Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
walleye vision

Geese in the Hay?

walleye vision

Got some questions for you all. Just got an oportunity to hunt on a farmer's 80 acres, around the area of Pequot Lakes and Pine River.

1st question:
Anyone ever hunted geese up there? if so how is it?

2nd question:
The land is mostly hay field (about 60 acres) and the rest is planted with oats. Has anyone ever hunted in oat or hat fields? I figure it may be tough getting geese in because of nearby corn fields, and don't know if it is worth my time.

hopefully one of you has some answers.

W.V.

I have never hunted that area first off. Geese do like oats and as long as the field has been picked they may come in. Geese will also frequent a hay field if it has been recently cut or the grass is still short. If there are local corn fields that have been chopped for silage the geese may amd probably will prefer them. There are alot of variables though. How many geese are in the area, pressure or other hunters moving birds, is your field in a flight path from water to their main feeding field. Get up early one morning prior to season and see what is moving and where, they may get up to feed at daybreak to 9am generally. They may also change their paths from day to day depending on feed and pressure but at least you may get a good idea of what's around. I really don't mind being on a marginal field if I can't get on a main feeding field as long as their are geese around. Once the shooting starts and groups get broken up they tend to scatter. Can make for a good shoot on singles and doubles. Just a few thoughts, hope they help.

duckbill

I am hunting cut oat fields in the early season. I have had pretty good success in the early season when all the corn is still standing. One thing that I have noticed is that when the oats/hay has more than about 3 inches of stubble they won't land in it. The shorter that it is cut the better. I have seen a lot of geese the last week in the cut fields out feeding in the morning.

Eric Wettschreck

Where I live, down here in the absolute middle of nowhere, oats, hay, and corn fields are where we shoot the geese. I've got them from all 3. They love oats, especially right after a field has been combined. Hay fields are good as long as they are short.

catmaster1557

I have a cabin over by bling lake. (about 15 miles from oine river.) Have hunted in a farmers hay field and just hammered the geese. They were comming from all directions to feed. You should have a success.