aren't just taking us all on a little computer "snipe hunt".

I have hunted soybeans in a pinch when it was the only thing i could get on, but ive never seen geese land in a soybean field on their own, the decoys just stick out real nice so they work em nice if your a decent caller... I've also heard, but havent confirmed that they dont really like soybeans as well because they have problems digesting them or something along those lines..
As for the pumpkin patch I beleive it! Lol I've seen geese in some pretty stupid areas, im actually gonna take out my lawn mower and mow a goose meadow on the hill out in a field of my grandpas that didnt get seeded in time this spring by the renters. Hopefully the **** thats growing out there stays green and I'll be able to kill em there!

No, the "Fake Water" is not a joke.

I hunted with an old timer once who told me about the trick. Said it works best in picked corn fields where there is not alot of other water around.

Never had the need to rty it, but if I have to, I will not hesitate.

Thanks for backing me up Tom !!If there is one thing I do not B.S. about is hunting and fishing.I know you guy's are reading this thinkin "yeah right,make a fool out me".I would never do that.Don't get me wrong thou,you WILL turn a head or 2 if people can see you.Trust me guys IT WORKS.

------------------
Greg

Hey I figured you guys were probably serious, but the snipe hunting thing just seem to fitting to pass up.

If there seemed to be any significant amount of geese near my place I might actually try. Like somebody said, so what if you look stupid, if it works. Dead geese are dead geese.

Does the "fake water" thing work on the side of a hill? :P

You say you're using "lawn bags..." what are those? Would a blue tarp, as I read elsewhere, do as well?

Thanks!

Not sure about the side of a hill,never tried it.As far as the blue tarp,WAY TO BLUE.
If you've ever looked at any air photos,you'll notice water is almost black or darker gray.So that's what I went off.

------------------
Greg

I know of people using Sran Wrap for this purpose and they have been very successful. Let a few land to see the look in their eyes!!!! I have never tried it because I have heard that it is illegal to do this. Anyone know if there is anything on the books about this?

I've never heard anything about it being illegal.I had the local DNR advisor fly over my spread about 1000 times lastyear and she never wrote me a ticket.

------------------
Greg