Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
erikwells

San Antonio Texas in May

16 posts in this topic

I travel from time to time for work and try to fish when I have some freetime. I have had the opportunity to fish Missouri catfish and Destin Florida King Mackeral. I will be in San Antonio Texas in May. Doe's anyone have any suggestions? Port Lavaca (Gulf of Mexico)is about 150 miles from San Antonio. There is a pier there and I am thinking of giving it a try. I guess there is good catfish and Striper not too far away from San Antonio as well. I think I am leaning towards fishing the saltwater. Anyone have any info or ideas?

Yeah,
Get a big trunk with a flight suit & an oxygen tank in it and take me with ya. Anything I don't know, I'll make up.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Me too!!!! I love San Antonio!!!!!

------------------
Phyl

I have relatives in San Antonio. My Dad was stationed at Goodfellow AFB in near-by San Angelo,TX. "Near-by" down there is alot further away than it is here! Anyway, they have been after me to come down and do a little fishing in the rivers around San Antonio and also go to the coast and fish for Shark. I guess they have some prime wild pig hunting to boot! Sounds too good to be true!.....Well, It could happen..."Honey, Mind if I drive down to Texas for a couple of weeks?"

GOOD LUCK!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I lived in Comfort for a short while,which is not too farr from San Antone.I never got the chance fish the coast but we fished the Guadalupe river for bass.I believe they were Texas Spotted bass.YOu could wade the river and fish them just like fishin smallies.It was great fun!Just watch out for the cotton mouths,rattlers,and scorpion.

Fishead, you confirmed it looks like Port lavaca and ocean fishing. I don't wade with snakes. I will be staying at a 5 star hotel on the riverwalk and the folks that will be traveling with me will be interested in hitting a golfball and hanging around the walk. Looks like I will be solo again. Oh well I fish with others as well as I do by myself. There is an outside chance I will be in New Orleans in early March for a day or two. I may have to fish the speckled trout and redfish in the bays should I get the chance. I will be sure to send an update. Robertc you can't come with. You would be nothing more than a bad influence and I am sure I would attend zero seminars with you along.

Awww - I have to be a bad influence on someone! It just clicked in my head that you're talking about San Antonio. I did basic training at Lackland AFB just outside of San Antonio, and I seem to remember there is a river that runs right through downtown. If my guess is correct, you wouldn't be opposed to throwing in a line from a pedestrian causeway. Might have a hard time finding a bait shop amongst the TGI Fridays, Tower Records and GAP stores.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Hi, I recently moved to WI from Corpus Christi, TX. If you've got time head down to North Padre Island. It's In Corpus Christi and the fishing in May ought to be really picking up. Ask anybody down there how to get to Bob Hall Pier. There are some massive sharks caught off of that pier. The website is bobhallpier.com Just look at the pictures section and you'll see some of the stuff you can catch. Let me know if you go and I'll tell ya how to catch one of those beasts. Robert

EX TEXAN,

Well great to see another texan migrating north lol im from mission texas and you are right fishing in either south or north padre island is a great experience. you can catch almost anything with the minimum attempt to do so.

ex texan and uspenamc, shark would be fun. Is shark fishing more of a night thing?

Nice to meet you USPENAMC, Mission is down by the border if I'm not mistaken heh? EW, the big brutes are nocturnal, but you can catch anklebiters (smaller sharks) all day long. There are also big stingrays, drum, king mackerel, etc.

I learned something on the San Antonio/Texas site. Braunig and Calaveras resevoirs near San Antonio have Red Drum (Redfish) stocked in them. I had no idea that you could take a fish that is indegenous to saltwater could be put in freshwater. I can't cath Redfish in MN. Looks like it will be the resevoir for me in May.

Anybody please correct me if i'm wrong, but I think redfish habitat salt-marches and flats. That being so, they would inhabit waters that are kind of salty, kind if fresh...whatever that term is for freshwater mixing with saltwater.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Kind of neat to know, Texas Parks & Wildlife also tried to stock Tarpon in Braunig Lake some years back. Hybrid stripers are another stocked fish. TPW also used to stock Corvina, some kind of odd fish from Calif I believe. Looked alot like a spotted seatrout. Out of the two lakes (Calaveras & Braunig) Calaveras is a much better place to fish. It's quite a bit bigger and gets a little less pressure than Braunig. For stripers troll chrome and blue rattletraps or soak chicken livers. Yes, you heard me right... chicken livers! If you wanna catch a red, use a live crawdad along rocky bottom. All the local-yokel baitshops sell crawdads so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Ex-texan I believe they also stock Tilapia.

RobertC, Estuarian waters would be the mixing point/area of fresh and salt water.